MLB Chatter Thread

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
He hasn't started to decline. He had a very nice year, just a bad postseason. He'll continue to perform even after he balloons up to a crazy size, but then he'll just move to DH and be a fat power hitting slob like Ortiz.
I tend to agree with you but the potential for a Ryan Howard-like decline/contract albatross the last 4 years of the contract is there. Prince has been a total ironman so far though and has managed to avoid injury but these big guys who hit for power can fall off pretty fast.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I tend to agree with you but the potential for a Ryan Howard-like decline/contract albatross the last 4 years of the contract is there. Prince has been a total ironman so far though and has managed to avoid injury but these big guys who hit for power can fall off pretty fast.
Maybe we can trade Andrus for him.

~outta here~

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Maybe we can trade Andrus for him.

~outta here~
I'm guessing this has something to do with previously suggesting that they'd be nuts to not trade Andrus for Matt Kemp? If so, apple to oranges. Kemp is an OF that should be able to stick in the OF for several years while Fielder is a bad-bodied 1B who is destined for DH duty within the next couple of seasons. The physique/position makes a huge difference.

Rev

Staff member
I'm guessing this has something to do with previously suggesting that they'd be nuts to not trade Andrus for Matt Kemp? If so, apple to oranges. Kemp is an OF that should be able to stick in the OF for several years while Fielder is a bad-bodied 1B who is destined for DH duty within the next couple of seasons. The physique/position makes a huge difference.
Yes, it was tongue in cheek statement.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
He hasn't started to decline. He had a very nice year, just a bad postseason. He'll continue to perform even after he balloons up to a crazy size, but then he'll just move to DH and be a fat power hitting slob like Ortiz.
He had a decent year and probably the worst of his career. I wouldn't call it a very nice year by any means, especially for 24 million. If you're paying him 15 million then it's a very nice year. His last 3 years his OPS has gone from .981 to .940 to .819. To me that's a decline. Maybe last year was just a down year, which could be the case. Plus, no HR's or RBI's in the playoffs is not getting your money's worth either. I just don't see him as a top 5 player in baseball, including pitchers, but he's being paid like one.

D

Deuce

He had a decent year and probably the worst of his career. I wouldn't call it a very nice year by any means, especially for 24 million. If you're paying him 15 million then it's a very nice year. His last 3 years his OPS has gone from .981 to .940 to .819. To me that's a decline. Maybe last year was just a down year, which could be the case. Plus, no HR's or RBI's in the playoffs is not getting your money's worth either. I just don't see him as a top 5 player in baseball, including pitchers, but he's being paid like one.
A big problem with his OPS was his lack of protection in the lineup. Until late July or early August, Victor Martinez might have been the worst hitting DH in the AL.

D

Deuce

@Buster_ESPN: Royals ready to talk about Billy Butler deal for teams that would take on DH owed $8 million in '14, $12m in 2015.

Yes, please. We can send them back Jake Odorizzi and others.

Rev

Staff member
I want in on that

Tony D

DCC 4Life
A big problem with his OPS was his lack of protection in the lineup. Until late July or early August, Victor Martinez might have been the worst hitting DH in the AL.
Could be a factor. Look at Cano though. He had nobody in front of or behind him and he had the 3rd highest OPS of his career and 2nd highest OPS+.

Rev

Staff member
Could be a factor. Look at Cano though. He had nobody in front of or behind him and he had the 3rd highest OPS of his career and 2nd highest OPS+.
Contract years don't count.....

Rev

Staff member
It does when you have the other teams castoffs batting in front of and behind Cano.
I know what you are trying to say but there is always something magical about a contract year.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
I know what you are trying to say but there is always something magical about a contract year.
I hear you. So if Jeter, Texiera and Arod were healthy this year Cano would've really had an amazing season. Probably true Rev.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Lester the great. :towel

Cards are gonna be dispatched in about 5 games.

D

Deuce

Lester the great. :towel

Cards are gonna be dispatched in about 5 games.
There's talk that some media members have footage of Lester possibly doctoring the ball last night. MLB is going to look at the footage. I hope it's true. F the BoSox.

Rev

Staff member
According to one of the Ranger beat writers the Rangers don't have Tanaka ranked as high as Yu.

Translation: Ranger fans don't expect the Rangers to spend for him.

Top Bottom