Bears Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Romo Knows Improved Play Is Vital Against Bears; Happy For Full Week To Prepare
Sunday, November 30, 2014 4:00 PM CST

By Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas - If Tony Romo had last week to do all over again, the Cowboys’ quarterback admitted Sunday he would’ve changed a few things regarding his approach to the short week against the Eagles.

But hesitant of sounding like he was making excuses for his performance on Thanksgiving Day, it was even more clear that Romo would’ve much rather changed a few things that occurred against the Eagles on the field as well.

“More than anything, the short week, it’s tough on everyone,” Romo said. “There’s no excuses. We needed to play better. No matter which way you look at it, it wasn’t good enough.”
And statistically, Romo was the worst of the season, failing to throw a touchdown pass, which ended his personal streak of 38 games, which is a Cowboys’ franchise record and the fifth-longest in NFL history.

Romo’s 53.7 rating was lower than his Week 1 game against the 49ers, who picked off him three times for a 60.8 rating. Both games ended with a home loss as Romo has just one touchdown pass and five interceptions in those two games. He only has three interceptions combined in his other nine starts this year.

In both cases, Romo acknowledged his preparation has been altered somewhat by the schedule. Getting his back ready to play each game has been challenging. And that continued on Sunday when the Cowboys held him out of practice like a typical Wednesday, or four days before kickoff. This week, the schedule is altered with the Thursday night game in Chicago, but at least Romo is getting a full seven days between games.

Romo said the back didn’t “fire off” like he wanted it to against the Eagles, but said he expects a much better performance this week.

“It’s getting better,” Romo said of his back. “I think getting back to what feels like a normal routine will help this week. Doing the little things to help you get where you need to be. It’s the first time you’ve ever had a short week, you had to figure out what we thought was the best. Looking back, I think I’d change a few things. I don’t think we have any more short weeks this year so that’ll be a benefit moving forward.”

Cotton

Staff member
Henry Melton's matchup with Bears finally here
December, 1, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Henry Melton spent the first five years of his career with the Chicago Bears. He made his first Pro Bowl as a Bear. He was given the team’s franchise tag for 2013 because of how valuable he was viewed by the team.

Three games into the season he tore his anterior cruciate ligament and the Bears did not attempt to keep him as a free agent in the offseason.

“That’s how it goes,” Melton said. “You know, it’s a business: one day, you’re a franchise player and the next year you’re gone. It’s no hard feelings, but it’s a business.”

When Melton signed a one-year deal with the Dallas Cowboys with a three-year option, he knew the Bears were on the schedule. He gets the chance to see his old team on Thursday at Soldier Field.

“I don’t want to say it’s been circled, but I’ve been looking forward to it,” Melton said.

Melton’s return to Chicago isn’t the only reunion. Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli was with the Bears from 2009-12. The Bears have four players (Jeremiah Ratliff, Danny McCray, Terrance Mitchell and Dante Rosario) and four coaches (Joe DeCamillis, Reggie Herring, Paul Pasqualoni and Skip Peete) with ties to the Cowboys.

“Sometimes it happens when someone goes there and then they know a lot of guys and then maybe a couple of coaches will go there and then sometimes players follow because when you’re looking for players, 'Yeah, I had that guy in Dallas. He’s a good player. He can fit for us,’” coach Jason Garrett said. “Sometimes that happens and that adds a little momentum to the flow of players there.”

Cotton

Staff member
Tony Romo hopes “normal routine” helps this week

Posted by Josh Alper on December 1, 2014, 10:00 AM EST

The calendar said it was Sunday and there were football games going on around the country, but it was Wednesday at the Cowboys’ Valley Ranch headquarters.

The Cowboys were back to work after last Thursday’s loss to the Eagles to start preparing for this Thursday’s game with the Bears. Coach Jason Garrett had the team on their normal Wednesday schedule so that they could be back on the same routine they normally use to prepare for games after a short week last week that Tony Romo said didn’t work out as hoped.

“It’s the first time that we had a short week so we had to figure out what we thought was best,” Romo said, via the Dallas Morning News. “When I look back I think I would change a couple of things. Saying that, I don’t think we have any more short weeks this year so that will be a benefit going forward.”

Romo didn’t practice on Sunday since he normally doesn’t practice on Wednesdays while doing exercises for his back. Romo practiced every day last week and said that it would be a good thing for the team to be back on the normal schedule.

“Getting back into what feels like the normal routine will help this week,” Romo said. “The little things that help you get to where you need to be.”

The Cowboys didn’t do the little things or the big things well against the Eagles and they’ll need to be much sharper this time around if they’re going to remain in the hunt for the NFC East title. If they can, they’ll come into their second matchup with the Eagles coming off a regular practice week and with a real chance to reverse the damage done on Thanksgiving.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
This game determines our fate.

Win it, and I think we find a way to get one more and probably get into the playoffs at 10-6. If we lose, then losing out entirely is a possibility, but I can't see them doing better than 9-7 of they blow this one.

Cotton

Staff member
Scout’s Eye: Bears’ Dynamic Duo Of Jeffery and Forte Poses A Steep Challenge
Sunday, November 30, 2014 3:00 PM CST

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

IRVING, Texas – It’s remarkable how similar the Bears’ top two playmakers look to the guys we’re familiar with here in Dallas.

As the Cowboys prepare for this road trip to Chicago, they’ll have to find a way to deal with a physical, game-changing receiver and a remarkably well-rounded running back. In a lot of ways, the duo of Alshon Jeffery and Matt Forte reminds me of Dez Bryant and DeMarco Murray.

On top of that, Chicago boasts a phenomenal rookie cornerback whose name I think we’ll hear plenty on Thursday.

Weapon: Alshon Jeffery, WR

Of all the skill players on this Bears offense, Alshon Jeffery is the one player that worries me the most.

I mean this as no disrespect to Brandon Marshall or Matt Forte, because they are outstanding players in their own right -- but Jeffery is a totally different animal. His physical appearance and ability to use it to his advantage makes him such a difficult player to defend.

It is clear when you study these Bears on tape that Marc Trestman is creating plays to get him the ball up the field, all while using his length on the play. He is a high-point receiver in every sense of the word, and even when corners are in position to make a play his reach enables to him finish the play. Another area where Jeffery shows up during games is on third downs. Trestman will put him in bunch formations or tight to the formation to give him space to work with. There are snaps where as soon as Jay Cutler gets the ball, his eyes focus quickly on Jeffery and his route.

He is one of the best in the league when it comes to positioning his body in a way where cornerbacks have no shot at making a play on the ball. Where Jeffery is also difficult to deal with is down in the red zone. One of the best plays that the Bears have is a screen where he is paired to the same side with Brandon Marshall and they throw Jeffery the ball while Marshall blocks at the point of attack. It’s a difficult play to defend.

Nemesis: Matt Forte, RB

As important as DeMarco Murray is to this Cowboys offense, Matt Forte is the same for the Bears. When you talk about the complete backs in this league, he and Murray are the first two that you hear mentioned.
Like Murray, it is rare that you ever see Forte come off the field. He leads the Bears in both rushing and receiving, which speaks volumes for the type of player that he is. His running style is very similar to Murray, as well. There is that initial burst to get through the line, but not an extended one. His upper and lower body power is what makes up for his lack of home run speed.

He is such a physical player with the ball in his hands and does an outstanding job of finishing runs. The more that Forte carries the ball, the tougher he is to bring down. I like the way that Marc Trestman uses him in this scheme other than just a running back. It is not uncommon to see him line up outside wide as a receiver, and his skill level out in space like that makes him a dangerous threat.

He can run quality routes and his hands are outstanding. It looks likely that Rod Marinelli will match him with a linebacker to that side -- which a difficult assignment to deal with.

Under The Radar: Kyle Fuller, CB

When I was working on the college draft this past year, my favorite cornerback that I studied was Kyle Fuller out of Virginia Tech. I thought his style of play was perfect for what Rod Marinelli does with his corners when it comes to what is required of them in both man and zone coverage.

I was also impressed with his ability to line up in the slot and use his stop-start quickness to carry his man all over the field. His reactions were some of the best that I had observed of those corners coming out of the draf,t and he has shown that trait several times during his rookie season. I also grew to respect his toughness, as well.

He is not afraid to stick his nose in the action when the ball comes in his direction. In this scheme for the Bears, he will draw the most difficult assignments in coverage. Last week against the Lions, he was matched against Calvin Johnson and had a rough day, but to his credit there was not one time where he backed away from the challenge. In this matchup against the Cowboys, there is little doubt in my mind that defensive coordinator Mel Tucker will ask him to take Dez Bryant and that would allow him to focus his safeties in the middle of the field to deal with Jason Witten and also help in the running game.

Cotton

Staff member
Slow defensive starts for Cowboys must stop against Bears
December, 1, 2014

By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Only the Oakland Raiders have allowed more points on the first possession of a game than the 41 allowed by the Dallas Cowboys.

No team has allowed more than the five first-possession touchdowns the Cowboys have allowed.

This is an awful trend Jason Garrett and Rod Marinelli need to fix immediately, especially when you consider the Cowboys’ philosophy this season hinges on getting the lead and using a ball-control offense to keep the defense off the field.

“It’s not like we call the same defense on every first down or every first part of the game,” Garrett said. “There’s always variety there. You want to look at what’s happened and why it’s happened and you want to address it.

“If there’s a trend, you say, “We need to do this better, we need to stop doing this and we need to do more of that or whatever those answers. We want to start fast. There’s an emotional component to that. There’s an emotional component, there’s a physical component, there’s a technical component, and there’s a call component. You look at it and make the necessary adjustments”

When the defense stinks early, it puts way too much pressure on the offense to convert early third-down situations because if they’re not, they might fall behind 14-3 or 14-0 as they’ve done the past two weeks.

Just so you know, Chicago totaled 268 yards and scored on each of its first four possessions against Dallas last season en route to a 45-28 win.

In the Cowboys’ last three games, Jacksonville drove 80 yards on nine plays with its first possession to take a 7-0 lead. The New York Giants drove 80 yards on 13 plays on their first possession, grabbing a 7-0 lead, and totaled 226 yards and 17 points on their first three possessions.

Philadelphia took the ball 80 yards on nine plays on their first possession for a 7-0 lead and had 17 points and 235 yards after three possessions.

The Eagles had just two negative plays on their first 24 snaps, and each was followed by a gain of 10 yards or more on the next play.

“These plays build on each other," Garrett said. "When we had some success later in the game we made a tackle for loss, a sack or minus play that got them off schedule. It’s critical we start fast and make stops."

Cotton

Staff member
Last year's trip to Chicago cold, embarrassing
December, 1, 2014

IRVING, Texas -- Ask some Dallas Cowboys what they remember most from last season's loss to the Chicago Bears, and the answer is the same.

"It was cold," quarterback Tony Romo.

The Cowboys have never played a regular-season game that was colder. The temperature at kickoff was 8 degrees. The only game colder in franchise history was the Ice Bowl, aka the 1967 NFL Championship against the Green Bay Packers, when it was minus-13 at kickoff.

It was cold but it was also embarrassing. The Cowboys lost 45-28.

The Bears scored on their first eight possessions. The only time they didn't score was to take a knee on the last play of the game. Josh McCown threw four touchdown passes and completed 27 of 36 passes for 348 yards. Brandon Marshall had six catches for 100 yards. Alshon Jeffery had five catches for 84 yards. Matt Forte ran for 102 yards.

The Bears had 490 yards and 33 first downs.

Coach Jason Garrett said looking at last year's tape can be helpful this week. Maybe if the Cowboys want to know what not to do.

"You can get some stuff from it, but we're a different team, they're a different team," Garrett said. "That was a long time ago."

Said center Travis Frederick, "It's not as much about the emotion behind it, about them getting after us, or us getting after anybody. I do go back and look at the game and look at it tactically. How did we handle the stretch? How did we handle pass blocking? All of that happens, so you can look at it really objectively and emotion really comes out of it. It's not as much about that as it is really just focusing on what their tendencies, how they're going to play it, how much better they've gotten and the things we need to improve on."

One thing that will be different is the temperature. The forecast calls for temperatures to be close to freezing with no precipitation and 10-15 mph winds.

"Whatever the conditions are," Frederick said, "we want to get back to who we are."

Cotton

Staff member
Scout's Eye: Battle Of All-Pros Could Determine Cowboys' Offensive Success
Monday, December 01, 2014 10:23 AM CST

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

IRVING, Texas -- A look at what I think we'll be the two mosty crucial matchups in Thursday night's game against the Bears:

Cowboys CB Brandon Carr against Bears WR Alshon Jeffery

It is rare that Rod Marinelli matches his corners with certain receivers in game plans, but this week against the Bears I could see a situation where he will want to put Orlando Scandrick on Brandon Marshall because of his physical traits.

Marinelli will feel like Jeffery has the size but not the quickness or speed of Marshall. Marshall tends to play more inside anyway, and that is right up Scandrick’s alley. As important as Matt Forte is to this Bears offense, I believe it is Alshon Jeffery that they rely on the most when it comes to making a clutch play. He presents himself as a friendly target -- not only because of his size, but also his ability to finish the play.

You can watch Jay Cutler take the snap and follow his route the whole entire time. What helps Carr in this matchup is that Jeffery is not going to run away from him, and this will allow him to stay in position throughout the route. Then it comes down to him having to make a play on the ball. What Carr has to be ready for is how much Jeffery likes to push and shove at the top of the route to gain separation --because it’s going to happen.

There is no question it has been a difficult season for Brandon Carr but this defense needs him to be on the screws, because they cannot afford to allow this matchup to be one sided.

Cowboys OT Tyron Smith against Bears DE Jared Allen

Early in the week Tyron Smith, went through a bout with a stomach virus that knocked him down for a day or two, but he is back at his job focusing on the matchup with Jared Allen.
Smith faced Allen last season in a Week 9 matchup while he was with the Vikings, holding him to one tackle with no sacks or pressures. Allen was a non-factor, and Smith will need to be just as dominant for this Cowboys offense to have success moving the ball. Allen still presents those same problems off the edge that he has for the majority of his career. He has always been a crafty player in his ability to set a blocker up with a wide variety of moves.

He still has speed to the edge with the ability to dip his shoulder and take the corner. He can also burst quickly to the edge, getting the tackle’s weight on his left foot then cut back hard to the inside and taking the short path to the quarterback. Where Smith has an advantage over Allen is with his power -- especially in the running game.

When Smith comes off the ball and gets his hands inside on Allen, there is little that he can do to match him and that works out well for the Cowboys. The more than Smith can hammer on Allen, the more it will help neutralize him in his pass rush.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys looking for more pressures

December, 1, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The common theme for the Dallas Cowboys' defense, no matter how well it’s played, is pass rush, or lack thereof.

On the season, the Cowboys have just 19 sacks, ranked 28th in the NFL. But it’s not about quarterback sacks, it’s pressures that cause quarterbacks problems, too.

In the last two weeks, rookie defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence has no quarterback pressures, veteran defensive end Anthony Spencer had five the last four weeks and third-year tackle Tyrone Crawford has six in the last four weeks. He missed one week with a knee injury.

“We showed some flashes,” defensive tackle Nick Hayden said. “Obviously it’s never good enough but there’s always room to improve. It comes down to just being relentless as a pass-rusher out there and communication is huge.”

Thursday night, the Cowboys take on the Chicago Bears and quarterback Jay Cutler, who’s been sacked 29 times, the eighth most in the league.

Can the Cowboys reach Cutler, a man who's prone to turnovers, second most interceptions (14) in the NFL, on Thursday?

Cutler has tall receivers such as Brandon Marshall (6-foot-4), Alshon Jeffery (6-3) and tight end Martellus Bennett (6-6) to target if he has time in the pocket to get them the ball. Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said there’s a blueprint to stopping tall receivers.

Pressure, cornerbacks re-routing the receivers and changing the defensive looks are ways to contain tall receivers.

“Oh, it’s a challenge, man,” Marinelli said. “These guys are big, strong, tough guys. They go up really well and catch the ball. But I go back to the tight end [Jimmy Graham] at New Orleans, another big, tall guy, and we went out and did a really good, solid job. So we can do it, we just have to go in and have our coverages correct and the rush has got to help, the rush has got to be there and elevate the pass a little bit more. But it’s all part of it.”

Cotton

Staff member
Moore: Any doubt following Cowboys loss can be erased by quick start in Chicago

IRVING — What follows is a simplistic piece of advice for Jason Garrett as he prepares his team to face Chicago.

The best way to eliminate any doubts that crept in with the loss to Philadelphia and to avoid what happened when the Cowboys traveled to the shores of Lake Michigan this time last year is to get off to a fast start.

Look, no one said the Nobel Prize committee was going to recognize this theory for original thought. But this is something the Cowboys must do for their emotional and strategic well-being as they enter an arduous December stretch.

“It’s critical,” Garrett said. “It’s critical to start fast and to make stops.”

You only have to go back to Thanksgiving afternoon to see how quickly the outcome can turn.

The Eagles won the coin toss, elected to receive the opening kick then marched 80 yards on nine plays to take a 7-0 lead. Philadelphia amassed 88 yards for another touchdown on its next possession. That was followed by a 67-yard field goal drive.

“These plays build on each other,” Garrett said. “When we had some success later in the game slowing those guys down, we made a tackle for loss. We had a sack. There was some kind of a minus play that got them off schedule. We didn’t do that early on in the game.

“They were in manageable situations throughout and made a ton of plays in the running game and off of that they were able to make plays in the passing game. So starting fast is critical for all three phases of your team.”

This has become a disturbing trend for the Cowboys’ defense.

The Eagles weren’t the first team to score on three consecutive possessions against Dallas. The New York Giants did it five days earlier, scoring touchdowns the first three times they touched the ball. Jacksonville scored a touchdown the first time it touched the ball the game before.

All told, the Cowboys’ defense has allowed a touchdown on the opponent’s opening drive in three consecutive games and five times this season. Opponents have scored on their opening drive in seven of the team’s 12 games.

“Yeah, I mean it’s coming down to execution,” defensive tackle Henry Melton said. “Once we get going and flowing as a defensive unit we’re tough to get past. But collectively. …

“I’ve got to play better, and we’ve got to play better.”

What should the Cowboys do against the Bears on Thursday night? Hit Chicago with a different personnel package, alter a tendency or simply do a better job of execution?

“We’d like to think we are always giving different looks,” Garrett said. “We are always doing a variety of things defensively week to week with how we want to play a particular team.

“We want to do our stuff, but within that it’s not like we call the same defense on every first down or every first part of the game. There is always variety there. You want to look at what happens and why it happens and if there is a trend.

“You want to see what we need to do this better. We need to stop doing this, we need to do more of that, whatever the answers are.”

Here’s something else to consider.

The Cowboys have been very good on first down this season. It’s where they’ve established their identity as a physical, running team. But the Cowboys ran on first down on their first 10 opportunities against Philadelphia and 14 of their first 15 first downs. Garrett and play caller Scott Linehan didn’t alter the formula until the team was down 30-10.

Is that being true to your identity or simply being stubborn? Now that the Cowboys have established this identity, aren’t there some plays to be made over the top in the passing game on first down?

“Trust me, these are all things we talk about and we try to work through and see if there are any connections,” Garrett said.

Can the Cowboys afford another slow start in Chicago and still win? Maybe.

Is it in their best interests?

Not at all.

“Obviously we want to start fast,” Garrett said. “There is an emotional component to that. There is a physical component. There is a technical component. There is a [play] call component to that.

“We will look at it and make necessary adjustments.”

First strike

The Cowboys defense has allowed opponents to score on their first possession in the last three games and seven times this season. Three of their four losses have come in these games.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
“Yeah, I mean it’s coming down to execution,” defensive tackle Henry Melton said. “Once we get going and flowing as a defensive unit we’re tough to get past. But collectively. …
FFS...twelve games in and they are still talking about getting in synch.

You don't have it by now, you aren't going to get it.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys defensive ends limited in practice
December, 1, 2014

IRVING, Texas -- Rookie defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence was limited in the Dallas Cowboys' practice on Monday because of a chest injury, the first time he has shown up on the injury report since returning from a broken foot a month ago.

Defensive end George Selvie was also limited on Monday with a thumb injury he sustained in the Thanksgiving loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. Selvie has started the last nine games at left defensive end but could be replaced by Anthony Spencer if he is unable to play Thursday against the Chicago Bears.

Quarterback Tony Romo took part in a full practice after sitting out Sunday’s workout, as did left tackle Tyron Smith, who said he was feeling better Monday.

Linebacker Rolando McClain (knee) was gimpy in Sunday’s practice but was listed as a full participant in Monday’s session. Wide receiver Terrance Williams (finger), defensive tackle Nick Hayden (shoulder), right tackle Doug Free (foot), defensive tackle Tyrone Crawford (knee) and defensive tackle Josh Brent (groin) also took part in a full practice.

Safety Jeff Heath (thumb), cornerback Tyler Patmon (knee) and linebacker Dekoda Watson (hamstring) did not practice.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
We haven't gotten off to a fast start since the Saints game.

That's the last time we came out from the very first snap and just came out firing on all cylinders.......that was 8 games ago.

They have to get off to a fast start in this game if they want to win. This Bears team has little to play for, and I don't think they have to do much to get them to stop trying. But if they mess around and give those guys confidence, it's going to be a long night.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
We haven't gotten off to a fast start since the Saints game.

That's the last time we came out from the very first snap and just came out firing on all cylinders.......that was 8 games ago.

They have to get off to a fast start in this game if they want to win. This Bears team has little to play for, and I don't think they have to do much to get them to stop trying. But if they mess around and give those guys confidence, it's going to be a long night.
Thats it in a nutshell. Chicago doesn't have shit to play for.....if the Cowboys punch them in the mouth early, chances are they'll pack it in.

But let them score some points, or get momentum.....it might turn into another 45-28 game with Chicago coming out on top.

I know this...if the Cowboys lose this game, the season is basically over.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Thats it in a nutshell. Chicago doesn't have shit to play for.....if the Cowboys punch them in the mouth early, chances are they'll pack it in.

But let them score some points, or get momentum.....it might turn into another 45-28 game with Chicago coming out on top.

What you say is true but everyone wants to beat the Cowboys and I expect the Bears to come out with guns blazing.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Yup. If they lose this game, then they might as well start making draft plans because there is no way they turn around and beat Philly and Indy.

Top Bottom