JJT: Garrett's passive leadership costly

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett's passive leadership costly

Failure to take control of late-game strategy could be head coach's fatal flaw

Originally Published: November 11, 2013

By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas - If the Dallas Cowboys don't make the playoff this season, and Jerry Jones decides to fire Jason Garrett, the coach can only blame himself.

Garrett let Tony Romo, his $108-million quarterback, and pass-happy offensive coordinator Bill Callahan potentially determine his fate with some of the dumbest decisions you'll ever see intelligent people make Sunday afternoon at AT&T Stadium.

Understand, pretty much the only way a team can blow a 23-point second-half lead at home is with dumb play calling and turnovers, but that's exactly what the Cowboys did.

Green Bay 37, Dallas 36.

It would be unbelievable, but we saw this just two seasons ago when the Detroit Lions rallied from a 27-3 third-quarter deficit to beat the Cowboys in this same stadium.

Apparently, Garrett learned nothing.

The Lions rallied that day in part because they returned interceptions for touchdowns on consecutive third-quarter drives. This time, Garrett, Callahan and Romo collaborated to ignore running back DeMarco Murray in the second half.

Just so you know, Murray finished with 134 yards on 18 carries and a touchdown. He had 11 carries for 93 and a touchdown at halftime. How does a team throw the ball 48 times in a game it leads 26-3, 29-10 and 36-24 in the second half?

From 1:04 of the third quarter until Romo's interception with 2:58 left, the Cowboys dropped back to pass on 14 of 15 plays, while never leading by fewer than five points.

Ridiculous. Blame Garrett.

Jerry Jones made Garrett a walk-around head coach in the offseason to handle situations just like this. He's supposed to speak up in certain situations and dictate the strategy.

This is when Garrett should've demanded the Cowboys run the ball, especially since Green Bay couldn't stop Murray.

He gained at least 4 yards on 14 of his 18 carries and had four runs of 10 yards or more. Murray's only negative run occurred on his fourth carry of the game.

But Garrett took a passive role and let Romo and Callahan dictate the offensive approach instead of asserting himself. What happened in the last five minutes is a fireable offense.

Leading 36-31 with 4:17 left, Green Bay had scored on four consecutive possessions. We've seen this defense all year. No way, you could trust them to protect a lead.

The Cowboys needed to score or burn virtually all of the time off the clock.

A 13-yard slant to Dez Bryant on third-and-12 gave the Cowboys a first down with 3:02 left. Two more first downs and Green Bay probably wouldn't have enough time to come back.

A 4-yard run up the middle by Murray forced the Packers to burn their second timeout with 2:58 left. According to website Advanced NFL Stats, the Cowboys had an 88 percent chance of winning at that time.

Callahan called another running play as he should've done. Remember a few weeks ago, when Garrett became more involved in the play calling. Callahan gives the play to Garrett, who gives it to Romo.

During those few seconds Garrett can talk to Romo. That's when Garrett should've implored Romo to keep the running play no matter how many defenders Green Bay stacked in the box to stop the run.

At that point, time was the only thing more important than protecting the ball. Romo, who has been as conservative as Sen. John McCain this season, picked the worst possible time to return his gun-slinging ways.

On second-and-6, Romo narrowly avoided a defender off the edge. Then he whirled and fired a pass to Miles Austin, never known to fight for the ball, who was running a slant near midfield. Sam Shields undercut the pattern and made a finger-tip interception.

Eight plays later, Green Bay grabbed its only lead on Eddie Lacy's 1-yard touchdown run. It marked the Packers' fifth consecutive second-half touchdown drive.

"The idea was to run the ball and make them use the clock," Garrett said of the Cowboys' fourth-quarter strategy. "Run it, and then if we have to throw it, throw high percentage passes to keep the clock going and make them use their timeouts.

"Tony threw a pass on what we call a smoke -- or a flash -- that we have accompanying runs if he gets a bad look. That's what happened on the interception. It was a run call that he threw the ball on."

Romo had not thrown an interception since the first quarter against the New York Giants a month ago, a span of 130 passes. Romo said he switched the play because Green Bay had overloaded the side the Cowboys had planned to run.

So what.

Take the no gain or a negative play, at worst, and force the Packers to use their final timeout. Romo said the Cowboys wanted to be more aggressive on offense because of how Green Bay's offense was moving the ball.

"It's easy to look back now and say run the ball, run the ball, run the ball," Romo said. "At the same time, if they're going to have numbers, it's a tough situation.

"What I have to do a better job of is protecting the ball in that situation, and I didn't do a good enough job of that tonight. I will next time."

We've all heard that before. Still, the Cowboys control their playoff fate.

If they win their last two games they will make the playoffs. If not, no one will be surprised if Jerry changes his mind and fires Garrett.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
As I've said before, Garrett should be fired whether we make the playoff or not.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
JJT makes a good point. Garrett was made walk around coach to prevent situations like this from happening again.

The fact that stuff like this keeps happening under his watch shows that he's not cut out to be a head coach, or a play caller for that matter. Because I would expect my coordinator to understand game situations and call plays accordingly.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
JJT makes a good point. Garrett was made walk around coach to prevent situations like this from happening again.

The fact that stuff like this keeps happening under his watch shows that he's not cut out to be a head coach, or a play caller for that matter. Because I would expect my coordinator to understand game situations and call plays accordingly.
Man, running the ball with a 23 pt lead is a given to even the most ignorant of fan. Let alone the friggin head coach of an NFL team. Unreal.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Need to find out if Callahan initiated the calls and if so both he and Garrett need to be shown the door. Callahan for initiating them and Garrett for now putting an abrupt stop to this trend immediately. Some one has no testicals if this situation is not remedied sooner than later..

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Need to find out if Callahan initiated the calls and if so both he and Garrett need to be shown the door. Callahan for initiating them and Garrett for now putting an abrupt stop to this trend immediately. Some one has no testicals if this situation is not remedied sooner than later..
They're claiming runs were called and Romo kept checking out of them because GB was stacking the box. Callahan, and especially Garrett are still responsible though for allowing Romo to keep doing it if this was what really went down.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
They're claiming runs were called and Romo kept checking out of them because GB was stacking the box. Callahan, and especially Garrett are still responsible though for allowing Romo to keep doing it if this was what really went down.
This bullshit philosophy where the defense can stop you just by showing you what you want to see was a problem in the first fucking place. They don't have to stop the run, just look like they want to. That's ridiculous.

GShock

DCC 4Life
It's like we have to put Orton out there as our last best chance to stop the stupid. Or Murray in the Wildcat.

They were stacking to stop the run? You don't say.

I don't GAS if they were lined up in the huddle and heard you call a running play, you run the freaking ball.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
This bullshit philosophy where the defense can stop you just by showing you what you want to see was a problem in the first fucking place. They don't have to stop the run, just look like they want to. That's ridiculous.
Ridiculous is synonymous with most things Cowboys these days. They don't have a strong command of basic, fundamental football philosophy and to exacerbate this problem those in charge seem to arrogantly believe they are on par with brightest minds in the game.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
By the way, it was a check play, it wasn't an audible. Romo ran the play like it was designed. If stacked box: then check out. It's a subtle difference, but Garrett was not calling running plays.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I like Murray and think he's pretty underrated (largely because he's way underused), but I don't believe for nanosecond that defenses are constantly stacking the box to stop a running game that is barely used week after week and daring our top 7 or 8 QB to throw to our top 5 WR and our top 3 TE.

Top Bottom