BTB: Has The Cowboys Offense Become Unbalanced?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=2]Has The Cowboys Offense Become Unbalanced?[/h] By One.Cool.Customer@OCC44 on Nov 30 2014, 9:00a

For years everybody and their uncle was screaming bloody murder at the lack of balance in the Cowboys' offensive playcalling, especially with the Cowboys increasingly relying on the pass in recent years. Per Pro-Football-Reference, the Cowboys pass/run balance only knew one direction:
Pass Attempts550576570658586
Runs436428408355336
Pass/Run Ratio56%57%58%65%64%

By last year, the Cowboys' inability or unwillingness to run the ball resulted in a league-low 336 carries over 16 games, which prompted a cacophony of voices to scream louder than ever before for a more balanced offensive gameplan. Even the biggest morons could now provide a simple two-word solution for everything that was ailing the Cowboys, and their outraged cries of "Run More!" suddenly made them sound like the seasoned NFL experts they already were in their own minds.
So the Cowboys put their hand into the hat and presto! Out comes a running game! After 12 games, the Cowboys are about as balanced as it gets; their 364 pass attempts are almost perfectly balanced by their 365 runs for a 50% pass/run ratio. Buoyed by the Cowboys' 8-4 record (the loss against the Eagles notwithstanding) and a second-ranked rushing attack, many of the people previously calling for a more balanced offense are now giving themselves virtual pats on the back.
At a macro level, everything looks just hunky dory. After all, the whole idea behind a balanced offense is to be as unpredictable as possible - and with a 50% pass/run ratio, you're about as unpredictable as it gets.

So if the Cowboys are as balanced as they can be, why is the title of this post talking about the offense being unbalanced?
Because at a micro level, things don't look quite as hunky dory anymore. The Cowboys offense, when we look at the playcalling preferences on a down-and-distance basis, has become about as predictable as it can get.
The Cowboys offense, much more than in previous years, is geared towards creating favorable third down situations. When Rabblerousr and I talked about this a few weeks back, we jokingly referred to the Cowboys offense as a "Run, Run, Pass" offense, reflecting what we felt was a tendency to run on the first two downs and then pass on third down to get another first down. Obviously, that's a gross oversimplification, but let's see whether there's a kernel of truth in that via the following breakdown by down-and-distance situations for the Cowboys in 2014.
[h=3]1st down[/h]No team in the NFL runs the ball more often on first down than the Cowboys. The following graph illustrates the Cowboys' playcalling preferences on 1st-and-10:
The league average split on 1st-and-10 is 48% passing and 52 % running. Even pass-heavy teams like the Eagles (54% passing) or the Saints (53%) are much more balanced than the Cowboys.
The absence of balance is not a bad thing per se - if you can pull it off. The 90s Cowboys used to brag that opposing defenses knew exactly what play was coming, but were unable to stop it. And that's an important aspect to keep in mind as we review playcalling tendencies: Nobody was complaining about running the ball a lot on first down when the Cowboys were 6-1 earlier in the season. It's only when you can't pull it off anymore that your playcalling will come under scrutiny.
The Cardinals and Eagles loaded up to stop the run on first down, and when they were successful, the Cowboys didn't have an answer.
Opponent1st-and-10 callQuarters 1-34th Quarter
EaglesRun150
Pass18
CardinalsRun101
Pass57
You'd think that when the opposing defense is lining up to stop the run, the offense would play-action them to death. But that's not what the Cowboys did, instead sticking to the run on 1st-and-10, only rediscovering the pass in the fourth quarter when the offense was desperately trying to play catch up.
2nd down
If the Cowboys really were a "Run, Run, Pass" offense, you'd expect a heavy dose of running on second down, but that's not necessarily the case, as the following graph shows.
Back in 2006, when Mike Zimmer was the defensive coordinator for the Cowboys, Zimmer remarked on the disadvantage defenses have when they are in second-and-short:
"When it's second-and-4, it's tough to make (defensive) calls," Zimmer said. "You're behind the eight ball."​
The key to a successful third down offense is an effective first and second down offense that puts opposing defenses in unfavorable third-and-short situations. And here's where we see an interesting wrinkle in the Cowboys' playcalling. You'd think that a team like the Cowboys, that is so successful running the ball, would pound the rock on second-and-short to get the next first down. But that's not what they are doing at all.
On second-and-short, the Cowboys pass more often than any other team in the NFL. Perhaps because that distance opens up their playbook, perhaps because they think of second-and-short as two attempts at converting a third-and-short, whatever the reason, the Cowboys pass more than anybody else in those situations.
The league average on second down with three yards or less to go is a 38% passing ratio. Where the Cowboys like to pass 60% of the time, the Bengals have the lowest pass ratio (13%) and the Seahawks have the third-lowest (20%). Again, if you can pull it off, more power to you, but don't think for one minute that opposing defenses don't know about these tendencies.
On second down with 4-8 yards to go, the Cowboys are once again the poster children for a balanced attack, equally splitting runs and passes. On these interim distances, it's hard to say exactly what is good and what isn't. The league average is a 58% pass ratio, the Buccaneers lead all teams with a 76% pass ratio, the Seahawks pass the least (37% pass ratio). Despite what looks like a perfectly balanced 50% pass ratio, the Cowboys favor the run a little more in these situations than the average NFL team.
On second-and-long, the Cowboys once again get pass-heavy with a 72% pass ratio, the third-highest in the NFL. Hard to figure out why exactly this is the case. Perhaps the Cowboys are wary of following up a short gain on the ground on first down with another run. Perhaps they are worried they won't be able to get into 3rd-and-short (remember: the offense is geared towards creating favorable third down situations) with a run. Whatever the reason, the Cowboys are highly predictable on second-and long.
[h=3]Third down[/h]My working hypothesis here, as you've probably surmised by now, is that as an offensive playcaller you probably want to avoid playcalling tendencies that place you at the very top or the very bottom of the league rankings, because any deviation from the norm makes you more predictable.
And that's the situation the Cowboys find themselves in on the various third down situations below.
The Cowboys rank within the top or bottom seven in all third down situations, though one stat is particularly striking: The Cowboys have faced 19 third-and-3 situations this year. They attempted a pass 18 times and ran only once. As a defense, that's fairly easy to prepare for.
Again, that is not a bad thing per se - if you can pull it off. And the Cowboys pulled it off masterfully over the first seven games of the season when they had a 59% third down conversion rate.
Since then, the Cowboys have fallen off drastically. In the last five games, the Cowboys are 20-58 in third down conversions, which translates to a 34% conversion rate. How much of that comes down to execution, how much to playcalling tendencies, and how much to unfavorable down-and-distance situations is anybody's guess.
Here's BTB-member Mr._Mulligan sharing an observation on third down performance versus the Eagles:
I think a large part of the recent failure is lack of creativity in the play calling. Run, run, pass was working earlier in the season, but EVERYone knows it’s coming now.
I also think Dallas’ formation gives away the play call. There were so many times when they were 3rd and short, only 7 defenders in the box, I was begging Dallas to hand it off to Murray. They never handed it off.
One more oddity that manifests on both second and third down: Outside of 3rd-and-1 the Cowboys show a remarkable aversion to running the ball on second- or third-and-short. The Cowboys lead the league in these situations (2nd down with 1-3 yards to go plus 3rd down with 2-4 yards to go) with a 67% pass ratio. It's almost as if they don't completely trust their ground game to deliver the critical yards when they count the most.
We've seen above that while the Cowboys look like a balanced team superficially, a closer look at specific down-and-distance situations shows that they are one of the more unbalanced teams in the league. And when you you are that unbalanced, you run the risk of becoming predictable.
Nobody is complaining about the success of the ground game, and nobody was complaining about the lack of balance when the Cowboys were 6-1 earlier in the season. But running more has not made the Cowboys a more balanced team, far from it. The only question is, will this be a strength or a weakness for the team over the final four games?
One final thought: The league average pass ratio is 57% this season. Last year, the Cowboys had a pass ratio of 64%, this year they are down to 50%. Which means the Cowboys are exactly as far away from the league average this year as they were last year, except in the other direction.
Think about it. In 2014 the Cowboys are just as unbalanced relative to the league average as they were in 2013.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It's pretty evident to anyone paying attention that the Cowboys offense is too predictable in the 1st half of games, particularly on 1st downs.

I'd run a balanced, aggressive attack early and try to get up early so that we can close teams out with in the 3rd and 4th quarter with the run game.

Instead, they're playing it too close to the vest and are having to fight an uphill battle in the 2nd half.

Might be time to rethink the plan of attack.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's pretty evident to anyone paying attention that the Cowboys offense is too predictable in the 1st half of games, particularly on 1st downs.

I'd run a balanced, aggressive attack early and try to get up early so that we can close teams out with in the 3rd and 4th quarter with the run game.

Instead, they're playing it too close to the vest and are having to fight an uphill battle in the 2nd half.

Might be time to rethink the plan of attack.
:lol

I think people are overthinking it.

Our defense just sucks.

Get that to a somewhat acceptable level, might win that elusive ninth game.

Yeah, the offense needs to get a little more diverse. Not even with the balance but the design.

We are fucking using Don Coryell's playbook folks. Doesn't matter if Linehan is here or not.

We can't beat a good team and end up with the dregs padding a chunk of the schedule.

Otherwise it is 50/50 proposition which explains our amazing ability to be .500.

1bigfan13

Staff member
No doubt the defense is the main culprit. Can't continuously spot teams 14-21 points and expect to be successful.

I'd be happy if we can fix one area of the defense in the off season. I know it'll be impossible to fix everything but at least build a team that's either stout up front and can control the run.

Right now they aren't doing anything well. It's as if fixing the D isn't part of the process.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Right now they aren't doing anything well. It's as if fixing the D isn't part of the process.
The process is several years behind. We wasted a year drafting people like Claiborne.

1bigfan13

Staff member
The process is several years behind. We wasted a year drafting people like Claiborne.
It would also help if we stopped getting cute with 3rd and 4th round picks.

Brittle ass, Matt "who?" Johnson from WGAS State.......then topping that by drafting a Safety from a small school, who oh BTW, was a former RB/WR who'd just converted to Safety his senior year.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'm the first to jump on the run-the-ball more approach. But that doesn't mean we have to run on EVERY first down. At that point we become so predictable we're starting to consistently set ourselves up in long 2nd and 3rd downs which predictably become passing situations.

We definitely need to be committed to the run, but not to a fault.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm the first to jump on the run-the-ball more approach. But that doesn't mean we have to run on EVERY first down. At that point we become so predictable we're starting to consistently set ourselves up in long 2nd and 3rd downs which predictably become passing situations.

It's become way too much, run, run and pass if we make it to third down. Teams don't respect our pass on early downs and know exactly what is coming when we get to third downs. It's why our third down conversion rates are starting to head towards the dumper.

With all that being said I wouldn't overreact to one really bad game where our team wasn't prepared after coming off a last second win and a short turnaround. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us turn around and beat Philly next time. I think the short week really played into their hands.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
It's become way too much, run, run and pass if we make it to third down. Teams don't respect our pass on early downs and know exactly what is coming when we get to third downs. It's why our third down conversion rates are starting to head towards the dumper.
The way they were teeing off on us on 3rd down knowing we would pass it's a shame Romo can't do a hard count to save his life.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

I agree with this. In the past when we were more pass happy, it was basically predictable. Now that we've been leaning on the run more, we became predictable after a few games. It really comes down to a lack of creative play calling. You can't stubbornly stick to one philosophy or the other, you have to mix things up.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I agree with this. In the past when we were more pass happy, it was basically predictable. Now that we've been leaning on the run more, we became predictable after a few games. It really comes down to a lack of creative play calling. You can't stubbornly stick to one philosophy or the other, you have to mix things up.
Against the Saints, Dallas passed to set up the run and then ran all over them.

Dallas did nothing to push the Eagles off their 8-man fronts. Romo seemed to be throwing flat footed. Terrance Williams and Gavin Escobar have vanished. If we don't get those two involved, this offense does not function well.

I expect the defense to be better against the Eagles after ten days of rest when they next play December 14th. I really hope the offensive coaches get their act together to give them a chance.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Against the Saints, Dallas passed to set up the run and then ran all over them.

Dallas did nothing to push the Eagles off their 8-man fronts. Romo seemed to be throwing flat footed. Terrance Williams and Gavin Escobar have vanished. If we don't get those two involved, this offense does not function well.

I expect the defense to be better against the Eagles after ten days of rest when they next play December 14th. I really hope the offensive coaches get their act together to give them a chance.
The Eagles basically do no game planning. They run their offense exactly the same no matter who they play. It gives them a big advantage on a short turn around week. Dallas on the other other hand does a lot of game planning and the game planning for a team like the Eagles is extensive because the Eagles basically run an offense totally different then any other team in the NFL. There is no comparison. I think because of the short week the Cowboys came in with a horribly unprepared game plan and a team not ready to play. I expect a completely different game next time the Cowboys play the Eagles.

kidd

DCC 4Life
The Eagles basically do no game planning. They run their offense exactly the same no matter who they play. It gives them a big advantage on a short turn around week. Dallas on the other other hand does a lot of game planning and the game planning for a team like the Eagles is extensive because the Eagles basically run an offense totally different then any other team in the NFL. There is no comparison. I think because of the short week the Cowboys came in with a horribly unprepared game plan and a team not ready to play. I expect a completely different game next time the Cowboys play the Eagles.
I expect it as well.

The Eagles ran the same O last year and we played them a lot tougher with a (historically) worse defense.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It was apparent weeks ago to people not named Geng that the pass was our biggest offensive issue, not how many times we are/were running the ball.

It's not nearly as effective as it needs to be. Part of it is almost certainly that the run is losing effectiveness as teams key in more and more, and thus place us in more obvious passing downs later.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It was apparent weeks ago to people not named Geng that the pass was our biggest offensive issue, not how many times we are/were running the ball.
It has been apparent years ago to people not named mschmidt64 that Garrett's offensive design has been our offense's biggest issue.

Carp

DCC 4Life
PA on 1st down seems like money.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It has been apparent years ago to people not named mschmidt64 that Garrett's offensive design has been our offense's biggest issue.
Yep. The offensive is just to darn predictable. This season it's run, run, pass. Then it's run, run, pass. The next time it's run, run, pass. Then it's pass, pass, pass.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep. The offensive is just to darn predictable. This season it's run, run, pass. Then it's run, run, pass. The next time it's run, run, pass. Then it's pass, pass, pass.
Was talking about design, not playcalling.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I believe I said that the coaching staff needs to do a better job freeing up the receivers in the passing game.

Top Bottom