Graziano: A new first-round OL name for Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
A new first-round OL name for Cowboys
April, 22, 2013

By Dan Graziano | ESPNDallas.com

I spoke with Steve Muench of Scouts Inc., about the NFC East teams and the upcoming NFL draft in this Blogger Blitz video. We talked about all four teams -- even the Redskins, who aren't picking until late in the second round. Steve likes tackle Lane Johnson for the Eagles at No. 4 (assuming Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel are gone in the first three picks), figures on a cornerback for the Giants at No. 19 and expects that the Redskins will have good options at safety at No. 51.

But it's what Steve said about the Dallas Cowboys that really caught my attention. Steve agrees with the mock drafts that have the top six offensive linemen gone by the time Dallas picks, even though six offensive linemen haven't been picked in the first 17 picks since 1966, but there's a seventh offensive linemen Steve thinks would fit well and be a great pick for the Cowboys at No. 18 -- Syracuse's Justin Pugh, who played tackle in college but whose arms measured more like a guard's at the combine. Steve thinks Pugh could step in and play right away at right guard, and surely the Cowboys could use him there.

Listen Jerry Jones said Monday he expects offensive linemen to go early in this draft. Everybody does, because there are no quarterbacks or running backs anyone loves for early in the first round. Jones also said he'd be interested in trading down, which might not be a bad idea for the Cowboys if the top six offensive linemen are gone by 18 and they think they can get Pugh later in the round. But these pre-draft news conferences really don't mean much, because teams aren't really going to reveal anything about their plans in public.

If you've been reading regularly, you guys know I think the Cowboys absolutely need to come out of Thursday night's first round with a new starter at one of the offensive line positions. I think it's such a crying short-term and long-term need that they'd be nuts not to make it happen. We're having our ESPN.com blogger mock draft Tuesday, complete with trades, and I'll be making the Cowboys' pick and get a chance to put my money where my mouth is. I'm interested to see whether one of the top six linemen is there at 18 or if I'll have to try and maneuver down to get in position for Pugh. Even if they can get a starting offensive lineman in the second round as well, I think the Cowboys have to find one in the first.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Depending on who is there it would probably be a reach.

Would be better after a trade down.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't hate the guy like some people around here, but that would be a historically bad choice at 18.

That would be an incredible reach for need.

Trade down to the bottom of the round, it gets more palatable, but not by a lot.

He just seems like a good second round pick to me.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't hate the guy like some people around here, but that would be a historically bad choice at 18.

Trade down to the bottom of the round, it gets more palatable, but not by a lot.

I think he's a fairly high second round pick. I think getting him where we pick in the 2nd would be very good value.

18 is too early, but at 31 I won't bitch.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
We need OL but the draft is about value. If you're going to draft for need don't reach for it, trade down.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would bitch hard core but I don't really like guards who are weak. 3 years from now the rest of you would bitch right with me, just like the Felix pick...

2233boys

Not So New Member

I'd agree

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Better to trade up and get the quality OL than trade down when you won't get value because teams with extra picks want to stay pat in this deep draft.

Dallas' best option is to stay pat and take the best player.

junk

Not So New Member
I would bitch hard core but I don't really like guards who are weak. 3 years from now the rest of you would bitch right with me, just like the Felix pick...
I think 18 is too high for Pugh. He's been all over the place though. Started out with a lot of buzz, dropped a lot and seems to be rising again.

He might be Marshall Yanda. A guy that excels at guard, but can play tackle in a pinch.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Board maintenance if this happened.

Maybe even yet another incarnation of the DCC.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I recently read someone who said they think he's a better Andy Levitre. I don't want him at 18 but if we trade down to about 30 or so I wouldn't hate the pick.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
In Pugh you're getting a younger Doug Free. I wouldn't take him in any round. He sucks.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Simple rule of thumb for the Cowboys to remember: If he isn't a mid first round pick on at least 15 other teams draft boards, real analysts mock drafts or Mel's board, he shouldn't be on yours either!

Top Bottom