Fitzgerald doesn't expect to return?

GShock

DCC 4Life
I'd prefer Dez.

But not at any price.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/arizona-cardinals-larry-fitzgerald-doesnt-expect-to-return-123114

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Larry Fitzgerald does not expect to be back with the Cardinals next season, a source familiar with the situation told FOX Sports Arizona on Wednesday. That could make Saturday's wild-card playoff game in Charlotte, N.C., the final game of the Valley icon's Arizona career.
"It has not crossed my mind," Fitzgerald said Wednesday after the Cardinals practice. "I'm in the midst of an opportunity that doesn't come too often, so all my energy and everything is focused on helping my team win."
Last week, general manager Steve Keim confirmed a Pro Football Talk report that the Cardinals had no plans to cut Fitzgerald despite an unworkable $23.6 million cap number next season, which would account for about 17 percent of the projected $141 million salary cap.
"I don't think it's any secret that we've said all along it's our intent to have Larry Fitzgerald retire a Cardinal," Keim told Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "I don't want to get into it too deep, but with planning purposes, financially, from a cap standpoint, all those sorts of things, we have Larry's number already baked into our numbers."
"We've had ongoing talks with (Fitzgerald's agent) Eugene Parker, and we will continue to have ongoing talks," Keim added. "Even though it's still not 2015, it's my job to look at 2015, '16, '17 and years beyond, and we have to make good business decisions."
A decision likely would have to be made by March, when Fitzgerald is due an $8 million roster bonus. But Keim's stance was clever in that it put the onus on Fitzgerald to take less money so that he doesn't hamstring the team this offseason in its efforts to acquire more free agents and improve the roster.
But Fitzgerald is unlikely to restructure his deal again. He would have counted $18 million against the Cardinals 2014 salary cap, but he agreed to a deal that created about $10 million in cap space for the Cardinals this season by converting salary to bonus money.
Beyond that, Fitzgerald, 31, is not happy with his role on the team, the source said. He doesn't like playing in the slot and he's become far less of a focal point of the offense. While Fitzgerald led the team this season with 63 receptions and was second to Michael Floyd in yardage at 784, those numbers are the lowest since his rookie year, and his two touchdowns are a career low.

By refusing a big pay cut, he could force the Cardinals to trade him to a team where he'd have the opportunity to be the top receiving option again.
The Cardinals signed Fitzgerald to an eight-year, $120 million deal in 2011. He was the team's first-round pick (third overall) in 2004 and has played his entire 11-year career here. He owns numerous franchise and NFL records.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Is he just a product of no QB now or are the skills diminishing greatly?

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't think there is any doubt he is not the same player, but the Cards have not done him any favors since Warner. Palmer is ok, nothing special.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I think it's a combination of the two, Rev. He'll land someplace with a decent contract but I believe he's on the downside of his career. Isn't he something like 32 years old now? That's getting into NFL senior citizen territory for most players.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Fitzgerald is not worth the cash he is getting, regardless of how crappy his QB is.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I agree, but he would be a nice piece for a contender looking to add a weapon in the passing game.
He would have to be cheap and willing to play a second fiddle.

Why would he do that when he could go to a number of teams that have no number one wideout and get paid?

He might not be a number one anymore, but never underestimate how stupid a lot of NFL front offices really are.

He could go to KC right now and be hailed as a savior.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He would have to be cheap and willing to play a second fiddle.

Why would he do that when he could go to a number of teams that have no number one wideout and get paid?

He might not be a number one anymore, but never underestimate how stupid a lot of NFL front offices really are.

He could go to KC right now and be hailed as a savior.
If I was him I'd rather go to New England. Not that I blame players for being bottom-line guys, but if I'd already gotten my big payday I'd rather chase a ring.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
If I was him I'd rather go to New England. Not that I blame players for being bottom-line guys, but if I'd already gotten my big payday I'd rather chase a ring.
These are the type of signings the patriots make that make them look genius. I can't see them not adding some type of veteran receiver this year

townsend

Banned
After seeing Moss's years in New England, after a shitty stint with the Raiders. I think any older high end receiver should jump at that opportunity.

data

Forbes #1
Like Anquan Boldin, Fitzgerald could go somewhere and be very productive still.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
This.

Brady could almost turn him into the weapon he was early in his career even with the diminished skill set and Fitzgerald would probably go along with not being a "number 1" if it meant getting a ring.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
This.

Brady could almost turn him into the weapon he was early in his career even with the diminished skill set and Fitzgerald would probably go along with not being a "number 1" if it meant getting a ring.
In New England he would be the #1 WR. You could say Gronkowski would be the #1 offensive weapon, but I think that's apples and oranges.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
In New England he would be the #1 WR. You could say Gronkowski would be the #1 offensive weapon, but I think that's apples and oranges.
Thats kinda my point...Gronk is Bradys #1 everything...Fitz my be a #1 WR, but Brady is gonna go to Gronk as his #1 guy.....so I don't believe Fitz would get the majority of Bradys looks. Kinda what Fitz is dealing with now in AZ.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Thats kinda my point...Gronk is Bradys #1 everything...Fitz my be a #1 WR, but Brady is gonna go to Gronk as his #1 guy.....so I don't believe Fitz would get the majority of Bradys looks. Kinda what Fitz is dealing with now in AZ.
Edelman was targeted the most in NE, he had 134 to Gronk's 131. LaFell also had 119 so even if Fitz isn't the main option he will get enough. Also Fitz gets looks(63 catches on 103 targets) he just had average to subpar qbs throwing to him this year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Another place that needs a WR is Minnesota and I think Fitzgerald is from there. He'd be their number one and a good combo with Bridgewater.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Fitz strikes me as a guy who would sacrifice money for a ring at this point in his career, so I'm guessing he goes to a good team that has a shot to make a run.

New England immediately comes to mind, but he could be a great fit at Indy too in Wayne's spot.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I just hope another WR in the market helps in negotiations with Dez.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If I was Fitzgerald, the #1 priority on my list would be getting to a team with a good, established QB. His entire career, except a few seasons with Warner, he's had no one to get him the ball, and he's still put up monster numbers. Wonder what that guy would have been like playing with Peyton Manning or even Eli Manning.

data

Forbes #1
If I was Fitzgerald, the #1 priority on my list would be getting to a team with a good, established QB. His entire career, except a few seasons with Warner, he's had no one to get him the ball, and he's still put up monster numbers. Wonder what that guy would have been like playing with Peyton Manning or even Eli Manning.
I'd love to have Fitzgerald...and, oh by the way, should warrant more votes for HOF than Hines Ward.

It's gonna be tough with Randy Moss, TO, Jimmy Smith, Reggie Wayne, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Marvin Harrison, Andre Johnson out there, though.

Top Bottom