Top 3 you would keep...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I thought this would make for some interesting discussion.

I keep R.McClain, Romo and Murray and not in that order.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bryant, Romo, Tyron Smith.

R. McClain is close, amazingly enough. He has really made me wrong about him.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
No way McClain belongs on that top 3 list.

He's been excellent and it would hurt our defense to lose him, but if he went out for the season today, we're still making the playoffs.

If we lose Dez? All of a sudden teams are gonna start stacking the box to make life tougher on Murray, and I'm guessing Williams isn't getting the same opportunities when he becomes the focal point of the pass defense.

Romo, Murray, Dez and even an interior offensive lineman or even Tyron Smith would all hurt more to lose right now than McClain.

Cotton

Staff member
Bryant, Romo, Tyron Smith.

R. McClain is close, amazingly enough. He has really made me wrong about him.
It's really difficult to narrow down to 3. Bryant, Smith, Frederick, and Martin are right in there, too, for me.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Jerry, Stephen, Jason

Cotton

Staff member
No way McClain belongs on that top 3 list.

He's been excellent and it would hurt our defense to lose him, but if he went out for the season today, we're still making the playoffs.

If we lose Dez? All of a sudden teams are gonna start stacking the box to make life tougher on Murray, and I'm guessing Williams isn't getting the same opportunities when he becomes the focal point of the pass defense.

Romo, Murray, Dez and even an interior offensive lineman or even Tyron Smith would all hurt more to lose right now than McClain.
I don't know, man. Our defense looked pretty bad without McClain in there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No way McClain belongs on thatost.

Depends on how you view the D in terms of the current situation.

I think the guy has given the D a personality it has lacked for a long time. It is not to be overlooked.

Bryant is undoubtedly in the group, but that is a given. I just wanted to note how significant I think McClain has been.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't know, man. Our defense looked pretty bad without McClain in there.
Maybe, but they're average at best regardless and we still won that game without him.

Do you think we complete that Rams comeback without Dez or Murray?

I love the guy, but losing Tyron or even Frederick or Martin would be much bigger blows.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Depends on how you view the D in terms of the current situation.

I think the guy has given the D a personality it has lacked for a long time. It is not to be overlooked.

Bryant is undoubtedly in the group, but that is a given. I just wanted to note how significant I think McClain has been.
Hey, I agree completely on the attitude thing. It's why I said yesterday that I'm still glad Ware walked - our attitude is because of McClain and the leadership role he was able to step into.

But I still don't think losing him would hurt overall like losing Dez, and losing Tyron or one of the inside guys would really alter how we block.

Cotton

Staff member
Maybe, but they're average at best regardless and we still won that game without him.

Do you think we complete that Rams comeback without Dez or Murray?

I love the guy, but losing Tyron or even Frederick or Martin would be much bigger blows.
Like I said, it's very tough to get it down to 3. Arguments can be made for about 6-7 players to be in that 3.

D

Deuce

I don't see how Murray is on the list. I'd take 3 OL before him. If he went down, the rest of our RBs would combine to be ok. If the OL goes down, Murray would be below average.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm surprised to see how many peeps on this board really underrate Murray.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm surprised to see how many peeps on this board really underrate Murray.
Especially since he averaged 5.2 YPC without 1 of the 3 new OL and 5.5 YPC without 2 of them.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Especially since he averaged 5.2 YPC without 1 of the 3 new OL and 5.5 YPC without 2 of them.
The guy has good speed. He's not a blazer, but you rarely see him get caught from behind when he gets out in front.

He's got power, agility, vision, and he's also a solid receiver out if the backfield and probably the best blocker/blitz pick up guy in the league.

Basically, he's probably the most complete RB in the league, and yet so many fans dismiss the guy as if all of his success is owed to the O-line, or they diminish his ability to the point where they say we could just plug anyone in there and we'd be fine.

I just don't get it.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think the first - Dez and Romo - are easy. That third spot could go to a handful of guys and you wouldn't be wrong with any of them. Imagine that...

Talent wise it's probably Tyron or even McClain. I'd be pretty worried if we lost Frederick though.

D

Deuce

The guy has good speed. He's not a blazer, but you rarely see him get caught from behind when he gets out in front.

He's got power, agility, vision, and he's also a solid receiver out if the backfield and probably the best blocker/blitz pick up guy in the league.

Basically, he's probably the most complete RB in the league, and yet so many fans dismiss the guy as if all of his success is owed to the O-line, or they diminish his ability to the point where they say we could just plug anyone in there and we'd be fine.

I just don't get it.
I don't think his vision is anything special and he's careless with the ball. Doesn't make him a bad back, just I think his stats are inflated based on the OL he has working for him and an elite passing game to draw defenders away.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't see how Murray is on the list. I'd take 3 OL before him. If he went down, the rest of our RBs would combine to be ok. If the OL goes down, Murray would be below average.
Murray is one of the chief reasons the team is where it is. Is there anyone else that has had the effect he has had? You take him out of the equation and you are right back to the 8 - 8 group of previous years when the running game was a thing some could only hope for.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
I don't think his vision is anything special and he's careless with the ball. Doesn't make him a bad back, just I think his stats are inflated based on the OL he has working for him and an elite passing game to draw defenders away.
I guessed you missed my post about him excelling well before this line was complete.

Top Bottom