Eatman: Draft Breakdown - Depth Still Issue Behind Dez, Austin

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Draft Breakdown: Depth Still Issue Behind Dez, Austin
Posted 14 minutes ago

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

(Editor's Note: As the NFL Draft approaches on April 25-27, DallasCowboys.com's Draft Series will analyze every position, the Cowboys' needs at each, which players might be targeted for their six picks and some interesting draft nuggets. Part 4 features the wide receiver position.)

Position Outlook:

This has been a tricky spot to evaluate for the Cowboys, who have a pair of superstar players in Miles Austin and Dez Bryant. There always seems to be question marks at the position. Austin has been injury-prone lately, including in-game injuries during both Washington contest last year that prevented him from finishing. He was on the verge of a 1,000-yard campaign before an ankle injury cut his season-finale with the Redskins short. Bryant had a coming-out party in the second half of the schedule and looked like a Pro Bowl player. But a back injury in the final game kept him from finishing as well. Dwayne Harris showed some promise at receiver and special teams, while Cole Beasley could contend for a spot. The third-down receiver position should be up for grabs with the departure of Kevin Ogletree, who signed with the Buccaneers.

Available Vets:

At this point, signing a veteran receiver – or any position in free agency, for that matter – is rather unlikely because we’re now two weeks away from the NFL Draft.

That doesn’t mean the Cowboys have no need for a receiver, but they’ll probably wait to see what occurs with one of their six selections.

But if they get out of the draft and still want a veteran presence, the most intriguing name is Laurent Robinson, who was released by the Jaguars in the offseason. He had multiple concussions last year but has been cleared to play. Of course, Robinson had his best season of his career in 2011 with Dallas, where he caught 11 touchdowns.

Other notable free agents at receiver include Brandon Lloyd, Titus Young and Joshua Cribbs. With Harris’ return ability, which includes a 16.1-yard punt return average, the Cowboys probably don’t have a strong need to pay for a returner like Cribbs.

Look Back:

You don’t have to go too far back to find a memorable moment at receiver. In 2010, the Cowboys took a chance that most teams in the first round wouldn’t do – and that’s draft Dez Bryant. In fact, the Cowboys were so antsy about taking Bryant, they moved from 27 to 24 to get him. Bryant was always one of the more talented players in the draft, but his off-the-field baggage, which included a suspension from the NCAA for most of his junior season of 2009, scared off the others. The Cowboys obviously were comfortable in taking him at that spot in the first round, and three years later, it’s safe to say that everything they

thought about Bryant has played out correctly. He has had his off-the-field issues but has backed it up with stellar play, especially last season when he scored 12 touchdowns and had 1,382 receiving yards.

Draft Prospects:

At first, it appeared this was shaping up to be a weak receiver class, and there still probably won’t be a receiver go in the Top 10. But a few are now creeping their way into first-round mock drafts. A guy who is darting up the boards is West Virginia’s Tavon Austin, a smaller, yet inanely quick player who is arguably the most dynamic athlete in this draft. Tennessee’s Cordarrelle Patterson is a big-body speedster who is still raw, but loaded with talent. Also, Tennessee’s Justin Hunter, USC’s Robert Woods and DeAndre Hopkins from Clemson are all players on the verge of being late first- and early second-round guys.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
That depth is still an issue beyond the starters is exactly right, and under-acknowledged.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I like really Harris and think even Coale has big upside. Compared with other needs, especially with Witten still playing at a high level and Hannah emerging, WR is much lower on the list of immediate needs than last year. Of course if the value is there the team shouldn't hesitate to upgrade. Witten is aging and Austin may get his ass released if he keeps underperforming.

Overall, the position is pretty strong for Dallas, especially if Austin is healthy.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The position is suddenly pretty weak if on of the starters goes down, especially Dez. I agree it is not a huge priority but it is something they probably should address at some point.

I like Harris a little but he hasn't proven anything and hasn't shown consistency necessary to be quality depth.

We are retarded if we count on Coale for anything at all. We have no idea at all what we have there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The position is suddenly pretty weak if on of the starters goes down, especially Dez. I agree it is not a huge priority but it is something they probably should address at some point.

I like Harris a little but he hasn't proven anything and hasn't shown consistency necessary to be quality depth.

We are retarded if we count on Coale for anything at all. We have no idea at all what we have there.
That's the thing. With no injuries I our WR corp looks great. Dez is an absolute stud. Austin is one of the best number 2 WRs in the NFL. Harris looks like a perfect fit as a third WR in the slot. That unit look good.

The problem is if an injury hits. When Austin sits out with a sore pussy who steps in and starts? Does anyone feel good about Harris starting? Certainly not Beasley. Maybe Armstrong I guess he did have a 800 yard receiving season a few years ago.

I wouldn't say we are screwed with an Austin injury but there would certainly be a lot of uncertainty. We don't have much in the way of actual playing experience. I like Coale but his injuries have prevented anyone from having any idea how he will perform in the NFL. He didn't even have time to light it up in practice. All of this is why I think Dallas is seriously looking at WR's in the 2-4 round range of this draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd still love to see us bring back Laurent Robinson.
He is a guy you can bring in after week 1 of the season if you'd like. Which I may do depending how the young guys show in preseason and how the draft shakes out.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The position is suddenly pretty weak if on of the starters goes down, especially Dez.
If AJ Green or Hakeem Nicks go down it hugely impacts their teams. If Carlos Rogers goes down put the Lions at 2-14. I really like Harris, and with Witten playing well any loss at WR has less impact in Dallas. Romo turned Laurent Robinson into a one-year wonder. Basically any WR willing to work will become productive in Dallas with Romo at QB.

Harris showed every sign of becoming the go-to guy Romo needs at the #3 spot. I am not nearly as concerned there as I am at 4 OL positions, 3 DL positions, both S, both RB, Sam, and MLB depth. Notice I just mentioned almost the entire core of the team! Strengthen that team around him and I truly believe Romo can throw 40 TD's.

junk

Not So New Member
If AJ Green or Hakeem Nicks go down it hugely impacts their teams. If Carlos Rogers goes down put the Lions at 2-14. I really like Harris, and with Witten playing well any loss at WR has less impact in Dallas. Romo turned Laurent Robinson into a one-year wonder. Basically any WR willing to work will become productive in Dallas with Romo at QB.

Harris showed every sign of becoming the go-to guy Romo needs at the #3 spot. I am not nearly as concerned there as I am at 4 OL positions, 3 DL positions, both S, both RB, Sam, and MLB depth. Notice I just mentioned almost the entire core of the team! Strengthen that team around him and I truly believe Romo can throw 40 TD's.
Carlos Rogers? What?

My concern is that Dallas has no outside depth. That is why a turd like Ogletree hung around. Coale, Beasley, Harris all seem like slot guys.

Top Bottom