Cowboys Free Agency

Jiggyfly

Banned
I love Parcells but everyone misses on draft picks. The only reliable way to be better then everyone else is to have more picks.
We have drafted as well or better than Parcells over the last 3 years and everyone forgets he was saved by the Jets when he wanted to draft that DT.

And Let's not forget he wanted Spears over Ware, thank god Jerry put his foot down.:lol

junk

Not So New Member
Parcells struck out on every 2nd rounder he picked and he went for injured guys as well like that OT out of USC.

And let's not even go into how he reached in the 4th round, does Skyler Green bring up great memories.
And yet he was still vastly superior to the current braintrust. Both front office and coaching.

townsend

Banned
We have drafted as well or better than Parcells over the last 3 years and everyone forgets he was saved by the Jets when he wanted to draft that DT.

And Let's not forget he wanted Spears over Ware, thank god Jerry put his foot down.:lol
As much as that was a really good draft there's part of me that gets quesy when I realize we passed on Rodgers (twice) because Drew Bledsoe had signed a 3 year contract with us. Either we knew what we had with Romo or we are idiots.

Jiggyfly

Banned
As much as that was a really good draft there's part of me that gets quesy when I realize we passed on Rodgers (twice) because Drew Bledsoe had signed a 3 year contract with us. Either we knew what we had with Romo or we are idiots.
I think we would already have a Superbowl if he had started Romo early and coached him out some of his bad habits but he had to the wins.

But I never realised we passed on Rodgers twice, YIKES!

Jiggyfly

Banned
And yet he was still vastly superior to the current braintrust. Both front office and coaching.
Actually no.

Him missing on so many 2nd and 4th round draft choices set this team back a couple of years, you know the same thing people bitch about now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Actually no.

Him missing on so many 2nd and 4th round draft choices set this team back a couple of years, you know the same thing people bitch about now.
Wait, what? Parcells set us back? He set the table for Phillips. Our "core" over the last decade is because he was around. He whiffed like everyone else. But I bet we look back on the Phillips and Garrett regimes in a lower light.

townsend

Banned
Wait, what? Parcells set us back? He set the table for Phillips. Our "core" over the last decade is because he was around. He whiffed like everyone else. But I bet we look back on the Phillips and Garrett regimes in a lower light.
I would say he set us up for some playoff runs, and was a million times better than the Gailey, Campo or Phillips era GMing. But there were deep flaws that hurt us in the long term. We hit big in 03 and 05, and had some pretty amazing udfa signings with Miles Austin and Romo. But we drafted every undersized injury prone olinemen available, and handed Marco Rivera to a big contract for good measure. Our best two lineman of the Phillips era (Gurode, Adams) were pre-Parcells era guys. I gotta think that if we had even a little bit of success in the Parcells era with oline we wouldn't have had a bunch of schlubs like Costa, Livings, and Bernadeau protecting Romo for the first few years of the Garrett era. Considering that every late season melt down 2011-2013 was precipitated by a Romo injury, that's pretty impactful.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yeah. Parcells wasn't perfect but who is. He built something that had some success until it got Jerried & Waded, though Wade got some good mileage out of it. I don't kiss the man's feet but he knew what he was doing. Everyone misses on players but he had success in multiple places. Jerry didn't like walking on eggshells though so we get Garrett. Hooray.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That core was Romo Witten and Ware, that's not a deep enough core.

And you are the guy who is always pointing out how we do not get enough depth out of our drafts, the same could be said out of the Parcells era.

No he did not whiff like everyone else he whiffed a lot, not drafting a 2nd rounder who turned into a legitimate starter is a fail no matter how you look at it.

I give him all the credit for changing the culture but his draft record leaves a lot to be desired.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Actually no.

The only thing that sunk Parcells' tenure was his complete failure to draft or even sign O-Line. Johnson, Rodgers, Peterman, Rivera, leaving Gurode on the bench for 2 years because he didn't know he could play Center, rolling into a season with Pettiti penciled in at RT, kept that offense from ever getting up off its ass while he was here.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Nolan Carroll signed back with the Eagles.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Here is the core of players Parcells built: Romo, Witten, Ware, TO, Newman, Ratliff, Hatcher, Bowen, Barber, Canty, Austin, Crayton, Kyle Kosier, Bradie James, Mat McBriar, Marc Colombo, Terry Glenn, Anthony Henry.

I also count Andre Gurode and maybe even Flozell Adams as they went from suspect players to dominant ones under Parcells' coaching.

Vinnie, Bledsoe, Keyshawn, Aaron Glenn, Kenyon Coleman, and Hurd were solid players/depth for years, and Fergy, Spears, Julius Jones, Carpenter, and Burnett weren't bad players. Not good either, but certainly better than Hayden for sure.

I use Hayden as an example of a staple of the current regime carried for years. I can't see Parcells ever settling like that for such a key position for long.

Here is a sampling of the coaches the man attracted: Sean Payton, Todd Haley, David Lee, and Chris Palmer. I also think he helped Mike Zimmer tremendously, in spite of the man's inability to coach the 3-4.

He also knew how to drive Jerry-chaff like Peerless Price, Mike Vanderjagt, Derek Ross, Duane Goodrich, Drew Henson, Quincy, Hutchinson, etc. etc. the fuck out of Valley Ranch.

What hurt Bill in the long run was the inability to draft new OL, creating a revolving hole at RG and RT that kept sinking the team and forced it to rely on Romo too much.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Chris Long goes to dinner with Cowboys tonight, and promptly agreed to a one year deal with New England.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Let me guess, you like him now?
Not especially. Just embarrassed by this joke of a team that is idiotic enough to actually become a worse team coming off a 4-12 season. In most NFL cities, there is at least the attempt to improve, whether it works or not.

Aside from landing Thornton, this roster has not improved.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Not especially. Just embarrassed by this joke of a team that is idiotic enough to actually become a worse team coming off a 4-12 season. In most NFL cities, there is at least the attempt to improve, whether it works or not.

Aside from landing Thornton, this roster has not improved.
This team is infected with Jerryism....will be that way till that fucker is 6' under (preferable), is deaf and dumb (still risky), or put away in an old folks home (still would be able to make the same decisions he's making now).

junk

Not So New Member
Actually no.

A guy who turned a perpetual 5-11 team into a playoff team set the team back?

That doesn't even make any sense.

He had his misses for sure, but the team was dramatically better when he left then when he showed up. I don't think we can say that for Phillips or Garrett. The team deteriorated under Phillips and Garrett really hasn't moved the needle at all.

Finding and developing three potential HoF players in a four year period is quite an accomplishment as well.

Top Bottom