DC.COM: Mammoth Tackle Fluker Could Anchor Right Side

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, but I think his 2 TE fetish is proof that he would like to be more balanced than he is.

We run 2 TE sets to be able to do either. If you go spread you pretty much abandon the premise of a balanced running attack.
And this is where I have my problems with Garrett. I don't think he has shown me any ability to adjust or adapt his play calling to the talent of the team. It's why I want a true offensive coordinator. Someone that can sit up in the booth and spend 100% of his time thinking about the offense, game planning and designing plays.

You can put some of the talent problems on Garrett but ultimately talent is a reflection of a GM. Unfortunately we have a terrible GM that we can't terminate. I guess under special circumstances like that you need a head coach that can coax the GM into doing what he wants. That's just a f'd up situation that few coaches could be successful with.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Well this brings it all the way back around to "What coach would force Jerry to take a back seat and stop fricking things up in terms of personnel"?

And thus I return to my list of maybe a small handful of coaches in the game today who are "elite" who could do this who I would fire Garrett for.

Then I'll be met with some idiotic mocking about how "Garrett is not better than X" but that's not the point, the point is we'd have the same personnel problems and thus the same handicapping of a coach with almost any hire we make.

Lovie Smith may be a better gameday coach than Garrett but he's not gonna get this team over the hump with that OL either. Lovie Smith will have his own problems that we'll quickly grow to hate here, that get constantly exposed on a team with deep talent flaws that he can do nothing about.

And then we can run him off too.
Every coach can lobby Jerry for players he wants. Last one I remember Garrett being a a huge fan of was Felix, though I'm sure the Bryant pick had a lot of his influence. Problem is, he hasn't seen fit to lobby Jerry for a good lineman. Maybe he smiled and gave a thumbs up for Tyron Smith, but the low number of draft picks we've spent on OL is telling. He's a typical ex-QB who thinks all there is to offense is having Romo throw 60 times a game and getting enough "weapons" on the field to make that work.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I guess this is the draft where we find out if RHG knows the value of the OL, he got one OL in his first and a CB in his second... This is the Tiebraker?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Every coach can lobby Jerry for players he wants. Last one I remember Garrett being a a huge fan of was Felix, though I'm sure the Bryant pick had a lot of his influence. Problem is, he hasn't seen fit to lobby Jerry for a good lineman. Maybe he smiled and gave a thumbs up for Tyron Smith, but the low number of draft picks we've spent on OL is telling. He's a typical ex-QB who thinks all there is to offense is having Romo throw 60 times a game and getting enough "weapons" on the field to make that work.
You start out so reasonably before going off the deep end every time.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
1st round picks after Garrett's first complete season:

2008: Felix, Jenkins
2009: Roy Fing Williams
2010: Dez Bryant
2011: Tyron Smith
2012: Mo Claiborne

Three offensive skill positions, two CB's, and an OL. No defensive linemen. Even calling Dez a kind of a "do-over" of the Roy Williams trade, you have to say the first round at least has been heavily tilted to the offense.

Top Bottom