Music Thread...

Jiggyfly

Banned
It all depends on the criteria, and by the criteria you are using many of those bands you named in another post—Aerosmith, Bruce Springsteen, Beach Boys, Van Halen, et al—probably belong on the list. I wouldn't put any of those bands as among my personal favorites but or count them among the "greatest" but that's me.

By the criteria of influence, success, longevity, etc., you have to start looking at a lot of bands for consideration. What about the Grateful Dead? Didn't sell a ton of records but created an entire subculture and also more of less single-handedly founded the whole "jam band" scene. Toured for decades and millions and millions of people came out to see them, including a percentage of the fan base that would "follow the Dead" for parts of their tours. I'm not a huge fan (went to a few shows in the 90s but moreso for the parking lot/campground experience and the hippie chicks) but they truly are an American institution.

Metallica probably has to be in there at this point, right? Again, not a big fan but they have had a tremendous amount of success and influence over 3 decades.

I think Kiss is pretty lame (I thought they were awesome when I was 8 and they had yet to ditch their makeup) but that is another band that is simply legendary and deserves consideration if you are talking about the overall scope of their career.

Do you not count someone like Prince because he usually isn't followed by "and the Revolution"?

Could probably go on and on along these lines and would still miss some I'm sure. Like I said, few of these bands would make my personal all-time top 10 American bands (a list I have never and probably will never attempt to put together), but all of them have had a lot of success and have influenced bands for decades.
I included Prince and yes The Grateful Dead is a huge omission but like I said 10 is hard for me because I don't have a lot of exsperience with somebody like Metallica and others.

But I think that's what makes EWF pretty easily top 10 they fit the bill of all of that and did it in both R&B, rock and pop.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The Doors should be on any American bands top 10 list.

I don't know much about their era of music, but the temptations maybe?

Jiggyfly

Banned
The Doors should be on any American bands top 10 list.

I don't know much about their era of music, but the temptations maybe?
I like the Doors but their catalogue is not that deep which gives me pause but they have influenced a lot of people.

And the Temps played no instruments which is why I don't put them in this category.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Beastie Boys FTMFW

Cotton

Staff member
Coming from a huge fan of the 90's Seattle alternative scene, I never was a very big fan of Nirvana. That is all.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Coming from a huge fan of the 90's Seattle alternative scene, I never was a very big fan of Nirvana. That is all.
I was really into them back then. While they were very good & a big deal at the time they may be overrated at this point.

That entire early 90s Seattle scene is fairly overrated as a whole. Soundgarden was really good & probably properly rated. Pearl Jam...meh. 'Ten' was pretty good but they are probably overrated in general. I can understand their appeal but I lost interest in them pretty quickly. Mudhoney is underrated, IMO. The Melvins were rocking out before any of those bands. They have some stuff that I really like but I find a lot of their music to be a bit sludgy & boring.

I know a lot people, including some on this board, liked Alice In Chains. I did not. They rode the wave of popularity of the time/region or otherwise would have never been known on the national scene, IMO. Same can be said of other middling acts like Screaming Trees, Mother Love Bone, & Candlebox. Feh to all of them. I'll lump fake Seattle band Stone Temple Pilots into the same category even though they weren't an actual Seattle band, just a band trying to sound like one. Never understood the appeal.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
I was really into them back then. While they were very good & a big deal at the time they may be overrated at this point.

That entire early 90s Seattle scene is fairly overrated as a whole. Soundgarden was really good & probably properly rated. Pearl Jam...meh. 'Ten' was pretty good but they are probably overrated in general. I can understand their appeal but I lost interest in them pretty quickly. Mudhoney is underrated, IMO. The Melvins were rocking out before any of those bands. They have some stuff that I really like but I find a lot of their music to be a bit sludgy & boring.

I know a lot people, including some on this board, liked Alice In Chains. I did not. They rode the wave of popularity of the time/region or otherwise would have never been known on the national scene, IMO. Same can be said of other middling acts like Screaming Trees, Mother Love Bone, & Candlebox. Feh to all of them. I'll lump fake Seattle band Stone Temple Pilots into the same category even though they weren't an actual Seattle band, just a band trying to sound like one. Never understood the appeal.
I'm pretty sure we can't be friends anymore.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I'm pretty sure we can't be friends anymore.
:lol

I knew that would cut pretty deep for you as you have expressed your love for AIC and STP on this board before. Did not know you are also a fan of Candlebox. I was just never impressed at all by any of those bands. Not a fan.

Cotton

Staff member
:lol

I knew that would cut pretty deep for you as you have expressed your love for AIC and STP on this board before. Did not know you are also a fan of Candlebox. I was just never impressed at all by any of those bands. Not a fan.
You have the right to your opinion. Even if that opinion is wrong. Layne Staley was a god. I will not have his name drug through the mud. Not today!

Top Bottom