PFF - Cowboys: Melton, pass rush, key to defensive success

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Link

Richard Gapinski | October 5, 2014

Coming into this season, many wondered how the Dallas Cowboys could possibly be an effective defense. In 2013, the unit allowed the most yards in the NFL and then DeMarcus Ware moved to the Rocky Mountains and Jason Hatcher left in free agency. 2014 looked like being a nightmare season at Jerry’s World.

The bad news is that the pass coverage has been every bit as bad as the public fearedwith three of four original starters all having ratings at -3.5 or below.

The good news is that a questionable rotation on the line has been playing above expectations. Jeremy Mincey and Tyrone Crawford don’t have any sacks, but have 18 hurries between them. In fact, the defense has 69 sacks, hits and hurries; producing a QB disruption on over 40% of opposing drop-backs; as a team, they rank 4th in the total pass rush ratings.

Henry Melton has been the brightest star. Despite coming off a torn ACL that he suffered in September of 2013, the Cowboys signed the former Chicago Bear as a free agent. With just 81 total pass rush snaps under his belt, Melton has a pass rush rating of +7.7 and has produced 11 pressures. Amongst defensive tackles, only Kyle Williams of the Bills has a higher production rate so far this season.

As long as the pass rush continues to produce enough disruption to mask a poor pass defense, the Dallas Cowboys might continue to surprise everyone as much as their defensive line has.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me, this helps explain a lot of opposing incompletions and why I feel more confident in pass defense. Surprising to me how well Melton has contributed considering he's still not getting a lot of snaps. Could be the rotation with Crawford is keeping him fresh.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure how much credence you can put into these types of ratings but it is interesting because everyone bitches that our pass rush is still lacking. Yet according to this guy at least we are more like 4th in the NFL in pass rush.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There are times when the pass rush is non-existent but for the most part it seems like we are disrupting QB's by constricting the pocket and getting guys around the QB's feet.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are times when the pass rush is non-existent but for the most part it seems like we are disrupting QB's by constricting the pocket and getting guys around the QB's feet.
I would say our pass rush seems more consistent then in years past however we don't seem to have as many jail break opportunities where a DE just straight up blows past his guy to be instantly in the QBs back pocket. Instead you see a lot more of offensive lineman being driven backwards and making the QB feel uncomfortable.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I would say our pass rush seems more consistent then in years past however we don't seem to have as many jail break opportunities where a DE just straight up blows past his guy to be instantly in the QBs back pocket. Instead you see a lot more of offensive lineman being driven backwards and making the QB feel uncomfortable.
This seems to have been the plan. We're basically rolling with 3 LDEs (including Crawford) and no real edge rushers.

I really wish we hadn't signed Spencer. One more young healthy DE in the rotation and we could possibly start getting to the QB with depth at both DE and DT (with Crawford at DT full time).

Corey Wooton was the guy I wanted to sign, he went for a one year 1.5 million dollar deal to Minnesota, and played for Marinelli in Chicago. He hasn't done much but at least he's a cheap, healthy 27 year old with starting experience and 11.5 career sacks.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Best case scenario, we get a solid defensive line for the 2nd half of the season after Melton and Spencer completely play their way back from injury and Lawrence adds a pass rushing element.

Chances are though, Spencer just is what he is at this point and Lawrence makes a minimal impact as an inexperienced rookie.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Best case scenario, we get a solid defensive line for the 2nd half of the season after Melton and Spencer completely play their way back from injury and Lawrence adds a pass rushing element.
Don't forget Okoye.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It could be a lot better, but if you look around the league, the sacks seem way down.

A lot of teams are going to shorter passing games and getting the ball out quick.

We have caused some unforced errors, those are valuable too. Yeah, you'd love the negative yardage, but it isn't everything.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Gonna be interesting to see how this defense tries to contain Wilson.

I don't doubt Dallas will be able to get a little pressure, but McClain and Carter need to be able to go this weekend if there's any chance of stopping Wilson.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It could be a lot better, but if you look around the league, the sacks seem way down.

A lot of teams are going to shorter passing games and getting the ball out quick.

We have caused some unforced errors, those are valuable too. Yeah, you'd love the negative yardage, but it isn't everything.
A lot of the best pass rushers are out and a lot of others are getting old. Mathis, Aldon Smith, Greg Hardy with suspensions. Jared Allen showing his age, John Abraham on IR. I think it might be a net off year for top pass rushers. 15 sacks might lead the league this year.

Top Bottom