George: Cowboys could start sixth different combination of linebackers Sunday

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys could start sixth different combination of linebackers Sunday at Seattle Seahawks in as many weeks
By Brandon George / Reporter bgeorge@dallasnews.com
3:13 pm on October 8, 2014 | Permalink

IRVING — The Dallas Cowboys will play their sixth game Sunday at Seattle and could have their sixth different combination of starters at linebacker.

Rookie Anthony Hitchens, who made his first start at strong-side linebacker Sunday in place of the injured Bruce Carter, said Wednesday he’s not practicing at strong-side linebacker this week.

Hitchens said the Cowboys have Kyle Wilber working at strong-side linebacker in practice in preparation for the game at the Seahawks. Hitchens said he’s back practicing at middle and weak-side linebacker. He mostly worked at middle linebacker Wednesday with Rolando McClain not practicing with a strained groin.

The Cowboys are hopeful McClain can return to practice late this week and play at Seattle, which could shake up the combination.

Carter, who had been playing at strong-side linebacker before he was hurt in Week 4 against New Orleans, is again expected to be out Sunday against Seattle because of a strained right quadriceps.

Wilber practiced as the Cowboys’ first-team strong-side linebacker for much of training camp, but he’s only played 21 percent of the Cowboys’ defensive snaps through five games. Wilber did start at strong-side linebacker in Week 3 at St. Louis and finished with nine tackles. But over the last two games, Wilber has been on the field for only two of the Cowboys’ 113 defensive snaps.

Hitchens played 33 of the 59 defensive snaps Sunday against Houston and finished with five tackles. But Hitchens said he didn’t feel comfortable at times during the game because it was the first time he’s ever consistently had to rush the passer from the edge.

“Overall, I think I did alright,” HItchens said. “I did my job.

“But right now I’m more inside again. They’re going to let Wilber do the SAM, and I’m staying inside probably. I’m working MIKE and WILL again this week.”

After watching film of Sunday’s game, Hitchens said he saw that he was pushed around quite a bit.

“When you have a tackle sitting there waiting for you. I’m 230 pounds and he’s 300-plus and he’s just waiting on you,” Hitchens said. “Not too many things you can do. It’s just one of those things you have to practice, get to a move, and I had no moves, so you know how that ended.”

Hitchens has played all three linebacker spots already for the Cowboys five weeks into the season. That’s not easy for a veteran, much less a rookie.

“It’s been difficult a little bit, but at the end of the day, MIKE and WILL is kind of the same, just a little different,” Hitchens said. “SAM is easier. I picked up on it a little. It’s more blitzing, less calls you got to make. Overall, I think SAM might be the easiest. But it’s my job to know all three, so I have to learn all three.”

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Might be a good time to use Wilber against Seattle's power run game.

Top Bottom