Garrett extension soon?

Tony D

DCC 4Life
@SullyBaldHead Look for the Cowboys to extend Jason Garrett for five years in the near future, possibly during the bye week, if not sooner.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
He's been saying this for last couple years, I'll wait to believe when someone that isn't wrong all the time reports it

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What is the hurry? I mean seriously. It is one thing to lock up players before they deserve it, but a coach? What team would fall all over themselves to sign Garrett if his contract ran out?

If Jones does this before the guy ever has a winning season, he deserves whatever mediocrity follows.

Too bad we will be the ones suffering with his decision.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Finish the season on a high note for once, then talk extensions. I'm not sold on Garrett by any means and I hope the FO isn't stupid enough to throw an extension out there simply because we've sucked less so far compared to years past.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Serious extension only for concrete playoff success vs. solid competition.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
For me to extend Garrett it would take a lot more than this. Even just making the playoffs wouldn't be enough. We'd have to have a pretty good post season run.

It retarded to contemplate it now.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Remember the days when we actually had standards?

Now, we get to 4-1 once in 5 years and we're breaking out the frigging hats and horns and trying to extend the coach for life.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Remember the days when we actually had standards?

Now, we get to 4-1 once in 5 years and we're breaking out the frigging hats and horns and trying to extend the coach for life.
And the MLB we traded for off the scrap heap.

And the RB who could never stay healthy yet is suddenly kicking ass.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
How about we let the damned season end first? WTH is it with the front-runner mentality in Dallas?

data

Forbes #1
To be fair, we only get rid of people when they still have years on their contract.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about we let the damned season end first? WTH is it with the front-runner mentality in Dallas?
Who cares, it's just a head coach. It doesn't impact the cap and you can still get rid of him at any time.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Isn't extending a bad coach after a decent year the mistake we made with Wade? (and Wade actually made the playoffs twice).

Extending Garrett for less than a playoff win would be stupid. I'd promote Linehan sooner than extend JG.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Who cares, it's just a head coach. It doesn't impact the cap and you can still get rid of him at any time.
He's had the best results of his career with no extension in sight. I like stretching this out as long as possible.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's had the best results of his career with no extension in sight. I like stretching this out as long as possible.
I don't think there is any correlation between this season and Garrett not having an extension.

superpunk

Banned
it looks like "what was being built" is finally paying off. the players seem to like him. how do you even move on from that if we win a few more games in a row? definitely wait until seasons end but extension seems inevitable if we make the playoffs, especially considering what jerry's said in the past about what they've invested in Garrett's OTJ training.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't think there is any correlation between this season and Garrett not having an extension.
He's running the football. He suddenly started doing it the moment Phillips left the building in 2010, stopped once he landed the job, and is doing it again this year.

What's changed? Martin?? No way. The Packers called Dallas' zone blocking scheme the best in the league last year.

Again, what changed? Garrett realized he actually has to win these fing games, not try and prove he's some kind of genius in the process.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's running the football. He suddenly started doing it the moment Phillips left the building in 2010, stopped once he landed the job, and is doing it again this year.

What's changed? Martin?? No way. The Packers called Dallas' zone blocking scheme the best in the league last year.

Again, what changed? Garrett realized he actually has to win these fing games, not try and prove he's some kind of genius in the process.
His loss of play calling duties and a new coordinator who has directed a running offense before are the reasons. Garrett didn't suddenly decide he wanted to succeed as a head coach because his job is on the line.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
His loss of play calling duties and a new coordinator who has directed a running offense before are the reasons. Garrett didn't suddenly decide he wanted to succeed as a head coach because his job is on the line.
Garrett had to give up control of the offense because of his performance on the job. If he gets an extension the arrogant little shit will probably want that control back.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So what's finally prompted Garrett to change? 6-10. 8-8. 8-8. 8-8... don't see how it could be the record. I say nothing creates a sense of urgency like potentially not having a job.

Top Bottom