Cowboys go to silent count because of opponent crowd noise ... in Dallas

Smitty

DCC 4Life
By Jay Busbee 1 hour ago Shutdown Corner

You'll find Cowboys fans in every corner of the country, in Alaska and Key West, Maine and San Diego. You'll find them loud and proud despite the team's definition-of-mediocrity last two decades. One place you won't find them, however, is Dallas' own AT&T Stadium.

Dallas was playing in-state rival Houston on Sunday in one of many outstanding games this weekend. Unfortunately for Dallas, Houston's fans made the trip:

Tim MacMahon @espn_macmahon
Follow

Cowboys went with silent count most of the game because Texans fans made so much crowd noise. Tony Romo jokes he might buy more tickets.
5:04 PM - 5 Oct 2014

Other reports indicated that Cowboys head coach Jason Witten was not amused by the Texans' fans. A crowd loud enough to force a team into a silent snap count is a crowd loud enough to affect the outcome of the game, since so much of a gameplan can be shifted at the quarterback's whim in the final seconds before a snap. The fact that the Cowboys had their own game altered by a visiting crowd is stunning.

It's the second time in recent weeks that opposing fans are doing to Dallas what Cowboys fans generally do to opposing stadiums. Earlier in the season, 49ers fans descended on Jerry Jones' palace to an embarrassing degree.

While you could certainly blame Cowboys fans for not showing up, it's worth looking a few tax brackets up the ladder. Jerry Jones may not have expressly intended to price loyal Cowboys fans out of AT&T Stadium, but that's exactly what happened. Team Marketing Inc.'s Fan Cost Index ranks Dallas as the most expensive stadium to watch a game, as of September 2013, with a family of four spending more than $630 for tickets, souvenirs, drinks and parking. The NFL average is $460, and the Cleveland Browns cost only about $344 for the same services.

The shame of it is, Dallas finally has a team really worth cheering; they're balanced, effective, and sitting atop the NFC. Too bad those Blue Star-wearing hordes won't, or can't, show up.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Man, that's so pathetic on your home turf. It's just plain embarrassing.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Man, that's so pathetic on your home turf. It's just plain embarrassing.
Blame the ticket holders. They buy the seats then sell them like scalpers. There is a hell of a demand from other teams fans to make a trip to this stadium. I said it before, it's like a trip to Disneyland for them.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Something not mentioned is how football stupid alot of our fans are, I've been to the new stadium 3 times and everytime I saw multiple sections "cheering" louder when we had the ball.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Blame the ticket holders. They buy the seats then sell them like scalpers. There is a hell of a demand from other teams fans to make a trip to this stadium. I said it before, it's like a trip to Disneyland for them.
Hey, they are probably making money.

Capitalism for teh win!!

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Goes to show that a lot of local fans aren't sold on teh Jer's product yet.

Can't say I blame them after squeaking out another win over a bad to mediocre team.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Can't say I blame them after squeaking out another win over a bad to mediocre team.
It's not a good win unless it by 20 points?

lostxn

DCC 4Life

Well they were 3-1 coming in. We certainly made it hard on ourselves with dropped TDs and turnovers in the red zone but a win is a win.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
The owner doesn't care, why do you?
I know he doesn't but I do I because was a fan long before his first face lift. TX Stadium wasn't the greatest home field advantage to begin with but Jerrahworld is all about the bottom line and nothing more.

It's just fricking pathetic and it pisses me off more because I know the owner doesn't care. We didn't have this level of opposing fan support even when we were sucking during the Bum Bright/waning Landry years.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I know he doesn't but I do I because was a fan long before his first face lift. TX Stadium wasn't the greatest home field advantage to begin with but Jerrahworld is all about the bottom line and nothing more.

It's just fricking pathetic and it pisses me off more because I know the owner doesn't care. We didn't have this level of opposing fan support even when we were sucking during the Bum Bright/waning Landry years.
When the owner prices tickets out of sight to support modern art exhibits, cage dancers and kobe beef vendors, I don't know what to tell you.

The average Joe Redneck fan that lives locally can't afford to go to a Cowboys game.

In a way, you can blame the fans who buy his shit, then sell it like he does to make a profit, instead of showing up to support the team.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I don't disagree by any means Booze. I know the game that is being played by Jones and it pisses me off because of all his empty rhetoric about wanting to field a winner. He doesn't care nearly as much about winning as he does his bottom line.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't disagree by any means Booze. I know the game that is being played by Jones and it pisses me off because of all his empty rhetoric about wanting to field a winner. He doesn't care nearly as much about winning as he does his bottom line.
It was pretty clear once the stadium was built.

It was built as a grotesque cathedral to worship his greed, and well, his tiny shriveled up dick.

It was not built to provide a stadium for his football team to have an environment that allows them to benefit from a home field advantage.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
It was pretty clear once the stadium was built.

It was built as a grotesque cathedral to worship his greed, and well, his tiny shriveled up dick.

It was not built to provide a stadium for his football team to have an environment that allows them to benefit from a home field advantage.
Yep. The whole thing was a shrine to himself, everyone knows that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Houston Texans fans take over Cowboys’ stadium; Romo: It felt like a road game

By Jon Machota

jmachota@dallasnews.com
1:57 pm on October 5, 2014 |

ARLINGTON — Another game at AT&T Stadium and another very strong showing by the visiting crowd. Houston Texans fans looked to be occupying about as much of the venue on Sunday as Saints and 49ers fans did during the other two Dallas Cowboys home games this season.

The red-clad Houston faithful were all over the upper and lower bowls, but especially noticeable in the Party Pass areas.

Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo said Sunday felt like a road game. For the first time, the Cowboys had to use a silent snap count at AT&T Stadium.

“I was a little bit surprised by the number of Houston fans,” Romo said. “Today we played on the road. We had to go to a silent count, and that was the first time I had to do that throughout the game at home.’

“We need to do a better job as a team, as a fan base, to make sure how big of a difference playing at home is. I think going forward I’m going to press the issue. We just need to tighten up on selling our tickets.”

Romo joked that he will buy extra tickets himself if necessary.

A noon game obviously makes for the perfect storm. It’s manageable to navigate the four-hour drive and not need to purchase hotel rooms.

The Texans fans were particularly noticeable during big runs by Pro Bowl running back Arian Foster. Foster’s 15-yard touchdown run in the third quarter made for one of the loudest moments of the afternoon.

It should be noted, if the Cowboys were playing in Houston, there would likely be just as many Cowboys fans inside NRG Stadium.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We've never had a good homefield advantage. Listened to Moose on the radio and he mentioned that even during the dynasty time the fans were only vocal during blowouts, not when they needed them in tight games. Mostly because our fans were disappointed the game was close.

Rayman

Brand New Member
Something not mentioned is how football stupid alot of our fans are, I've been to the new stadium 3 times and everytime I saw multiple sections "cheering" louder when we had the ball.
So true. I haven't been to the new Stadium but I was in St. Louis a few weeks ago and Cowboys fans took that place over. Unfortunately they yelled when we had the ball as well. It's frustrating.

Top Bottom