JJT: Weathered Cowboys learning how to win

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Weathered Cowboys learning how to win

October, 5, 2014

By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- We've seen the Dallas Cowboys lose so many games like Sunday afternoon's contest against the Houston Texans at AT&T Stadium.

They've lost games when the offense couldn't close it out and when the defense couldn't hold on.

And while it might have looked like poor clock management at the end of regulation and two red-zone turnovers would contribute to another late collapse, it only kept Houston from getting blown out.

Tony Romo will tell you this is a game the Cowboys would've lost a year ago. So will Barry Church. And Brandon Carr.

But this is a different team, one guided by Jason Garrett's process and toughened by their collective scars from the past.

Understand, it's hard to win in the NFL these days. No lead is seemingly safe.

The Carolina Panthers, Cleveland Browns, New York Giants, New Orleans Saints and Buffalo Bills each rallied from deficits of 10 points or more Sunday.

Ultimately, the game is about making plays at winning time -- and that's what the Cowboys did -- whether we're talking about defensive tackle Jeremy Mincey forcing an overtime incompletion on third-and-2 with heavy pressure on quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. ...

... Or Dez Bryant's sensational leaping 37-yard catch over cornerback Jonathan Joseph on the game-winning drive. ...

... Or Dan Bailey making a 49-yard field goal after missing a 53-yard kick as time expired in regulation.

The Cowboys have now won four consecutive games, matching their longest winning streak since Garrett took over eight games into the 2010 season.

"We don't really live in that four-in-a-row thing," Garrett said. "We're focused on this day and what we need to do to prepare for the challenge and then get ready to play our best football for three hours.

"We've got the right kinds of guys on our team. Guys who compete. When things don't go well, they have the right kind of demeanor -- they're going to play the next play."

Now, Dallas travels to Seattle -- the league's toughest place to play -- against the defending Super Bowl champions.

Garrett will spend the week downplaying the game's hype. He'll talk about the need for the Cowboys to focus only on themselves and their individual improvement because that's what eventually leads to the collective improvement of the team.

He won't have any problem getting his players to buy into the concept. They repeat his mantras publicly and privately. They see tangible evidence Garrett's process works.

"We've been through a lot," Carr said. "There have been ups and downs. We've been blown out and we've blown leads. We probably wouldn't have won this game last year.

"We understand teams are going to make plays and they're going to battle back, but we talk about playing with poise. You can learn how to win -- and that's what we're doing. We have a lot of guys with chips on their shoulders and attitudes about how they've been treated and we're all playing and practicing with the same urgency and accountability to one another."

None of this means the Cowboys won't struggle at some point this season. It doesn't mean they'll win the division or even make the playoffs, but so much of professional sports is about confidence -- and these Cowboys have it.

The four teams they've beaten are a combined 7-12. Still, you can tell there's a different vibe to this team.

It starts with their ability to run the ball and, for now, there's nothing anyone can do about it.

DeMarco Murray rushed for 136 yards on 31 carries -- his fifth straight 100-yard game -- while Tony Romo passed for 324 yards. Rolando McClain, every player on defense will tell you, has given this defense an attitude and identity.

They play with a relentless style. Four or five players are always around the ball, and now every player is accountable to every other player. It hasn't always been that way.

Whether it was conscious or not, too many times players waited for DeMarcus Ware, Jason Hatcher or Anthony Spencer to make an impact play.

"I feel like in the past, we relied on our great players too much," Barry Church said. "Now, we're all accountable. We all want to make plays."

The Cowboys have not been 4-1 since 2008. That season ended in disaster, with the Cowboys losing 33-24 to Baltimore in the Texas Stadium finale then getting destroyed 44-6 in Philadelphia with a playoff berth at stake.

This team has missed the playoffs each of the past four seasons. It's not good enough to take anything for granted, and it understands that.

"I think you just play. Your record is what it is," Romo said. "You want to put yourself in the best position at the end of the year. Being 4-1 is great but we have a long way to go.

"We did far too many things that don't allow you to win in this game today."

It's yet another indication Garrett's process is working.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Seattle is going to destroy Dallas. No McClain....no one to stop Lynch.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Whether it was conscious or not, too many times players waited for DeMarcus Ware, Jason Hatcher or Anthony Spencer to make an impact play.

"I feel like in the past, we relied on our great players too much," Barry Church said. "Now, we're all accountable. We all want to make plays."
So damned true. The star mentality has killed Dallas since Jerry took over. It's the depth that gets you into position to win. 11 guys are always better than 3.

"We did far too many things that don't allow you to win in this game today."
That needed saying, Tony.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Yeah...I'm pretty concerned about this run D..they are getting gashed for big chunks of yardage.

I don't expect Dallas to win in Seattle, but I'd like to see them be competitive.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think we run the ball and play keep away. Seattle is very stout against the run though, but have show vulnerability against the pass. Also, for as good as the Seattle defense is they average more points allowed against than the Cowboys defense does.

We have a legit shot.

dallen

Senior Tech
I think we run the ball and play keep away. Seattle is very stout against the run though, but have show vulnerability against the pass. Also, for as good as the Seattle defense is they average more points allowed against than the Cowboys defense does.

We have a legit shot.
I dunno. It is going to take a lot of luck and mistake-free play to beat the Seahawks in Seattle. If we win this week I'll get excited.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I dunno. It is going to take a lot of luck and mistake-free play to beat the Seahawks in Seattle. If we win this week I'll get excited.
It won't be easy at all. We do not match up well with their run game, but I do think our offense matches up well with their defense. Particularly Williams vs Maxwell. Winning up there is very tough, but Arizona did it last year with a power running game mentality, so maybe we can do the same with some big shots down the field mixed in.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It won't be easy at all. We do not match up well with their run game, but I do think our offense matches up well with their defense. Particularly Williams vs Maxwell. Winning up there is very tough, but Arizona did it last year with a power running game mentality, so maybe we can do the same with some big shots down the field mixed in.
Just can't get past your first point. We match up well vs their defense, but they match up better vs ours. Lynch is going to go nuts on our LB corps and I don't think Wilson will ever be seriously challenged into a mistake.

It is going to take everything this defense has to win. Offensively we can make a bit of a difference by unleashing a gadget play or two. Teams are reacting to play action on Murray, so I can only imagine what a full-blown flea flicker might bring, especially Williams on Maxwell.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Just can't get past your first point. We match up well vs their defense, but they match up better vs ours. Lynch is going to go nuts on our LB corps and I don't think Wilson will ever be seriously challenged into a mistake.

It is going to take everything this defense has to win. Offensively we can make a bit of a difference by unleashing a gadget play or two. Teams are reacting to play action on Murray, so I can only imagine what a full-blown flea flicker might bring, especially Williams on Maxwell.
Jesus...the Seahawks are good, but they are not the 85 Bears.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We aren't the 85 Dolphins though either.

And they are the defending champs, so this is the litmus test.

Then again, to be the man, you have to beat the man. Wooooooooooooooooo. :unsure

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm with you. I think Dallas has a better QB and overall a better offense. The Seahawks have lost this season as well. I am expecting a tough game but if Dallas fields most of their starters , they can run with them.

superpunk

Banned
the seahawks are one of only a very few elite teams in the league. i wouldn't even presume to think we can hang with them yet. this will show us where we are. i mean we've beaten jake locker, austin davis, ryan fitzpatrick and the worst version of drew brees i've seen in a 5 years

it's great that our team is palying with tons of confidence right now though. that will be big on the road.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
the seahawks are one of only a very few elite teams in the league. i wouldn't even presume to think we can hang with them yet. this will show us where we are. i mean we've beaten jake locker, austin davis, ryan fitzpatrick and the worst version of drew brees i've seen in a 5 years

it's great that our team is palying with tons of confidence right now though. that will be big on the road.
You are just saying the same old things posters say every week about every opponent. Every week Dallas is going to get massacred. If you say it every week you will have right some of their time. So far they are winning more than they are losing so we will just see how it sifts out this weekend.

superpunk

Banned
except this is the first time i've said it

i knew those other teams weren't good

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm with you. I think Dallas has a better QB and overall a better offense. The Seahawks have lost this season as well. I am expecting a tough game but if Dallas fields most of their starters , they can run with them.
The game will be simple. Run the ball and don't turn the ball over. I think we can run the ball against any defense. My concern is turnovers. We can't do what we did against the Texans against the Seahawks. Seattle doesn't turn the ball over much. If we turn it over 3 times we won't be able to hang.

If we can protect the ball I think that game is neck and neck.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sure they aren't.

But is about matchups.

Are we equipped to go to toe to toe with their defense?

Is our defense able to stand up to a strong running game? We certainly have not shown we can do so thus far.

Can we possibly hang with them? Maybe.

But just be honest here. Their home record alone makes it a daunting task.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Not taking sides, but this is also what was said about Graham before the Saints game.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Not taking sides, but this is also what was said about Graham before the Saints game.
That's an entirely different aspect of the game. I said at the time we could take Graham out of the game and restrict Brees' vision. I think we did that.

It's going to be hell beating Wilson with no team speed though. It's like Green Bay losing their first home playoff game to Mike Vick and the Falcons. No one will be able to get near him and I think he'll be able to have his way with us.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
Sure they aren't.

But is about matchups.

Are we equipped to go to toe to toe with their defense?

Is our defense able to stand up to a strong running game? We certainly have not shown we can do so thus far.

Can we possibly hang with them? Maybe.

But just be honest here. Their home record alone makes it a daunting task.

It is a nasty place to play a game. No doubt.

But-- Dallas is-- dare I say it-- developing into a physically imposing offense, and they have a scrappy defense to go along with it. They have a puncher's chance to win this game. I am looking forward to seeing their demeanor on Sunday. It was already a L in my book when the season started-- but a strong, competitive showing will be great-- and if they can go into Seattle and walk out with a win? All bets are off….

Top Bottom