FCC eliminates "blackout rule"

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
FCC unanimously dumps blackout rule

Posted by Mike Florio on September 30, 2014, 11:13 AM EDT

The NFL wants to “Protect Football on Free TV.” The FCC did just that on Tuesday, voting unanimously to abandon the blackout rule.

“This is a historic day for sports fans,” Sports Fans Coalition chairman David Goodriend said in a release. “Since 1975, the federal government has propped up the NFL’s obnoxious practice of blacking out a game from local TV if the stadium did not sell out. Today’s FCC action makes clear: if leagues want to mistreat fans, they will have to do so without Uncle Sam’s help.”

It doesn’t mean the blackout rule has died; the NFL and broadcast networks can agree to abide by its terms. Today’s decision means only that the NFL can’t insist on network blackouts via an FCC policy that previously gave the NFL the ability to pull the plug.

Since 1975, the NFL has blocked local broadcasts of games in which the home team failed to sell all non-premium tickets at least 72 hours before kickoff.

The next step could be to pursue federal legislation that would eliminate the broadcast antitrust exemption if the NFL doesn’t abandon the blackout practice altogether. If the bill introduced last year becomes law, blackouts immediately will go the way of the dodo bird, the dropkick, and Tom Brady’s talent.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Screw you, NFL.

If you want to protect free football, do away with the Sunday Ticket and give me any game I want to see for free.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
They should have their local broadcasts and then put the rest of the games on PPV for about $15 each.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Glad to see this. Another punch in the nose for the elitist NFL.

If I am not mistaken, they are the only major sport that was so invested in the blackout thing.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Screw you, NFL.

If you want to protect free football, do away with the Sunday Ticket and give me any game I want to see for free.
There's only one problem with that... how are they going to get the game that you want to see to your house? Unless you want to install a monster sized satellite dish in your yard where you can pick up the individual signals from all the local markets.

dallen

Senior Tech
Glad to see this. Another punch in the nose for the elitist NFL.

If I am not mistaken, they are the only major sport that was so invested in the blackout thing.
Well, they are also the only one that consistantly sells out every home game

Top Bottom