Archer: Quad strain could limit Bruce Carter

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Quad strain could limit Bruce Carter
September, 29, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garett put linebacker Bruce Carter in the day-to-day category with a quadriceps strain in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s win against the New Orleans Saints.

Carter pulled up on a 62-yard run by Khiry Robinson on the Saints’ first touchdown drive and did not return.

After the game Carter said he would be OK, but defensive end DeMarcus Ware suffered a quadriceps strain last season and missed three games.

Garrett said Carter played his best game of the season Sunday. He was credited with six tackles and two pass deflections, including one that ended up in Justin Durant’s arms for an interception.

“He was around the ball, made the big tip on the interception, just seemed to be around the ball,” Garrett said. “Hits on the ball, both in the run game and in the pass game. I thought he did a good job of knocking them back when he tackled them. I thought we did a good job of that as a football team. That’s a point of emphasis for us, the way you tackle matters. I thought Bruce was a part of those tackles besides just being around the ball most of the night.”

When Carter went down for the night, Rolando McClain took more work in the nickel defense. He had been playing only in the base defense as he recovered from a groin strain that kept him out of the Sept. 21 meeting against the St. Louis Rams

McClain was questionable heading into the game after taking part in a limited portion of Friday’s practice. Garrett said McClain came out of the Saints’ win fine.

“He’s a smart player – very instinctive, he picks things up quickly,” Garrett said. “I think that certainly helped in his ability to play in that game.”

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Carter was a playmaker on Sunday. I hope thee injury doesn't linger. it didn't look minor though I understand quad injuries aren't as bad as hamstrings. Never had the former myself but plenty of the latter...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Bruce Carter will miss some time with quad strain

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 30, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT

After Dr. Jerry Jones misdiagnosed Morris Claiborne’s torn patellar tendon as an ACL, we’re probably going to want to get a second opinion.

But Jones said this morning on is weekly radio show on KRLD-FM that linebacker Bruce Carter would likely miss this week’s game.

“This is one of those week-to-week [injuries],” Jones said, via Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “We couldn’t get a firm yes from our trainers. It is one of those the proverbial, ‘Let’s see how he’s doing.’ These injuries, quad strains, are not long-term injuries. But you say, ‘Well, missing a game is getting pretty long term when you don’t have but 16 of them,’ but still we’ll have to see with him. If he’s moving pretty good.

“I think Carter is a good healer, and some people heal faster than others. So we’ll want to keep a close eye on him.”

Defensive end DeMarcus Ware missed three games with a quad strain last year, though it’s not clear if the extent of Carter’s injury is similar.

Carter went down like a sniper got him while chasing a Khiry Robinson run in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s win over the Saints.

The Cowboys had momentarily found some stability on defense with Carter, Justin Durant and Rolando McClain at linebacker, but they’re going to have to adjust now.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Good time for him to be out with the Texan's passing game average and run game seriously ailing. I'm mostly concerned about JJ Watt in this game.

We will need him in Seattle.

Top Bottom