MacMahon: Terrance Williams takes advantage of 1-on-1 opportunities

Carp

DCC 4Life
IRVING, Texas -- The New Orleans Saints dared Terrance Williams to beat them. The second-year Dallas Cowboys receiver seized the opportunity.

Facing a steady diet of single coverage, Williams feasted in Sunday night’s rout, catching six passes for 77 yards and two touchdowns.

“The more they disrespect,” receiver Dez Bryant said, “the more he dominates.”

It’s really not a matter of disrespecting Williams, who became a full-time starter when the Cowboys released Miles Austin in the spring and has four touchdowns in this season’s first four games. It’s just that the Cowboys have so many other offensive weapons who command respect.

No defensive coordinator is going to scheme to stop Williams when he has to deal with NFL rushing leader DeMarco Murray and a pair of Pro Bowl pass catchers in Bryant and tight end Jason Witten. Cornerbacks are going to get left on an island against Williams a lot.

“I mean, it’s the best thing when it’s one-on-one and you can just find a way to get open,” Williams said. “I’m just really trying to take pressure from Dez and Witten, because when they get singled, they’re the best at what they do. I’m just really trying to help them out.”

Williams understands he’s fourth on the pecking order of Dallas’ playmakers. The Cowboys are going to hammer away with Murray and come up with ways to get Bryant and Witten the ball despite the defensive attention they receive.

As far as Williams is concerned, his job is to maximize the opportunities he gets, giving Tony Romo reason to trust him. He’s certainly done his part in the first quarter of the season, turning 20 targets into 14 catches for 179 yards and the four scores.

“Whenever he looks my way, be ready, no excuses,” said Williams, who had 44 catches for 736 yards and five touchdowns as a rookie. “That’s just how I go about it. I’m going to do what I’m supposed to do because I have too much pride to let that get in the way. Whenever Tony gives me a chance, I’ve just got to be ready.”

Williams has done that well enough to give opponents reason to worry about covering him one-on-one -- not that they have many options with all the other weapons on the Cowboys’ offense.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I really like Williams, his attitude is exactly what we need from #2 receiver. He has been taking advantage of those opportunities, and I think it will start to open the field up.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
It's a shame when his rookie contract is up some idiot is going to offer him #1 money...

Top Bottom