Cowboys Have Cap Woes Coming in 2014

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You totally just got timestamped, brah.
Nope. You just said Jerry and Stephen would fix it. You like Jerry and Stephen.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah. Fire the GM and his family.

Or we could all simultaneously win a separate lottery, buy the team, and run it perfectly winning the superbowl every year.

Equal chance of both happening.
How fucking awesome would that be. All of the DCC brothers in the war room arguing about who to pick. :lol

Cotton

Staff member
Nope. You just said Jerry and Stephen would fix it. You like Jerry and Stephen.
You're misreading me, amigo.

Rev

Staff member
Yeah. Fire the GM and his family.

Or we could all simultaneously win a separate lottery, buy the team, and run it perfectly winning the superbowl every year.

Equal chance of both happening.

Im fairly positive that each and every one of us that want them gone know thats there is basically no chance of that happening.

Cotton

Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If those numbers are accurate these are the guys I could see us parting ways with next year:

Free
Waters (He's only on one year deal anyway)
Austin
Bernadeau
Scandrick (Unless restructured)
Costa

And maybe a surprise player. Although, I find it really hard to believe that Jerry will cut a guy like Ware. That's not his M.O. He'll keep pushing money to the right to keep players like Ware and Witten around even if they're in decline.

D

Deuce

How fucking awesome would that be. All of the DCC brothers in the war room arguing about who to pick. :lol
We wouldn't let you in on the discussion. You'd keep throwing out names of people not even eligible.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That team would have seven 1st round draft picks spread over both lines, would suck rotten ass at every other position, and would get blown out on a routine basis. No fan has half a clue how to run a team.

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not solved...avoided and pushed off. Again and again.

Rev

Staff member
Yeah. We are going to pay for these bad contracts for a very long time.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What's funny about Jerry apologists like Fisher is they will trumpet the virtues of credit card charging the contracts of guys like Romo and Ware to save...uhh...half of the amount we are over the cap?

We will have to trim a lot of fat and at the same time be shopping in the flea market of free agency after another draft where we flop. Happens every year.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I hate Jerry and Goof Son, but the cap really isn't that big of a deal. Teams get around it all the time.

The real issue is trimming dead weight like Austin and moving on. Jerry hates to give up his shiny little toys.

Cotton

Staff member
I hate Jerry and Goof Son, but the cap really isn't that big of a deal. Teams get around it all the time.

The real issue is trimming dead weight like Austin and moving on. Jerry hates to give up his shiny little toys.
The problem is, when you constantly just restructure to fit in under the cap, you end up with contracts just like the one we need to get out from under like Austin's.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Cowboys' cap jail not life sentence

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- As Adam Schefter reported on Sunday, the Dallas Cowboys are projected to be over the 2014 salary cap by a league-high $31 million, but it’s not as if the team did not know it.

Romo
With the quick work of the calculator, the Cowboys can shave nearly $37 million off the salary cap with six restructures and just two roster moves.

When the Cowboys signed Tony Romo to a six-year extension worth $108 million last offseason, and Sean Lee to a six-year extension worth $42 million last summer, they did so knowing they would re-work the players’ deals in Year 2. The Cowboys can create roughly $13 million in salary-cap room just with those two moves alone.

Restructuring the deals of DeMarcus Ware, Brandon Carr, Jason Witten and Orlando Scandrick could create another $17 million in cap space.

They can get another $5.5 million in salary-cap space by making wide receiver Miles Austin a post-June 1 cut, or could come up with less savings by asking Austin to take a pay cut the way right tackle Doug Free did in 2013. The possible release of Mackenzy Bernadeau would give the Cowboys $1.4 million in space, but create a hole on the line, especially if Brian Waters does not want to continue to play.

The downside of restructuring the deals of veterans is that it increases their cap figures in the future. Romo’s 2015 salary-cap figure would balloon to more than $27 million, but the team would simply re-work the contract again and push the due bill out again.

Teams expect a spike in the salary cap in 2015 or ’16 that could make it all more palatable.

By then the Cowboys will have to make decisions on free agents like Dez Bryant, Tyron Smith and possibly Bruce Carter.

Executive vice president Stephen Jones, who is in charge of the salary cap, says the same thing every year when it comes to free agency: the Cowboys will be able to do what they want to do in free agency.

And 2014 should not be any different, even if it looks daunting right now.

Rev

Staff member
We are going to be Romo until the year 2057

superpunk

Banned
oh is it that time of year when people get needlessly worked up over something they don't remotely understand already????? Never fails, every year. Cap woes, lol.

Top Bottom