Archer: Terrell McClain comes to life in third quarter

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Terrell McClain comes to life in third quarter
October, 20, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- In the offseason Terrell McClain was one of the Dallas Cowboys' biggest surprises, but then the defensive tackle suffered a high ankle sprain in training camp that kept him out of the preseason games.

The ankle injury kept him out of the season opener against the San Francisco 49ers. He then suffered a concussion against the St. Louis Rams in Week 3 and did not play the following week against the New Orleans Saints.

In three games he was credited with five tackles and a quarterback pressure.

But in the third quarter of Sunday’s 31-21 win against the New York Giants, McClain had three tackles and two tackles for a loss. He should have been credited with a forced fumble and recovery if not for the officials incorrectly ruling forward progress stopped.

“I don’t know what it was,” McClain said. “It was just something that hit me. We came in at halftime and say, ‘That wasn’t us in the first half. We’ve got to come out and play our ball.’ Just had to go out there and let it go.”

There was some outcry over the weekend when the Cowboys released defensive tackle Ken Bishop instead of McClain to make room for linebacker Keith Smith on the active roster, but McClain showed in the third quarter he can be a disruptive player.

“He was just driven out there,” Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said. “He's playing for a jersey in practice. Rod (Marinelli) has got him wondering if he's going to get (one of the eight) jerseys to come in there and play on the defensive line.”

Carp

DCC 4Life
McClain was solid yesterday and I like that he mixes it up some too.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Hopefully it's a preview of him playing like this or better down the stretch.

I would like to find a way for Bishop to get back on the roster or PS. Any word on him?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Team page still has Bishop on the roster. So whom do you drop to make room for Okoye, Josh Brent, and Lawrence?

Bishop
Coleman
Crawford
Hayden
McClain
Melton
Mincey
Selvie
Spencer

Davon Coleman's agent is probably burning up phone lines. Guess Bishop gets PS'ed again. Does Brent bump Hayden?

Cotton

Staff member
He's still on the team. Toomer was signed today, though.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Team page still has Bishop on the roster. So whom do you drop to make room for Okoye, Josh Brent, and Lawrence?

Bishop
Coleman
Crawford
Hayden
McClain
Melton
Mincey
Selvie
Spencer

Davon Coleman's agent is probably burning up phone lines. Guess Bishop gets PS'ed again. Does Brent bump Hayden?
First one to go should be Lavar Edwards, or Keith Smith since Bruce Carter will be back soon.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
First one to go should be Lavar Edwards, or Keith Smith since Bruce Carter will be back soon.
We are carrying Bruce Carter on the active roster. No need to do anything when he decides he can play.

Now when Brent comes back, that is more interesting who gets the shoe.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We are carrying Bruce Carter on the active roster. No need to do anything when he decides he can play.
Yeah, but didn't we bring up LB Keith Smith?

Once Carter can play, Smith can go back down.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, but didn't we bring up LB Keith Smith?

Once Carter can play, Smith can go back down.
Carter's deal is why we keep playing musical chairs.

We have got away with it so far.

Cotton

Staff member
I assume you meant Toomer was signed today to the Rams PS.
Yep. I figured in the context of the conversation that was obvious.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Carter's deal is why we keep playing musical chairs.

We have got away with it so far.
I guess I'm not sure what your point is... I'm saying once Carter is all healed up, we don't need to keep playing the "call up Keith Smith or Korey Toomer" game every other week. We can send Smith down permanently and that opens up a spot for Lawrence.

The spot for Brent can be obtained by parting with Lavar Edwards a couple weeks from now.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Hopefully it's a preview of him playing like this or better down the stretch.

I would like to find a way for Bishop to get back on the roster or PS. Any word on him?
IRVING, Texas -- Released on Saturday to make room for linebacker Keith Smith on the Dallas Cowboys' active roster, defensive tackle Ken Bishop cleared waivers and has been added to the team's practice squad.

Bishop, one of the Cowboys' five seventh-round picks in May, was active for three of the first six games and was credited with two tackles and a quarterback pressure.

Linebacker Korey Toomer has also cleared waivers, but he has not been re-signed to the practice squad yet. Toomer was active for three games but saw little playing time as the Cowboys chose to recall Smith with injuries at the linebacker spot in part because Smith was more familiar with the defensive scheme. Toomer was cut last week when the Cowboys brought back defensive end Lavar Edwards.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why is there an article about McClain when Crawford is pretty much emerging as a legitimate player?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Why is there an article about McClain when Crawford is pretty much emerging as a legitimate player?
Crawford had his week of articles time for something new.

I'm glad to see we have not lost all of the crankiness.:lol

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Crawford had his week of articles time for something new.

I'm glad to see we have not lost all of the crankiness.:lol
That said, McClain played the game of his life Sunday.

Robbed of a fumble recovery and he made several other plays.

Not bad for a journeyman stiff.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That said, McClain played the game of his life Sunday.

Robbed of a fumble recovery and he made several other plays.

Not bad for a journeyman stiff.
He actually looks pretty quick and explosive I was surprised, he looks better than Melton so far.

Top Bottom