Cowboys at Chargers | Week 4 Game Day Chatter Thread | 09/29/2013

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Way too early to can him now but it wouldn't have bothered me at all if I woke up to news that Garrett had been Kiffin'd.

Jerry pulls him off the team bus at the private DFW terminal, fires him at 3:00 AM, then the bus departs back to the team HQ w/o Garrett.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Way too early to can him now but it wouldn't have bothered me at all if I woke up to news that Garrett had been Kiffin'd.

Jerry pulls him off the team bus at the private DFW terminal, fires him at 3:00 AM, then the bus departs back to the team HQ w/o Garrett.
Funny you should mention Kiffin. Don't be surprised if he's the OC if we hire Lovie Smith as the HC. That's a move that has Jerry's signature scrawled all over it.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I agree. I never thought the problem was mostly play calling. This offense is set up to fail. We set out every year under Garrett to throw 75% of the time in an offense that isn't set up to accentuate the passing game. We also just wasted a lot of the offseason on the Two TE Offense idea AGAIN. Garrett needs to get fired just for continually putting us through that, year after year and blowing 2nd round picks to do it.
Stuck. In. The. 90's!

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I've never been a fan of Garrett so firing him certainly wouldn't bother me one bit. But while I don't agree with Schmitty's idiotic stance of let's-not-fire-him-because-you-can't-guarantee-the-next-guy-will-be-better, I do agree with him that it may not make much of a difference.

If all Jerry is going to do is replace him with someone similar, a coach who he can control and undermine on a weekly basis, then firing Garrett won't matter. It'll be the same shit, different pile.

I would still fire Garrett simply because this offense has not been good in a long time and it's always the same crap with them. Time for a new offensive philosophy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why are you dogging McCoy? His offense has shown to work with Orton, Tebow, Manning and now Rivers at QB. That's much more impressive than Garrett with just Romo.
OUT. COACHED.

Even shill Broaddus acknowledges it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I agree. I never thought the problem was mostly play calling. This offense is set up to fail. We set out every year under Garrett to throw 75% of the time in an offense that isn't set up to accentuate the passing game. We also just wasted a lot of the offseason on the Two TE Offense idea AGAIN. Garrett needs to get fired just for continually putting us through that, year after year and blowing 2nd round picks to do it.
After the first two series I knew we were in trouble.

Murray was running well and the OL was creating running lanes and we come out with this pass heavy attack that struggled out of the gate.

When your running game is getting you 6 yards per attempt shouldn't you lean on that and use that to set up the passing attack? That's football 101.

And as for the two TE set. What a freaking waste of a draft pick. Did Escobar even play yesterday? I saw Hanna but not Escobar.

We purposely wasted a 2nd round pick on a backup TE. Who in the hell does that? :lol

And you can't put it all on Jerry. It looked like he was kind of against it and the coaches and scouts talked him into it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I've never been a fan of Garrett so firing him certainly wouldn't bother me one bit. But while I don't agree with Schmitty's idiotic stance of let's-not-fire-him-because-you-can't-guarantee-the-next-guy-will-be-better, I do agree with him that it may not make much of a difference.

If all Jerry is going to do is replace him with someone similar, a coach who he can control and undermine on a weekly basis, then firing Garrett won't matter. It'll be the same shit, different pile.

I would still fire Garrett simply because this offense has not been good in a long time and it's always the same crap with them. Time for a new offensive philosophy.
Funny because that same guy just knew there was someone better than Wade but now is clinging to his equivalent because the Bill Par cells clone is not readily available.

kidd

DCC 4Life
The question is this:

Was Garrett better than Wade when Wade was fired?

I'd say no. They're about the same. But Schmitty was all about firing Wade at the time. Even when there were "no better options out there" at that time.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Funny because that same guy just knew there was someone better than Wade but now is clinging to his equivalent because the Bill Par cells clone is not readily available.
:lol

I totally forgot about that.

Yea, looking at it that way makes Schmitty's stance even dumber.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Thank you, Booze. This sums up what I was wanting to say.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm just back to not giving a shit at all.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Same here.

Yesterday's loss woulda had me down for a day or two but not anymore. I saw it coming and when it happened, I simply said to myself that I was right and moved on.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Pete Carmichael, Jr. is a guy I'd be very interested in. He ran Sean Payton's offense during the bounty suspension and Brees still led the league in yards and TDs.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
There are so many problems with this offense and these are problems that have existed throughout the majority of Garrett's time here as the offensive "mastermind".

Along with the constant abandoning of the running game, I'd say the one thing that has always bothered me the most is the lack of scheming. We NEVER create mismatches.

How is it that Calvin Johnson can be constantly seen running free in Detroit when every team gives him so much attention? How has Andre Johnson always been able to get involved in the Texans offense despite being the only offensive weapon they had for about 10 years? That's because their offensive coaches find ways to get those players involved.

On top of that, we have never EVER been an offense that makes adjustments at the half and come out taking advantage of something we saw in the 1st half or made an adjustment to counter what the defense had done to stop certain plays of ours. We don't do anything to free up our best players and never have.

We are only successful with what a defense allows us to be successful with. Once they make their adjustments and decide to take X out of the game, we are incapable of coming back with Y and Z. We just labor along in the 2nd half as we did in the KC San Diego games. Hell, I didn't even think we were all that impressive in the Giants game as an offense and were lucky that we had such an extreme amount of turnovers or we would have lost.

Garrett just isn't a good offensive coach nor is he a sharp offensive mind. Anyone who tries to argue that is blind and/or stupid.

kidd

DCC 4Life
It's almost to the point that I'm ready to quit football all together.

I can't see myself following another team and I don't see any future whatsoever with this team.

I used to hang my hopes on Jerry dying and Goof-Son hiring a real GM but that doen't look like it'll happen. Jerry looks healthy and Stephen looks like he's ready to follow in deddy's footsteps.

We are the Raiders of the NFC.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yesterday's loss did not bother me one bit.

I would've liked to have seen them win and it would be nice for them to be 3-1 right now, but the fact that they are not is totally ok with me.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It's almost to the point that I'm ready to quit football all together.

I can't see myself following another team and I don't see any future whatsoever with this team.

I used to hang my hopes on Jerry dying and Goof-Son hiring a real GM but that doen't look like it'll happen. Jerry looks healthy and Stephen looks like he's ready to follow in deddy's footsteps.

We are the Raiders of the NFC.
Not to be overly dramatic, but that's kind of what has happened with me.

I didn't intend to not care about football as a whole, but subconsciously, I realized that that is exactly what has happened with this season. I paid almost no attention whatsoever to happenings around the league in the offseason and that is exactly why my fantasy draft in my money league sucked so bad. :lol

I didn't know Roddy White was nursing a high ankle sprain from the preseason. I didn't know Jonathan Stewart was out for 6 weeks. I didn't know that Blackmon was suspended nor did I know Josh Gordon would miss a few weeks.

For me, not having a horse in the race, especially after so many years, eventually begins to start hurting your interest in the sport altogether......at least it has for me.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Not to be overly dramatic, but that's kind of what has happened with me.

I didn't intend to not care about football as a whole, but subconsciously, I realized that that is exactly what has happened with this season. I paid almost no attention whatsoever to happenings around the league in the offseason and that is exactly why my fantasy draft in my money league sucked so bad. :lol

I didn't know Roddy White was nursing a high ankle sprain from the preseason. I didn't know Jonathan Stewart was out for 6 weeks. I didn't know that Blackmon was suspended nor did I know Josh Gordon would miss a few weeks.

For me, not having a horse in the race, especially after so many years, eventually begins to start hurting your interest in the sport altogether......at least it has for me.
I barely paid attention to preseason.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I spent my time yesterday between watching the Cowboys and the Rangers. That would never have happened years ago.

Top Bottom