Cowboys at Chargers | Week 4 Game Day Chatter Thread | 09/29/2013

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The team lacked emotion...you can't play that way and expect to win. The lack of DL depth has been the biggest issue in both losses IMO as well.
I'm beginning to get concerned about our WR play.

I don't think anyone is getting any separation. Part of that is probably at Garrett's door for not getting more creative, but part of that is personnel too. No one is getting open I think.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We tend to hero worship these guys from other teams. Reid consistently outsmarts Garrett but he lost plenty of games as HC of the Eagles - with a strong front office. There is a reason they finally fired him. There is no savior. Until we draft consistently better and jettison our GM, we'll be an average team.
Correct, which is why 90% of the schlubs these guys name will not come in and do a damn bit better under Jerry Jones, who is a negative force weighing everyone down to be less than they are elsewhere (and some of these guys are only average to begin with).

That being said, Reid is better clearly. Too bad its academic at this point.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This team has been complacent for years....I saw it even under Parcells.

There can only be so many reasons why. Numerous coaches haven't been able to unlock the grip...numerous players have come and gone.....so what is causing it?
There's one constant.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We have continued to have penalties at the worst times though. Holding to kill drives. Offsides or pass interference to prolong the opponent's drives.
I think that is just from your Cowboys-centric perspective.

Every team that loses games had "penalties at the worst times."

Tony D

DCC 4Life
We had an all-time great, hall of fame coach and he moved the needle a little bit and that's it. He improved the talent quite a bit and still couldn't get over the hump. No matter who the coach is we need a lot of luck in the draft, personnel moves and even individual games. It is what it is.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
When you know what you have now isn't good enough, it's stupid to sit around waiting for a guaranteed all-timer. Did we know Mike Smith would be a good HC before Atlanta hired him? Would we have advocated hiring him? How about Bellichick coming off of his stint in Cleveland? How about before the Eagles hired Andy Reid? He was a QB coach, not even a coordinator. How about Pete Carroll? How about John harbaugh?

It's just dumb to sit on a HC simply because you don't have a guaranteed upgrade. Obviously you'd prefer to hire Bill Parcells in his prime. But even Parcells was a nobody before he got a chance.

There are plenty of upgrades over Garrett available every year. Andy Reid is the obvious one from last year. Maybe McCoy, maybe Marrone, or Arians, or Tressman.

Garrett hasn't been good enough. Time to look for someone who is.

Genghis Khan

I think that is just from your Cowboys-centric perspective.

Every team that loses games had "penalties at the worst times."
I'm talking about it happening over and over again.

Also, your statement isn't true. Some teams lose because of turnovers or breakdowns on special teams or coverage or a host of other reasons.

Not every team that loses gives their opponent first downs on penalties or cripples drive with a first or 2nd or 3rd and 20 after a penalty.

Genghis Khan

We had an all-time great, hall of fame coach and he moved the needle a little bit and that's it. He improved the talent quite a bit and still couldn't get over the hump. No matter who the coach is we need a lot of luck in the draft, personnel moves and even individual games. It is what it is.
Parcells never had a quality QB for a full season here. Had he had the energy to go a few more seasons with Romo, there's no question in my mind he would have won big here.

townsend

Banned
Parcells also had a bare cupboard as far as coaching staffs go. Especially on the defensive side.

That's why a defense that got blown out by Detroit in 06 kicked ass in 07.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm beginning to get concerned about our WR play.

I don't think anyone is getting any separation. Part of that is probably at Garrett's door for not getting more creative, but part of that is personnel too. No one is getting open I think.
I think it's 95% on Garrett and his system and I've said that several times prior to yesterday's game.

Our guys are just as talented as most WR groups in the NFL but the lack of creativity stymies their production.

The play designs just suck. The plays are bland, unimaginative, and rely way too heavily on the players athletic ability to make them work.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm talking about it happening over and over again.

Also, your statement isn't true. Some teams lose because of turnovers or breakdowns on special teams or coverage or a host of other reasons.

Not every team that loses gives their opponent first downs on penalties or cripples drive with a first or 2nd or 3rd and 20 after a penalty.
I would bet it happens more of the time than you think.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
When you know what you have now isn't good enough, it's stupid to sit around waiting for a guaranteed all-timer. Did we know Mike Smith would be a good HC before Atlanta hired him? Would we have advocated hiring him? How about Bellichick coming off of his stint in Cleveland? How about before the Eagles hired Andy Reid? He was a QB coach, not even a coordinator. How about Pete Carroll? How about John harbaugh?

It's just dumb to sit on a HC simply because you don't have a guaranteed upgrade. Obviously you'd prefer to hire Bill Parcells in his prime. But even Parcells was a nobody before he got a chance.

There are plenty of upgrades over Garrett available every year. Andy Reid is the obvious one from last year. Maybe McCoy, maybe Marrone, or Arians, or Tressman.

Ehm, no. There are "unknowns" and then there are upcoming stars. A guy like Jim Harbaugh, for example, everyone was hot for, even though he had never coached in the league before. If you're not getting an Andy Reid, then it should be a Jim Harbaugh coming up through the ranks.

Tressman, McCoy, Marrone?

Laughable. You're just trolling on those ones. McCoy, the same guy we are saying is running the "AFC Cowboys"?

Yeah, he'll come in and do a lot better than 8-8 with Jerry Jones bearing down on him.

Now, I'd prefer an unknown to a guy I know about like Lovie Smith. But that's only if I have no say and Garrett is autofired. And of course, if you remember, I said I would have supported firing Garrett for Reid last offseason, but no one else besides you seemed to like that idea.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

You are absolutely correct. This nonsense about standing pat because no one can name a known coach who will provide better results is idiocy.

I know for a fact allowing Garrett to hang around equates to nothing more than 7 or 8 wins a year.

Why sign up for more mediocrity.

Screw that. I'd rather take my chances with another guy. Bring in a new voice with some fresh ideas.

Garrett's been here 7 years and his offense has gotten progressively worse each year.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I think it's 95% on Garrett and his system and I've said that several times prior to yesterday's game.

Our guys are just as talented as most WR groups in the NFL but the lack of creativity stymies their production.

The play designs just suck. The plays are bland, unimaginative, and rely way too heavily on the players athletic ability to make them work.
I believe that this is due to the fact that Garrett still believes that this team can get by on talent alone. He's stuck in the 90's.

In the 90's Garrett was on a team that is, arguably, the most talented team to ever take the field. All they had to do was go out and execute. They didn't need a fancy game plan. Other teams knew what was coming but were unable to stop it. It was Emmitt up the gut until the other team put a safety in the box and then it was Troy to Irvin or Novacek. The plan was simple and we had the talent to execute it without being stopped. If the offense couldn't execute for whatever reason, we simply leaned on a top 5 defense to keep us in it until the offense began clicking. If we lost, it was usually because we beat ourselves. All we needed was Jimmy to keep us humble. Garrett could win multible SBs with this team. Any coach could. Look at Switzer!

Garrett fails to realize that we don't have the triplets along with a top 5 defense and a massive O-line to boot. We have Romo, Dez, and Witten and an O-line that is patched together. There really is no running game to speak of unless we're playing the Rams. Our Defense has Ware and Lee and some pretty good role players and that's pretty much it. It is far from a top 5 defense. If it were, Rivers would not have looked like Peyton Manning against us.

Do we have the talent to win in this league? I think we do. But you can't just give your team a simple game plan and say, "execute!" You have to have a better scheme than we have. You have to have a back-up plan to your game plan in case the original doesn't hold up.

In other words, you have to coach.

D

Deuce

Ehm, no. There are "unknowns" and then there are upcoming stars. A guy like Jim Harbaugh, for example, everyone was hot for, even though he had never coached in the league before. If you're not getting an Andy Reid, then it should be a Jim Harbaugh coming up through the ranks.

Tressman, McCoy, Marrone?

Laughable. You're just trolling on those ones. McCoy, the same guy we are saying is running the "AFC Cowboys"?

Yeah, he'll come in and do a lot better than 8-8 with Jerry Jones bearing down on him.

Now, I'd prefer an unknown to a guy I know about like Lovie Smith. But that's only if I have no say and Garrett is autofired. And of course, if you remember, I said I would have supported firing Garrett for Reid last offseason, but no one else besides you seemed to like that idea.
Why are you dogging McCoy? His offense has shown to work with Orton, Tebow, Manning and now Rivers at QB. That's much more impressive than Garrett with just Romo.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
You are absolutely correct. This nonsense about standing pat because no one can name a known coach who will provide better results is idiocy.

I know for a fact allowing Garrett to hang around equates to nothing more than 7 or 8 wins a year.

Why sign up for more mediocrity.

Screw that. I'd rather take my chances with another guy. Bring in a new voice with some fresh ideas.

Garrett's been here 7 years and his offense has gotten progressively worse each year.

I agree. I never thought the problem was mostly play calling. This offense is set up to fail. We set out every year under Garrett to throw 75% of the time in an offense that isn't set up to accentuate the passing game. We also just wasted a lot of the offseason on the Two TE Offense idea AGAIN. Garrett needs to get fired just for continually putting us through that, year after year and blowing 2nd round picks to do it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well, you had to know this debate was coming.

Top Bottom