Mailbag: Could Ed Reed Help The Cowboys Defense?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Mailbag: Could Ed Reed Help The Cowboys Defense?

TOM MILLER

WEST UNION, IA
With Sean Lee going down for an extended period of time, are we going to see the sameBruce Carter that burst onto the scene when this happened last year?

David: Jason Garrett mentioned on Tuesday morning how impressively Carter stepped up when Lee went down last fall. The Cowboys could certainly use it again, as to this point he’s been one of the bigger disappointments on this defense. The Cowboys have yet to decide who will play middle linebacker with the absence of both Lee and Justin Durant, but I’m throwing my hat in the ring for Carter. He has experience playing in the middle of a 3-4 scheme. Maybe the added responsibility of calling the plays for the defense would be a confidence booster.

Rowan:I don’t think so. He just hasn’t seemed as comfortable in this scheme as the player we saw last year, and switching positions from the one he’s finally used to doesn’t make me think that will all of a sudden change. He’s physically capable of being a valuable commodity, as we

saw last year. I’ve been surprised Carter hasn’t been on the field more this year, but he also hasn’t met the expectations many people had for him after seeing his athleticism last year.

JAYSON BROWN
HOUSTON, TX
Do you believe that the Cowboys should at least consider giving Ed Reed a shot? They tried out Michael Huff.

David: I’m as big a fan of Ed Reed as you’re going to come across – he went to high school right up the road from me. But nothing about bringing him in sounds good for this team. He’s struggled with health issues, as he’s 35 years old. He averaged two tackles per game and didn’t force any turnovers in seven starts for Houston. On top of all of that, he was openly critical of the Texans’ coaching staff in the wake of their recent loss to Arizona, which the Cowboys don’t need. He’s an all-time great, but I don’t see him making this defense any better in 2013.

Rowan: Not if he isn’t the same player anymore, which appears to be the case. I can’t say I’ve watched every Texans game, but even if I had it’s likely I wouldn’t have seen much of him. He’s been injured through different times this year and has admitted a drop-off in play, which forced him to take significantly reduced snaps in games. He was an absolute stud in Baltimore and it may be worth a workout just to see what he’s got left, but the 35-year-old hasn’t looked like the same guy this year.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Cause of our complete ineptitude at drafting safeties.

The point is, when the question is whether Ed Reed can help your team, and Jeff Heath is your starter, the answer is, "duh."

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
Why not bring in reed for the rest of the year? So were out a million or so we spend that much signing all these nobody's to the practice squad. We have a chance to win the division and were worried about blowing a million dollars? Take the gamble were fielding the worst pass defense ever.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
The point is, when the question is whether Ed Reed can help your team, and Jeff Heath is your starter, the answer is, "duh."
Most profitable franchise in the league and were worried about saving a buck over improving our roster. Disgusting how inept our GM is.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Most profitable franchise in the league and were worried about saving a buck over improving our roster. Disgusting how inept our GM is.
I don't think it is so much about saving a buck as it is the cap restrictions. There is little room left and Reed probably wants as much or more than what is available. That would leave no wiggle room for the remainder of the year for other potential needs that may arise.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You guys confuse the shit out of me. You constantly talk about wanting the team to go tits up, that there is absolutely no way they'd do anything if they get to the playoffs anyway.

Yet you scream if they show no interest in bringing in an old ass six game bandaid.

Could Reed be the difference between 7-9 and 9-7? Maybe. What would that accomplish, exactly? Besides a sense of false hope, a stay of execution for Garrett, and a drop in the draft?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You guys confuse the shit out of me. You constantly talk about wanting the team to go tits up, that there is absolutely no way they'd do anything if they get to the playoffs anyway.

Yet you scream if they show no interest in bringing in an old ass six game bandaid.

Could Reed be the difference between 7-9 and 9-7? Maybe. What would that accomplish, exactly? Besides a sense of false hope, a stay of execution for Garrett, and a drop in the draft?
Honestly, I don't see this team going down to 5-11 and 6-10. The wheels have not come off yet.

And despite how negative we are, all of us have internal homer mechanisms that kick in from time to time.

Except for you, swell guy.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Honestly, I don't see this team going down to 5-11 and 6-10. The wheels have not come off yet.

And despite how negative we are, all of us have internal homer mechanisms that kick in from time to time.

Except for you, swell guy.
I didn't say anything about 5 or 6 wins. Only about what has been discussed about the possibilities of making the playoffs, and what is possible if we do make it.

Didn't mean to offend your 'realist' sensibilities. :rolleyes

Top Bottom