Williams: Cowboys release DE Caesar Rayford, sign DT Corvey Irvin

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys release DE Caesar Rayford, sign DT Corvey Irvin

The Cowboys likely soon will play their 17th defensive lineman of the season after signing defensive tackle Corvey Irvin to the active roster.

Dallas released defensive end Caesar Rayford to make room for Irvin. Rayford, who was acquired in a trade from the Colts on Sept. 3, had six tackles and one pressure in seven games.

Irvin, a third-round pick of the Panthers in 2009 out of Georgia, has played in 18 games with three teams, including 12 with the Bucs this season. He has 11 career tackles, including six this season.

The Cowboys also made moves on their practice squad. They released guard Phillipkeith Manley and defensive tackle Jason Vega. They signed offensive tackle John Wetzel to the practice squad. Wetzel, who was an undrafted rookie signed by the Raiders after the 2013 draft, has been out of football since he was released by Oakland on Aug. 24.

Irvin and Wetzel were among 16 players the Cowboys worked out Tuesday. Veteran safety Michael Huff also worked out.

The Cowboys have one open roster spot on the practice squad.

-- Charean Williams

---------------

Yes, we still owe a seventh round pick to Indianapolis as part of the trade for Rayford.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jesus H. Christ we suck.

Cotton

Staff member
It was a conditional pick, but I can't find what the conditions were.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It was a conditional pick, but I can't find what the conditions were.
According to Broaddus...we owe 'em.

Cotton

Staff member
According to Broaddus...we owe 'em.
I saw that. I tweeted him and asked what the conditions were since I can't remember them. He hasn't answered.

Cotton

Staff member
He doesn't have to answer to you.
True, but he does seem to have a proclivity to answer every single other dumbass question he gets.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys lose pick, gain pick
November, 13, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Even though the Dallas Cowboys cut defensive end Caesar Rayford on Tuesday, they will have to fork over their seventh-round pick in 2015 to the Indianapolis Colts.

The condition of the deal that was made on Sept. 3 was that Rayford had to be on the Cowboys’ 53-man roster for at least five games. He was on it for 10 and had six tackles and a quarterback pressure in the seven games he played.

Fear not about the loss of the pick. The Cowboys will receive the seventh-round pick of the Chicago Bears in 2014 because tight end Dante Rosario has been on the game-day roster for eight games. That was the condition of the Sept. 1 trade that sent Rosario to Chicago.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Uh, well, it's still a pick we would have had that now we don't.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rayford is back on the practice squad.

Cotton

Staff member
Corvey Irvin brings different element to DL
November, 14, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Even though the Dallas Cowboys do not play on Sunday, what would a week be without them adding a defensive lineman to the 53-man roster?

By signing Corvey Irvin on Tuesday, the Cowboys have added six defensive linemen to the roster in the past five weeks.

Irvin, 6-foot-2, 302 pounds, gives them something that Caesar Rayford, 6-7, 267 pounds, couldn’t: size.

With Jason Hatcher out, the Cowboys mixed in Rayford, Jarius Wynn (285 pounds) and Everett Dawkins (300 pounds) at defensive tackle against the New Orleans Saints. It was Dawkins' first game ever and Rayford and Wynn are defensive ends.

“I think as much as anything else, we like his athleticism but he has a little bit more size than some of the other guys,” coach Jason Garrett said. “I think that’s an important trait that we need right now. Our guys are doing their best to bring guys in who can help our team. I think they’ve done a really good job of that. I think our coaches have done a great job of coaching them up. This is a guy we think athletically fits into what we’re doing and maybe gives us a little more size in there to help us be a little sturdier there on the defensive line.”

Irvin has seven tackles in 18 games for the Carolina Panthers, Jacksonville Jaguars and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Defensive line coach Rod Marinelli has been in charge of the mix-and-match defensive line and has never been part of something so drastic.

“I just think you look for the best in every man,” Marinelli said. “That’s the first thing. It’s easy to look for what they can’t do and then guys don’t want to coach them. I have a tendency to find out what he can do. Maybe it’s from an attitude or movement or instincts. You don’t get to take him. I’ve always believed that you build a player from the ground, from your feet all the way up. And that takes a little bit of time to do that. So it’s just got to be speeded up, but I still try to do the same thing. And then you got to go reps and get the guys out. First of all, I think they have to see that you believe in them. And they’ll play hard.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Next up, Sione Fua, who the Panthers released.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scouting Report: Broaddus Evaluates New DT Corvey Irvin

Posted 4 hours ago

Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout

Corvey Irvin
DT, Georgia
6-3, 301, 4.96 (40 time)

Selected by Carolina Panthers in 3rd round of 2009 NFL Draft

The Cowboys have added yet another defensive tackle to the roster, by signing tackle Corvey Irvin, a former third-round pick of the Panthers in 2009. Bryan Broaddus checked a few of his recent games this past preseason as a member of the Bears.

Games Viewed: Chicago Bears Preseason 2013 vs. Carolina & San Diego

•Played both as a one and three technique in a 4 – 3 scheme, would say that he is better suited to play as the three.

•Really nice initial quickness off the snap but needs to win on that first move.

•Tends to play high and upright, when he gives up his chest, he struggles to get off the block.

•When he is free, can get up the field and make things happen, keeps moving and working, did a nice job of working down the line.

•Thought he was a bit hit-and-miss when it came to finding the ball, there were times where he was too tied up with blocker and by him.

•Better when he was on the move, twist, slant, will use pass rush moves to try and free himself, will even try to spin, active here.

•Thought he was much better as a pass rusher than he was as a run player, times where he got too high and washed on the play.

•Needs to do a better job of using his hands when it comes to getting off blocks when playing against the run, again needs to win on that first move.

•Fits the scheme because of his ability to quickly get off the ball, attacking the blocker, but needs to play with better stoutness.

Top Bottom