Breaking Real Bad: Inside the Sam Hurd Drug Case

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It would be really cool if Garrett were somehow involved with this.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
Jerry is way too rich.

He's like the rich overseas people that Lidia was dealing with. Untouchable.
He can't be that untouchable if he's walking down Bourbon Street drunk off his wrinkled rear end...

Not that I'm suggesting anything bad should ever happen. No sirree.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jason Hatcher on Sam Hurd: I never knew any of this was going on with him

Cowboys defensive tackle Jason Hatcher said Tuesday he has no idea what Sam Hurd was talking about in an interview with TheMMQB.com. Hurd said in the article published Tuesday that he sold marijuana at cost to 20 or 25 teammates when he was with the Cowboys.

"I never knew that any of this was going on with him," Hatcher said. "He's always been a great guy in the locker room, a great teammate. It is very shocking to hear. But as far as like everybody smoking in the NFL, I don’t know. Whatever you do off the field is your business. I don’t really know what to say about that situation."

Hurd, a receiver and core special teams player for the Cowboys from 2006-10, faces a possible life sentence Wednesday for a drug-trafficking conviction. Hurd was arrested in 2011 when he played for the Bears. He pled guilty of possession of cocaine and marijuana with intent to distribute, which comes with a minimum sentence of 10 years.

"You don’t want to see that happen to a guy like that," Hatcher said. "I had a lot of respect for him as a man. He never came on to me as a bad person. I never knew nothing like this was going on behind the scenes. I wish the best for him. At the end of the day, you got to have a soft place in your heart for a guy like that with family, kids. It’s possible he could go to prison without knowing his daughter or whatever. Sad situation. But I wish the best for him and I will continue to pray for him."

-- Charean Williams

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I read the article. Total joke that he's likely to get life in prison today.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
I read the article. Total joke that he's likely to get life in prison today.
I agree. Yes he was stupid and yes he should get tagged with some time. But for a guy who could actually pay tax revenue instead have to spend the rest of his life in prison for a nonviolent offense? Unreal.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I actually believe that he was an idiot who posed as something he was not.

I don't believe he was this drug lord or an aspiring drug lord.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I actually believe that he was an idiot who posed as something he was not.

I don't believe he was this drug lord or an aspiring drug lord.
Even if he was aspiring.... he never accomplished it. The concept of "attempt" (like attempted murder) is certainly present in criminal law but in this case it's just ridiculous to stretch that to what his empire "might have" become if he was serious about doing it. The clincher for me is.... where is the money? He didn't have any, so its very obvious to see that he was not involved at any time in moving large quantities of drugs.

His sentence is going to be so much harsher because of all these other drug dealers alleging that he worked or wanted to work with them, but it's just stupid to use as an aggravating factor when he clearly never had that much of a role.

Sentence him for the possession of the kilo of cocaine and the marijuana and call it a day.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He ended up only getting 15 years.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He ended up only getting 15 years.
Oh, that's good.

Totally serious. He didn't deserve life in prison at all. I mean, he did totally fuck up, probably deserves some jail time, but yeah, if he's out in half of that, that's great news for him.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Well, now that I think about it, it is a federal offense so he's going to do more than half, but it's still infinitely better than doing life which would have been ridiculous.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well, now that I think about it, it is a federal offense so he's going to do more than half, but it's still infinitely better than doing life which would have been ridiculous.
Yeah, 85% apparently.

Still better than life.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Paint me naive or stupid but I never understood why people need to do drugs except for medical reasons.
People like what makes them feel good. They are creatures of their desires. We all do things that are bad for us for that reason even if it's just food or beer.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sam Hurd a cautionary tale

November, 14, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – I’m not going to pretend I knew Sam Hurd well.

The news of his arrest two years ago was shocking. Reading the back story on The MMQB of what ultimately led to his 15-year sentencing in federal prison on Wednesday was jaw-dropping.

Never once would I have looked at Hurd as a drug kingpin. Nobody at Valley Ranch did. Since Hurd’s arrest, so many people on staff said he would have been the last person they would have suspected to be involved in drug dealing.

Our time with the players is limited during the week. We get roughly 45 minutes a day in the locker room and most of the time we are left talking to ourselves or circling the outer ring of the locker room looking for players to interview.

The questions are mostly about football, but you try and sprinkle in other questions in casual conversations about family or other interests or people you know that they might know. You’re trying to build up a trust so that the player will believe you will be fair with them.

But you don’t really get to know them the way you would know your good friends. Five- or 10-minute conversations don’t lead to much depth. Our dealings with the players are mostly superficial. You get to know a handful of them well, but it is always on an arm’s length basis. That’s just part of the deal.

When I did talk to Hurd, he was always upbeat. He was engaging. He thanked and praised God in a lot of his answers. He was a frequent visitor to the Cowboys’ various charity endeavors, unafraid to talk to a sick child or offer a word of encouragement. During training camp, he would be one of the last players to leave the field, almost always making sure he would catch extra passes off the Jugs machine.

That he smoked marijuana with 20-25 teammates, as the story said, does not surprise me. Maybe I should be shocked. Maybe I’m too cynical.

Only eight players remain with the Cowboys from when Hurd was on the team. Defensive tackle Jason Hatcher is one of them.

“At the end of the day, you got to have a soft place in your heart for a guy like that with family, kids,” Hatcher said.

Hatcher said it was a sad situation. He’s right. It is sad. Hurd threw away a chance to change the circumstances of his family for generations. He will pay a price for his wrongdoing. One day he will be released from prison hopefully a changed man.

Right now Hurd is a cautionary tale for everybody.

Top Bottom