Spencer may be out for the year

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

More credible source.

We should have seen this coming earlier in the summer when Mike Fisher basically talked about the bone on bone issue Spencer was dealing with.

http://dccforums.com/showthread.php?879-Fisher-Cowboys’-Spencer-‘Bone-Bruise’-Could-Lead-To-Serious-Injury&highlight=fisher

Nice contract, Jer!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Good, I'm glad he won't get dick as a free agent now.
Just goes to show you our medical staff sucks ass.

Garrett was just saying he anticipated Spencer being able to do "something" this week on the practice field. Has been optimistic for weeks.

Either he is really not in the loop or keeps getting bad information.

This isn't the first time we have been caught with our pants down regarding a player injury and how severe it really is.

As for Spencer, he's probably done for good. Microfracture is usually the last resort and the end of the proverbial road.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Just goes to show you our medical staff sucks ass.

Garrett was just saying he anticipated Spencer being able to do "something" this week on the practice field. Has been optimistic for weeks.

Either he is really not in the loop or keeps getting bad information.

This isn't the first time we have been caught with our pants down regarding a player injury and how severe it really is.

As for Spencer, he's probably done for good. Microfracture is usually the last resort and the end of the proverbial road.
Agreed, I'm guessing it's the medical staff and the overly optimistic tone of the organization. It's like Jerry thinks he can just bury his head in the sand and hope and wish a guy back to health.

But yes, Spencer is basically done, he will be 30 next season and might get a 1 or 2 year prove it deal where he's eased in on whatever team he signs with as a sub-package pass-rusher. It'd have been nice to get him back this year to add to our DL but give me a guy like Nevis who I think would become our 2nd best interior pass-rusher after Hatcher and I think we'll be fine.

Getting Ratliff back at some point would be nice too, even if as nothing more than a nickel pass-rusher, but I'm not holding my breath on that one either.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Getting Ratliff back at some point would be nice too, even if as nothing more than a nickel pass-rusher, but I'm not holding my breath on that one either.
Hell, they have probably been hiding the fact Ratliff needs double hernia surgery all along and he's done too.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Agreed, I'm guessing it's the medical staff and the overly optimistic tone of the organization. It's like Jerry thinks he can just bury his head in the sand and hope and wish a guy back to health.

But yes, Spencer is basically done, he will be 30 next season and might get a 1 or 2 year prove it deal where he's eased in on whatever team he signs with as a sub-package pass-rusher. It'd have been nice to get him back this year to add to our DL but give me a guy like Nevis who I think would become our 2nd best interior pass-rusher after Hatcher and I think we'll be fine.

Not convinced on the pass rush yet. As teams get more film on what we are doing, they will catch on. It is good to enjoy what Selvie is doing and nice to hope Marinelli has the Midas Touch, but it would be a miracle if he unearthed a quality starter from a guy who never caught on anywhere else. So I am hopeful, but the internal skeptic in me won't accept it as fact yet.

It is not inconceivable that by the end of the year, we will be back to where we thought we were in camp...screwed.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Not convinced on the pass rush yet. As teams get more film on what we are doing, they will catch on. It is good to enjoy what Selvie is doing and nice to hope Marinelli has the Midas Touch, but it would be a miracle if he unearthed a quality starter from a guy who never caught on anywhere else. So I am hopeful, but the internal skeptic in me won't accept it as fact yet.

It is not inconceivable that by the end of the year, we will be back to where we thought we were in camp...screwed.
If that happens I think it will be because of the guys wearing down, not because of the scheme being figured out. This is a very simplistic scheme that literally everybody around the league knows, it's basically just man on man pass-rushing with a few blitzes mixed in, it's nothing exotic or out of the box that can be figured out through tape.

I don't think Selvie is going to put up 12 sacks or anything but he already has 2 through 3 games, if he can put up 6-8 is that any worse than what we were getting out of Spencer for his entire career until he got a fire under his ass after being franchised?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Damn, 10 million for nothing.

That's why those idiots should have gone to the draft and let this guy walk.

Idiots.

From merely a football perspective, this sucks. The way this line was getting after it in recent weeks, I really wanted to see what they did with Spencer out there.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Yea, that's why I'm taking the wait and see approach.

It's common to see these early improvements when teams implement a new scheme. Remember, we looked pretty good for the first 6 weeks or so under Rob Ryan too.

I actually feel more confident in the turnover thing continuing than I do the pass rush, but hopefully Kiffin and Marinelli really are just that good.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yep.

Top Bottom