Watkins: Jerry Jones to make more sideline trips?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones to make more sideline trips?

October, 30, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

During his tenure as owner of the Dallas Cowboys, Jerry Jones became a fixture on the sidelines late in games at old Texas Stadium. Jones curtailed the trips during the Bill Parcells era, though he did talk to Hall of Famer Larry Allen during a game.

But Jones said his sideline trips might start again with Jason Garrett as the head coach.

"I used to spend my time on the sideline and probably need to spend some more down there," Jones said on KRLD-FM Tuesday. "But the bottom line is one of the reasons I'm trying to see and get a feel for is where’s the passion? Where’s the energy? What’s the situation with the team?"

Jones was answering a question about Dez Bryant's passion being labeled as something negative for his sideline outburst during last week's game against the Detroit Lions.

Jones visited the Cowboys' sideline in December 2011 to inform Garrett about quarterbackTony Romo's X-rays after he bruised his hand. Jones was also on the sidelines briefly for a home game earlier this season but he quickly left the field and headed to his suite.

Jones was asked why he hasn't picked up the sideline visits?

"I just have frankly the view that I have at the home games is so good that I really get to see a lot of that," Jones said. "That's there’s, so no reason other than that. It's not really by design and probably before it's through, I’ll be down there more."

The discussion about Jones returning to the sidelines could intensify given Bryant's sideline ordeal. Jones is well-respected and most likely feels he can calm players down with his presence. However, Jones got into a verbal spat with recently cut defensive tackle Jay Ratliff last season when he was encouraging him in his rehab following a game.

Jones' suite elevator lands at the 50-yard line where he can walk straight onto the field. After Jones gets out of his private elevator he can turn and get to the locker room in about a minute, 30 seconds with a brisk walk.

Fucking championship, bitches! :towel

dallas0593

Brand New Member
I'm surprised that his private elevator didn't come down directly into the lockerroom or Head Coaches office!

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'm surprised the son of a bitch doesn't come down outta the jumbotron.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Yes, this is exactly what the team needs.

Do it, Jerry.

How can ANYONE claim this man does not care about winning? It is the ONLY thing he cares about!

:towel

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
If only a red dot would suddenly appear on his forehead.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Jerry is many things, but an Indian princess he's not.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Zombie Jerry would be a pretty great Halloween mask.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys DE DeMarcus Ware wouldn’t want owner Jerry Jones on the sidelines more: ‘Leave him up there. We have Dez for the passion.’
By Brandon George / Reporter
bgeorge@dallasnews.com
2:58 pm on October 31, 2013 | Permalink

IRVING – Dallas Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Ware is a big fan of team owner Jerry Jones. After all, he’s forked over millions to the seven-time Pro Bowler.

But Ware said Thursday he wouldn’t be a big fan of Jones coming down on the field more to gauge the passion of the players.

Asked Tuesday about Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant’s two sideline outbursts Sunday at Detroit, Jones talked about how he used to come down on the sideline more during games and said he needs to start doing more of that.

“As you know, I used to spend my time on the sideline and probably need to spend some more down there,” Jones said on the team’s flagship station, KRLD-FM. “But the bottom line is, one of the reasons I’m trying to see, and the things I’m trying to get a feel for, is where is the passion, where is the energy, what’s the situation with the team.”

Ware was told about Jones’ comments and asked if he thought Jones should come down on the sidelines more during games.

“Leave him up there,” Ware said, laughing. “We have Dez for the passion. We don’t need two passions. Everybody stay where it’s at, and we’ll be alright.”

Jones was asked Tuesday why he doesn’t go down on the sidelines as much as he used to during games.

“I just have, frankly, the view that I have at our home games is so good that I really get to see a lot of that, but there’s no other reason other than that,” Jones said. “It’s really not by design and probably before it’s through I’ll be down there more.”

Not if Ware has his way.

:towel

Top Bottom