Video Game Chatter

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That video card looks a solid half step or a step below mine.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Keep in mind that is a list of "high end" video cards.

The video card on my last rig, which could not run Skyrim on high, was an Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT. Which coincidentally is found on the "High Mid Range Video Card" list, seen here. As you can see, the 9800 GT gets a score of 718. That card was about a step or two down from top of the line when I bought it back in 2008.

Your Quadro K5000M is on that first link (the "high end" list) but has a score of 2,800.

My new (current, I mean) card, which I purchased in 2011 (the GeForce GTX 570) has a score of 4,300, which was pretty much the best reasonably priced video card money could buy on the commercial market when I got it in 2011. There was also the 580 at the time... it was nearly $1000. It was also not exactly easily in stock. So I settled for the 570 which was nearly $400. It was the best non-industrial card that was readily available and priced for consumers.

So that Quadro K500M is a half step down or so with its 2800 score.

Today, my GTX 570 can still run almost everything maxxed out. I have run into a couple games like Rage where I have to turn settings down from Ultra to merely High. But most things, including Skyrim and BF3, I can max out.

You may have a SLIGHT issue maxxing everything out... but even if so, the things you have to cut back on are probably minor, like hair quality or some ridiculously over the top setting that sucks up a lot of GPU power for not much noticeable difference.

Anyway, PC gaming kicks ass. You can build a rig that has MUCH more power than consoles for roughly the same price.

Starting out, you need more initial pieces, so your price will be higher (Hard drive, power supply, case, mouse and keyboard, DVDRom drive, mouse and keyboard, monitor, speakers), but after you have these things, there are only four components that need to be replaced every "generation" for sure: 1) Motherboard, 2) Processor/CPU, 3) Video Card/GPU and 4) RAM.

And you can piece together a computer that absolutely blows consoles away by upgrading those 4 parts for cheap.

Like I said before.... my GPU was like $350-$400. The motherboard and processor was like $250. The RAM was like $80 (I have 8 GBs).

And my now 2 year old computer still just crushes almost everything.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Holy hell. For that price it should suck your dick.
:lol

I didn't even put that together. The network lead, who happens to be like best friends with our IT director, spec'd that machine out and told me I'd thank him later and convinced our director I needed it.

He's got a fricking alienware machine that he convinced the company to get him too.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:lol

I didn't even put that together. The network lead, who happens to be like best friends with our IT director, spec'd that machine out and told me I'd thank him later and convinced our director I needed it.

He's got a fricking alienware machine that he convinced the company to get him too.
He should have made a wiser decision on the video card. Everything else is top of the line except that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I won't lie.... I kind of peed my pants when I saw that he put in a 512 GB solid state hard drive.

Secondary storage, only 750GB? Lame. I have a 2TB internal now. They are like 80 bucks.

But the SSD.... wow.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Also.... all that money, and he goes with onboard sound?

I don't have a soundcard because every dollar I had went into the GPU and processor. But if you're spending nearly 5 grand, I'd have a separate sound card.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Schmitty, so do you think I'll be able to run BF3 on max settings? If I don't, it doesn't really matter. I'm not going to request any hardware upgrades and wouldn't have put a lot of the stuff you see there if it were up to me.

For what I do, I did in fact need a significant upgrade. So the heftiest machine my company gets from Dell is the 6700 which is usually reserved for the engineers of the company who use a ton of mapping apps and graphic design apps. The network and server (me) guys get them too, but not totally loaded with all that.

Just looking at that, I know the graphics card was definitely upgraded, and the machines come with 8 gigs of RAM and a 256 solid state drive, but both of those were doubled as you can see. It also comes in 17 inches instead of 15 which is the norm.

Like I said, my director told me to have the network lead spec it out since he does it for everyone else who they order them for, but he wants me to play Planetside 2 with his guys so he went crazy building mine. :lol

You should see his Alienware machine. It's crazy.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He should have made a wiser decision on the video card. Everything else is top of the line except that.
That may have been the best one available to us from Dell, you know? But I honestly don't know why he chose that since he told me himself his graphics card alone was like 800 bucks.

I'm guessing this what the best Dell offered us as part of our contract with them or something.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That may have been the best one available to us from Dell, you know? But I honestly don't know why he chose that since he told me himself his graphics card alone was like 800 bucks.

I'm guessing this what the best Dell offered us as part of our contract with them or something.
Well I'm not an expert. Maybe something else makes it worth that.

But I'm telling you mine was $350-$400 two years ago and you can see from that list it has a higher rating, significantly.

But yeah, you should be able to NEAR max out BF3. It might depend on how your frames per second tolerance is. Some people are snobs and can't take anything less than 60 fps. I can't even tell, frankly. If I get in the 40s I think it is buttery-smooth.

Your choice might be running it on Ultra at 30 fps (still eminently playable) versus running it on Very High at 50 fps.

Either way I expect it will look better than on consoles.

PS I also have a 21 inch LCD monitor, not 17. :art

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Well I'm not an expert. Maybe something else makes it worth that.

But I'm telling you mine was $350-$400 two years ago and you can see from that list it has a higher rating, significantly.

But yeah, you should be able to NEAR max out BF3. It might depend on how your frames per second tolerance is. Some people are snobs and can't take anything less than 60 fps. I can't even tell, frankly. If I get in the 40s I think it is buttery-smooth.

Your choice might be running it on Ultra at 30 fps (still eminently playable) versus running it on Very High at 50 fps.

Either way I expect it will look better than on consoles.

PS I also have a 21 inch LCD monitor, not 17. :art
I know this is very noob-ish of me, but I'm hooking up this machine via HDMI to my TV.

The reason why is because I play shooters on console on big tv's. I know it's better to play on a monitor and there is absolutely no disputing that, but I'm a console gamer and that's where I will always play.

If I play on a small screen for a long period of time, I find that my aim is really bad when I go back to a big TV again. So as to avoid any issues for PS4 BF4, I'm going to keep playing on the bigger screen.

I play with my controller sensitivity turned all the way up, so it makes it even harder to adjust when I go back.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't think that's a problem. I'd hook mine up to my TV if there was a way to do it easily.

The problem for me isn't hooking it up... I can run an HDMI cable from the 2nd output slot on my GPU to my TV, no problem.

The bigger issue is, I hate playing PC games with a controller. There's no easy way for me to bring the mouse and keyboard into the other room without bringing my whole computer in there.

And even if I did, I don't have a flat surface to put them on. The desk top is my only option.

But yeah, it should look even better on your TV, no complaints there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This nerdy dick sucking shit tone this thread has taken is making me uncomfortable.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't think that's a problem. I'd hook mine up to my TV if there was a way to do it easily.

The problem for me isn't hooking it up... I can run an HDMI cable from the 2nd output slot on my GPU to my TV, no problem.

The bigger issue is, I hate playing PC games with a controller. There's no easy way for me to bring the mouse and keyboard into the other room without bringing my whole computer in there.

And even if I did, I don't have a flat surface to put them on. The desk top is my only option.

But yeah, it should look even better on your TV, no complaints there.
I can't do the mouse and keyboard thing.

What is the best controller or mod you know of for FPS's on PC?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I can't do the mouse and keyboard thing.

What is the best controller or mod you know of for FPS's on PC?
Try google for how to hook up your PS3 or Xbox controller to your PC.

There are ways to do it. I think it's easier with an Xbox controller because it's Microsoft, so it's easily compatible with Windows.

For some reason I couldn't do it with my Xbox controller. I forget why.

But I got my PS3 controller hooked up with a piece of free third party software. Took some calibration, but I got it working (though since my computer doesn't have blu tooth, I had to hook it up with the USB charge cable).

It was some weird Japanese translation. The name of the software, I mean. Like "Always Happy" or something.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Try google for how to hook up your PS3 or Xbox controller to your PC.

There are ways to do it. I think it's easier with an Xbox controller because it's Microsoft, so it's easily compatible with Windows.

For some reason I couldn't do it with my Xbox controller. I forget why.

But I got my PS3 controller hooked up with a piece of free third party software. Took some calibration, but I got it working (though since my computer doesn't have blu tooth, I had to hook it up with the USB charge cable).

It was some weird Japanese translation. The name of the software, I mean. Like "Always Happy" or something.
Yea, I downloaded it a long time ago to play some old school emulators, but I don't think I wanna go that route for playing actual games.

I don't think the response time would be what it needs to be. I was hoping that there would be a legit controller out there by one of those PC tournament hosting companies or something.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Motion in Joy.

That was it.

I didn't think the response time was problematic. I messed around with it. I just hate controllers for most games.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Wow Ace that's really expensive for a PC.

HEre's the one I built earlier this year.

Coolermaster Full tower case $149 From Microcenter
Intel I7 3770 CPU $239 From Microcenter
AsRock Z77 Exteme 6 MB $129 From Microcenter
128 GB SSD Samsung $129 From Microcenter
3TB Seagate HD $139 From Microcenter
Saphire HT7870XT vid card $259 From Newegg
8 GB Corsair ram $99 From Newegg
LG Bluray Rom $39 From Newegg
2 24" 1080P LG monitors $219 Ea From Best buy last Black Friday sale. (I knew I was gonna build in advance so got these on sale)
I already had Windows 8 available so I didn't have to buy that. but still about $1600 for this and it'll be fine for 2-3 years before I have to upgrade any components.

4K plus for a PC nowadays is ridiculous.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
4K plus for a PC nowadays is ridiculous.
I can get a top end machine now for under $1000 by replacing those 4 components (mobo, cpu, gpu, ram) every 3-4 years.

The other things -- power supply, hard drive, mouse and keyboard -- occasionally need replacing but more on a discretionary basis.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I can get a top end machine now for under $1000 by replacing those 4 components (mobo, cpu, gpu, ram) every 3-4 years.

The other things -- power supply, hard drive, mouse and keyboard -- occasionally need replacing but more on a discretionary basis.
:buddy

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Afterward I built a home server with so far 15 TB of storage on an AMD platform for about $1000 so far. I can add a 3TB HD a month of $120 to $140 or so to store all my pics, vids and music. Amazing, 5 years ago this would have been nearly unthinkable for a home user. Win 8 makes a great server setup FYI.

Top Bottom