Lions stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Bringing down Matthew Stafford won’t be easy task for Dallas Cowboys no-name defensive line
By Rainer Sabin
rsabin@dallasnews.com
4:37 pm on October 21, 2013 | Permalink

IRVING — The Detroit Lions’ offensive line is in tatters. Three of their tackles – Riley Reiff, Corey Hilliard and Jason Fox – are injured. But somehow, some way, Matthew Strafford has avoided punishment from opposing defensive fronts this season. Stafford, Highland Park’s own, has dropped back to throw 299 times in 2013 and has been sacked on nine of those occasions. In a loss to Cincinnati on Sunday, he didn’t go down once behind the line of scrimmage despite attempting 51 passes.

No other quarterback, including Denver’s Peyton Manning, has a lower sack-per-pass play ratio than Stafford.

It’s enough evidence to show that even against a battered and bruised Lions offensive line the Cowboys’ defense will be challenged this Sunday as they look to apply pressure to Stafford.

“It is what football is about,” Cowboys defensive line coach Rod Marinelli said. “At the end of the day, it’s still a blue collar game. Men want to go out and work, fight and compete.”

Cotton

Staff member
Dez: I can do whatever Megatron can do

October, 21, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- While he has immense respect for Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant isn’t willing to say that “Megatron” will be the best receiver at Ford Field when the Dallas Cowboys andDetroit Lions meet on Sunday.

“Truth be told, I don’t compare myself to nobody,” Bryant said Monday during an appearance on 103.3 FM ESPN in Dallas. “I think Calvin’s the best at what he [does]. I think I’m the best at what I do.”

Bryant said Johnson’s run-after-catch ability and the way he attacks the ball in the air are especially impressive. However, asked what Johnson could do that he couldn’t, Bryant paused for several seconds before answering.

“I believe I can do whatever he can do,” Bryant said. “I think it’s just a pride thing. When it comes to football, just being on the field, it’s a mindset and having a mentality. I honestly believe when I’m there, I’ll be feeling like there’s nothing I can’t do. Whatever the coaches ask me to do, I’m going to do it.

“I always feel like there’s more. I always feel like there’s more. I think that’s just a mindset you’re supposed to have.”

Since Week 10 of last season, when Bryant began to emerge as an elite receiver, his 1,448 receiving yards rank behind only Johnson (1,689) and Houston’s Andre Johnson (1,620) in the NFL. Bryant’s 16 touchdown catches are the most in the league during that span, six ahead of Johnson, who is tied for fourth.

Johnson set an NFL record with 1,964 yards for the Lions last season. Bryant said during the offseason that he believes he’s capable of becoming the first 2,000-yard receiver in NFL history, although his primary goal is to help the Cowboys make the playoffs.

Cotton

Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well that settles that. Some folks are reluctant to compare new players with established one's but sometimes you can. One example is Jason Witten. I recall when the discussions would get pretty heated when some would compared to Novackek. I took the position early on that he Witten would compare favorably and in time it would be evident. Bryant can now be pegged as becoming one of the best at this juncture and barring a career ending injury I think he will be looked on as one who is among the best playing the game.

Last edited:

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I think, to be fair, they also ought to include yards per reception in that.

Cal: 15.5
Dez: 14.2

p1_

DCC 4Life
Wow, that's pretty damned impressive.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys prepare for Ndamukong Suh
October, 22, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- When the Cowboys visit the Detroit Lions on Sunday, it means the offensive line will have to worry about the antics of defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

Suh was fined $31,500 last week for a hit on Cleveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden. Suh, who already has been fined twice this season for hits, was suspended for two games in 2011 and fined seven times in his career.

Rookie center Travis Frederick, 13-year veteran right guard Brian Waters and second-year guard Ronald Leary will have the challenge of taking on Suh and all the stuff that comes with him.

"We don't want to make it specific about him, but you're always talking to your players about maintaining your focus," coach Jason Garrett said. "Getting locked in on the task at hand and not getting caught up in those kind of things."

Suh, who has 11 tackles and a half a sack in his career against the Cowboys, has voiced frustration with the league regarding his conduct on the field.

"There's always going to be a microscope on me," Suh said last week. "I think there's been a microscope on me since I was first drafted in 2010 because I was a first-round pick. But I think there is always going to be a microscope on me no matter where it is, from outside media, from the NFL to little kids to anybody."

p1_

DCC 4Life
Cowboys prepare for Ndamukong Suh
October, 22, 2013

Rookie center Travis Frederick, 13-year veteran right guard Brian Waters and second-year guard Ronald Leary will have the challenge of taking on Suh and all the stuff that comes with him.
This should be a great matchup. It would be nice if there were some open hostilities.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Lions' Burleson: Dez Bryant doesn't stack up to Calvin Johnson

JON MACHOTA |

Published: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 8:25pm

When asked about Denver's Demaryius Thomas a few weeks ago, Dez Bryant said the Broncos wide receiver is "the best at what he do and I'm the best at what I do."

The Dallas Cowboys wide receiver recently made a similar statement about Detroit's Calvin Johnson during an interview on 103.3 KESN-FM. Bryant added that he believes can do whatever Johnson can.

No surprise, Bryant's opinion made its way back to Detroit and Lions veteran wide receiver Nate Burleson weighed in Tuesday.

"Listen, I like Dez. I think he's one of the best receivers in the game right now," Burleson said. "Very talented. Fast, big, strong. He possesses all the tools to possibly be as good as Calvin. But he's not Calvin Johnson. No way, no how. Sorry, Dez. Keep it real."

Burleson, who is out with a broken arm, called Johnson – considered by many to be the league's top receiver – a "living legend."

Bryant apparently got word that his comments were making headlines because he tweeted the following on Tuesday: "I see I have to be extra careful about what I say."

In seven games this season, Bryant has 42 catches for 569 yards and six touchdowns. Johnson, who was out Week 5 with a knee injury, has 33 catches for 492 yards and six touchdowns in five games.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Dez Bryant does some things better than Calvin Johnson

JON MACHOTA |

Published: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 8:12pm

Detroit's Calvin Johnson is the best wide receiver in the NFL and Jerry Jones won't argue with that.

But Dez Bryant continues to improve and is putting up numbers very similar to Johnson's through seven weeks of play, averaging around 80 yards and a touchdown per outing. The Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager said Tuesday that Bryant has a chance to be the league's best.

"I think Johnson at Detroit is got to be the best receiver – or best end target, if you want to put it like that – best guy to go to right now in the league," Jones said on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. "Dez can aspire to be that and has a chance to be that. Dez does some things better than he does. But the guy has great size."

The one difference Jones pointed out between the two is Johnson's unique ability to catch jump balls in traffic. He did so Sunday with three defenders draped over him. Bryant fell short on a similar opportunity before halftime in Philadelphia.

"In our ballgame the other day, on the Hail Mary, you can't set it up better, you can't be in better position to make that play," Jones said. "And Dez can time that ball a little better and we score right at the half. Well, my picture of Johnson is that, boy, he's sitting down there and he's got that great extra height, that great extra reach and it just seems like he makes those kinds of plays. Having said that, you may have one and two of the top receivers in the league right there."

Bryant will likely get a contract extension in the near future. But will Jones pay him like the 6-5, 235-pounder? In March 2012, the Lions made Johnson, 28, the highest-paid wide receiver in the league by signing him to an eight-year, $132 million contract extension with $60 million guaranteed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This should be a great matchup. It would be nice if there were some open hostilities.
I'd like to see them frustrate Suh into a few penalties myself.

2233boys

Not So New Member
I'd like to see them frustrate him enough, he does something to get thrown out of the game.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bryant/Johnson: What do numbers show?

October, 22, 2013

By Jose De Leon | ESPN.com

During an appearance on 103.3 FM ESPN in Dallas on Monday, Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant made the following statement:

“I believe I can do whatever he (Calvin Johnson) can do.”

In comparing the two, you’ll see his comment is on point. Below are a handful of notes to help make his case.

• From the start of the 2010 season, Bryant’s rookie year, through Week 9 of last season, Johnson had 71 more receptions, 1,576 more yards and 12 more touchdowns than Bryant.

But since Week 10, you could argue Bryant is Johnson’s equal. Over that span, Johnson leads the league in receiving yards while Bryant leads the league in receiving touchdowns.

• On third down this season, Johnson has been targeted 19 times and has caught nine balls for 157 yards and two touchdowns.

Bryant has been targeted 18 times and has caught nine balls for 118 yards and two touchdowns.

• How about when their respective quarterbacks are pressured?

Both Bryant and Johnson have been targeted 11 times with his quarterback under pressure. Johnson has one more reception (5) than Bryant. Both have caught a touchdown, but Johnson has 58 more yards than Bryant due to being targeted further downfield.

• Bryant has caught a higher percentage of his passes in the red zone (6-of-9) than Johnson (4-of-11) and has two more touchdowns (5) than Johnson.

• Both receivers have been targeted eight times on throws of 20 yards or more downfield and have two catches on those throws.

Both of Johnson’s catches resulted in a touchdown and they combined for 77 yards, four of which came after the catch. Bryant has 117 yards with 47 of those yards coming after the catch.

• When the score is within a touchdown in the second half, Bryant (21) has been targeted four more times than Johnson and has caught 14 passes for 223 yards, with 96 yards gained after the catch.

Johnson has 12 catches for 156 yards, 29 gained after the catch, and has two touchdowns.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys DC Rob Ryan on Detroit WR Calvin Johnson: ‘We work against better receivers’

By bgeorge

2:44 pm on September 30, 2011 |

IRVING — Rob Ryan faces perhaps his toughest task yet as the Cowboys defensive coordinator: This week, Ryan has to find a way to slow Detroit standout receiver Calvin Johnson.

Ryan said Friday that Johnson is “a great receiver,” but not as good as the Cowboys receiving duo of Miles Austin and Dez Bryant. Johnson has two touchdowns in each of the Lions’ three games so far.

“We work against better receivers with Miles Austin and Dez Bryant. They are probably two of the premier receivers in football, but this guy is right there,” Ryan said. “He’s almost that good. He’s excellent.

“We’re going to get after him. I know he’s on some touchdown thing like that, whatever. [Lions offensive coordinator] Scott Linehan has done this before with great receivers with Randy Moss. If the guy is as good as Randy Moss I’m going to go in there and hide. Thank God he’s not, but he’s a pretty [expletive] good player.”
-----------------

:lol

Good times.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
"I think Johnson at Detroit is got to be the best receiver – or best end target, if you want to put it like that – best guy to go to right now in the league," Jones said on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. "Dez can aspire to be that and has a chance to be that.
Let the posturing begin.

In March 2012, the Lions made Johnson, 28, the highest-paid wide receiver in the league by signing him to an eight-year, $132 million contract extension with $60 million guaranteed.
Only if Dez makes huge catches contributing to a deep playoff run. Otherwise, this number is higher than Dez' contract ceiling.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let the posturing begin.

Only if Dez makes huge catches contributing to a deep playoff run. Otherwise, this number is higher than Dez' contract ceiling.
Yeah those numbers for Calvin are insane. I love Dez but I'd have a real hard time sinking that type of money into any NFL WR.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Gameday: Pass Rushers & Playmakers Worth Watching

Posted 38 minutes ago

Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

Dallas Cowboys

The Nemesis: DeMarcus Ware
Last week against the Eagles, DeMarcus Ware sat out of the game with a quad injury, which was the first time he had missed a game in his career. For the majority of this season, Ware has been battling through several different ailments that have hampered his performance.

But after a week of rest, he appears ready to return to the starting lineup. In five games against the Lions during his career, Ware has notched 64 tackles, 3.5 sacks and 3 tackles for loss. He will be battling Riley Reiff, who is in his second season as the starter at left tackle. Reiff is the type of tackle who Ware tends to have his most success against.

Reiff is not a powerful setter and tends to catch blocks, which allows the defender to get some push on him. Against the Rams, Jake Long set soft and Ware had a field day with him. Reiff is very athletic, which will help him against Ware when he tries to take him wide around the edge. But like we saw with Long, Ware can hit him with a straight bull rush, then play off that. If Reiff feels like he is going to have to deal with power all day, it should help him in other areas of the game.

The Weapon: Dez Bryant

These Lions corners have had to deal with some outstanding receivers this season: Larry Fitzgerald, Pierre Garcon, Brandon Marshall and A.J. Green. They practice every day against Calvin Johnson, which is a chore in itself, but Dez Bryant will present a different set of challenges for them.

Unless you have lined up and faced Bryant, he is a different cat. Of the two starting cornerbacks for the Lions, I thought that Chris Houston was the better of the two. If Jason Garrett and Bill Callahan decide they want to attack one side of the field, Rashean Mathis is that guy. Mathis does have quickness to run with anyone that he faces, but he is not the most physical of cover guys.

Opponents have had success attacking him inside on routes, and he has done little to fight them from doing that. Naturally, the way that Bryant plays during a game will give him a great deal of problems. When Bryant gets into the flow of a game, and he is out to prove a point, like he will be in this game, physically he will be too much for Mathis to handle. In two career games against the Lions, Bryant has caught six balls and three of those catches resulted in touchdowns. Expect the same on Sunday.

Under The Radar: Drake Nevis

On the game film I was able to study on the Lions, I liked the matchup with DeMarcus Ware vs. Riley Reiff, but also keep an eye on Drake Nevis as a nickel rusher.
Nevis has finally worked himself into shape and has become a solid rotational player for this defensive line. Nevis is playing with far more technique than when I saw him with the Colts this summer. He really only had one move and that was the strong club move that would knock the blocker off balance, then he would rush up the field.

Now you see him doing a better job of using his hands and feet, working together. Where Nevis will have an advantage is working against guard Rob Sims. In watching Sims play, he is all about power and not quick movement. If Nevis is smart, he will not try and rush Sims down the middle but try and play him on the edges and see if he can attack his shoulder.
Nevis and the other Cowboys defensive tackles need to stay active against Sims and make him have to match their movement. The more that they can get him to have to move, the more he will struggle to sustain his blocks. I have seen inside pressure affect Stafford in a big way.

Detroit Lions

The Nemesis: Calvin Johnson
On Sunday, two of the best receivers in professional football will be on the field when the Lions face the Cowboys. As tough as this matchup will be for the Lions to have to cover Dez Bryant, the Cowboys are going to have their own issues dealing with Calvin Johnson.

Both these receivers are so similar in the way they play, you could put Bryant in a Lions uniform and Johnson in a Cowboys uniform and you would not be able to tell the difference. Johnson is as dynamic as it comes for a receiver. He can run his routes anywhere and at any level to find a way to get open. He can separate with his stride, and, no matter where the ball is thrown, he will find a way to make a catch.

He is a powerful player who plays well in the air. Any opportunity to catch a jump ball, it is his. The Lions can line him up either on the outside or in the slot, and he is productive. The closer he gets to the goal line, the more physical he gets. He likes to use his hands to push and shove to by space, and he will not just run fade routes in the red zone -- you will see him run the slant as well. He’s one of those receivers that just keeps coming after you down-after-down.

The Weapon: Reggie Bush

Bush is a mismatch player in every sense of the word, and he will line up all over the field in order to find the best way to attack the defense. He’s come a long way since his days with the Saints in terms of being a more complete back.

You will see him carry the ball in normal down-and-distance situations with a great deal of effectiveness, and he is not afraid to hammer the ball inside but is better when he can run it off the edge or on a sweep or reverse.

The Lions coaches are creating ways for him to get the ball, because he has more explosive quickness and burst than what the Cowboys faced last week against LeSean McCoy. Where Bush and McCoy are similar is how they are able to catch the ball in space, whether on the screen or the inside “Texas” route.

Bush is one of those players that can score from anywhere on the field at any time, so the Cowboys have to be alert when he is in the game. He’s going to be a handful for Sean Lee and Bruce Carterto have to deal with because of the way he is able to play in space. He’s a very natural football player that has the ability to breakdown a defense in a flash.

Under The Radar: Ziggy Ansah

One of the most difficult players to get an idea of where he was going in the 2013 NFL Draft was BYU defensive end, Ziggy Ansah.

When the Lions selected Ansah with the fifth overall selection, there were those that were surprised of how high he went and others that thought the selection was the right one. Ansah is very raw but you can see the talent on tape.

He is really playing on more natural ability than anything at this point. He is explosive and can quickly get the edge. He is doing a much better job of using pass rush moves as he is working to the quarterback. That has helped him post three sacks this season, and there were times where he was close to getting more. He is a long, rangy player that can play with some surprising power.
Ansah really wants to get up the field as fast as he can, then try and retrace his steps to handle the run. The Lions have some special packages where he lines up as a defensive tackle, while Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley play as defensive ends.

Ansah will line up across from Tyron Smith in this game, and Smith will need to be ready to handle his up field rush. If Smith is going to have success against Ansah, it will be by getting his hands on him quickly.

Top Bottom