Williams: No-names making a name for themselves on the DL

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No-names making a name for themselves on the DL

They might need name tags. George Selvie. Nick Hayden. Jason Hatcher. Kyle Wilber.

The Cowboys' starting defensive linemen Sunday's entered the game with a combined career sack total of 31. They added 2 1/2 sacks against the Eagles, and backup Jarius Wynn, signed just this week, added a half sack.

"Our defensive line, with all due respect, a lot of no-name guys up there," Cowboys defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin said. "That all goes back to Coach [Rod] Marinelli. We talk about it all of the time. But they got good pressure."

Hatcher took the defensive linemen to a Dallas comedy club Thursday night, a get-to-know-you night out on the town.

"A lot of guys just got here, and I just talked to them," We were getting to know each other as men off the field. That carried on to this game. We just played our heart out for each other. I’m proud for each and every one of them tonight, man. Every one of them. It was a special feeling when you can bring guys together and make them play as one.”

The Cowboys had projected Hatcher, Jay Ratliff, DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer to be their starting defensive linemen this season. But Ratliff was released last week without playing a down. Spencer was lost to a knee injury after only 34 plays. Ware missed Sunday's game with a quadriceps injury, the first game in his career he's missed.

The Cowboys more than made do Sunday.

"It'swhat football’s about, you know," Cowboys defensive line coach Rod Marinelli said. "At the end of the day, it’s still a blue-collar game of men who want to go out and work, fight, compete, and opportunities. That’s what I see it as. It’s special."

-- Charean Williams

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys no names come through again
October, 21, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

PHILADELPHIA -- Five of the eight defensive linemen the Dallas Cowboys used against the Philadelphia Eagles joined the team after training camp began. Two joined in September. Two more joined the 53-man roster last week.

Last Thursday Jason Hatcher, the biggest name of the No-Name bunch, organized a trip to a local comedy club to get to know each other a little better.

Name tags were not needed.

“Nah, I know them,” Hatcher said, “but it’s just goes to show you man when you play for each other, you love one another off the field and you spend time with each other , you know on the field it’s going to be something special. Just go out there and work your butt off for each other.”

Hatcher had his sixth sack of the season, tacking on to his career high. George Selvie (signed July 24) had the first multi-sack game of his career (1.5 sacks). Jarius Wynn (signed last Tuesday) split the sack with Selvie. Caesar Rayford (signed Sept. 3) had Matt Barkley by the ankle on Barry Church's interception in the fourth quarter.

“It’s what football’s about, you know,” defensive line coach Rod Marinelli said. “At the end of the day, it’s still a blue-collar game of men who want to go out and work, fight, compete, and opportunities. That’s what I see it as. It’s special.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I really wonder what kind of money Hatcher is going to ask for, he will be 32 next season so I can't imagine many teams will offer him too much. Especially when you see that solid guys like Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett and Alan Branch all got 1 year deals for low money this past offseason.

If we could sign him to something like 3 years, 15 million, I'd be all for that.

Top Bottom