A Sunken Nazi Sub Is Visited Off The Texas Coast

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
In a shocking reminder of how close the Second World War came to America, a German U-boat has been visited by marine archaeologists working off the shores of Texas in the Gulf of Mexico.

Update: I just received a note from the Ocean Exploration Trust who informed me that they did not discover the sub, they're just visiting it. The sub was actually found back in 2001.

That Nazi subs once prowled the Gulf of Mexico may come as a bit of surprise to Americans.

"And there's a very good reason," said shipwreck diver Richie Kohler in a WFAA video. "The United States government didn't want us to know. They didn't want us to know how Germany was taking us to task, how successful these U-boats were."

Indeed, in addition to marauding merchant shipping in the North Atlantic, Nazi naval commanders dispatched 22 U-boats to the Gulf of Mexico, including the Texas coastline. Historians claim that U-boats sank at least 50 American ships in the Gulf — including one in the very mouth of the Mississippi River. The U.S. Navy was only able to sink one U-boat in the Gulf — a sub that was is currently being visited by none other than marine archaeologist Robert Ballard and his Nautilus team. Ballard, as you'll surely remember, discovered the wreck of the Titanic back in 1985.

Sunken Nazi Submarine Found Just Off the Coast of Nantucket
It has been well documented that German submarines came disturbingly close to U.S. shores during…
Read more

"Hitler brought the war to our doorstep shortly after they declared war on us, so this was something that most American people do not realize: How close the war came, and how threatening it was," Ballard said. "They were extremely successful."

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Eesh... scary shit.

jeebs

Brand New Member
Puts that article about our subs around China in perspective.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Subs then had very little weapons delivery capability. The most the could do would be to sink a ship or send a torpedo into a port but the destruction would be minimal.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think you are referring to THE holocaust which is the Jewish genocide by Nazi Germany. The term holocaust however has a historical definition which means destroyed by fire.

jeebs

Brand New Member
I think you are referring to THE holocaust which is the Jewish genocide by Nazi Germany. The term holocaust however has a historical definition which means destroyed by fire.
I knew it meant that, I just assumed it was created in reference to that event.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I knew it meant that, I just assumed it was created in reference to that event.
The "true" holocaust is the reckoning according to the bible. It's the method God uses to purify earth again. In the bible, he promises he won't do it by water again. The next most effective method is fire.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The "true" holocaust is the reckoning according to the bible. It's the method God uses to purify earth again. In the bible, he promises he won't do it by water again. The next most effective method is fire.
You wanta take this to the Smack Down forum, pal?

jeebs

Brand New Member
mid-13c., "sacrifice by fire, burnt offering," from Greek holokauston "a thing wholly burnt," neuter of holokaustos "burned whole," from holos "whole" (see holo-) + kaustos, verbal adjective of kaiein "to burn." Originally a Bible word for "burnt offerings,"

Well, this shit is hilarious; how do you name it this. But, I guess I was wrong.

Top Bottom