boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Five predictions for 2014 draft

Expect Houston to trade No. 1 pick and QB drama to be dominant storyline

Originally Published: May 7, 2014

By John Clayton | ESPN.com

Change is in the air for the NFL draft.

Because of a scheduling conflict at Radio City Music Hall, the NFL moved the draft back two weeks. This move allows the NFL to study the future of the draft. The result could mean mid-May drafts, spreading the event over four days and moving it out of New York City.

I predict the draft will be in Chicago or some other city next year. The NFL will start to put draft sites up for bid and possibly move it from city to city in future years. The Radio City Music Hall conflict has opened the door for change.

Here are five other predictions for the draft:

1. The Houston Texans will trade the first pick in the draft. The Texans switched to a 3-4 defense in 2011 and went from being one of the worst defenses in the league to one of the best. But maintaining the outside linebacker position is dragging down the roster. The franchise is drafting high at outside linebacker too often and neglecting other positions. It let former first-rounder Mario Williams and former second-rounder Connor Barwin walk instead of paying them. They have been replaced by Whitney Mercilus and Brooks Reed, first- and second-round picks.

If the Texans take Jadeveon Clowney, they will have used two first-round and two second-round picks on outside linebacker/defensive end types since 2009. If they can't make a trade, it makes sense to take Clowney if they think he's the best player in the draft. But it makes more sense to trade. At the very least, the Texans could likely get a second-round pick this year and a first-rounder next year from the Atlanta Falcons to drop to the sixth overall pick.

The Texans will start by asking for a second- and third-rounder this year and a first-rounder in 2015 along with some midround choices. If they trade down, they probably could get their quarterback -- Johnny Manziel or Blake Bortles -- along with having two of the top five picks in the second round and a first-rounder next year. The alternative is taking Clowney and possibly giving up draft choices to trade into the first round to get a quarterback. Making the trade down is more logical.

2. Four quarterbacks will go in the first round, but their selections will be dramatic. Manziel will be the first quarterback taken. He is going to either Houston or the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with an outside chance of him going to Cleveland. If the Minnesota Vikings pass on Bortles at No. 8 -- which is likely -- the next three quarterbacks could slide into the 20s and be picked by teams trading from the second round to get them.

Derek Carr of Fresno State said he has heard from four or five teams willing to trade up into the first round to get him. That's understandable. The Browns have a first-round pick at No. 26 and could target him if they draft a different position at No. 4. Houston, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Minnesota and maybe Tennessee are in the hunt for quarterbacks.

The Browns may have to move up from 26 to get Carr. Jacksonville and Minnesota might move into the first to get Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater, which creates interesting scenarios. The playoff teams drafting in the final 12 picks of the first round will be acquiring additional picks in a talent-rich draft to facilitate the weaker teams looking for quarterbacks.

A probable top-10 pick, WR Mike Evans could compel interested teams to trade up.

3. At least two first-round trades will involve wide receivers. The Buffalo Bills and Detroit Lions would love to find a way to land wide receiver Mike Evans, but there is no way he will fall to the ninth and 10th spots. The Buccaneers need a receiver and would have a tough time passing on Evans if he's available at No. 7.

The Lions might be willing to move a couple of spots for Evans, but the Bills might be willing to invest more heavily. It's not out of the question for them to move into the top three or four to get Sammy Watkins. Something will happen up top. Expect the San Francisco 49ers to trade up from No. 30 to get into a spot to get a top receiver. The 49ers have 11 picks, including an extra second and an extra fourth.

4. Four offensive linemen will go in the top 12. The St. Louis Rams will take either Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson with the second pick. Let's say the Rams take Matthews. Either Oakland or Cleveland will get Robinson. If the Falcons can't trade up and don't have a shot at Robinson or Matthews, they will take Taylor Lewan. Next up will be Zack Martin of Notre Dame. If tight end Eric Ebron goes in the top 11, I see Martin going to the Giants at No. 12.

5. Five wide receivers will go in the top 22. Watkins and Evans will likely go in the top seven. Odell Beckham Jr. and Brandin Cooks will go in the mid-teens, possibly to the Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Jets. That could leave Marqise Lee for the Philadelphia Eagles, who have the 22nd pick. But don't forget the 49ers. They know they would have to trade above the Eagles to get one of the top five receivers, and they have the ammunition to make a deal happen.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Sounds like there will be QBs available to us.

And we'll probably pass.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
God help us if we have not done our due diligence on them.
I can hear next years pc already "that was bad luck losing Romo for the year but there was no way we could have foreseen that"

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I can hear next years pc already "that was bad luck losing Romo for the year but there was no way we could have foreseen that"
Goshdarnit, dagnabbit those darn injuries again!

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Goshdarnit, dagnabbit those darn injuries again!
It's just bad luck, if we can just get into the playoffs we have a chance

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
2014 NFL Draft: 10 Bold Predictions

Rob Rang
The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

May 07, 2014 03:35 PM

The smokescreens ahead of the official start of the 2014 NFL Draft are in full "Spy Hunter" mode. Trying to keep up with who wants to trade up, who wants to trade down and which franchise is going to game on Johnny Football can be dizzying.

NFLDraftScout.com analysts Rob Rang and Dane Brugler have been studying this draft class for 12 months and each have 5 Bold Predictions to take to the bank ... just don't bet the house.

ROB RANG

5. Four Safeties in First Round

The NFL once laughed off the spread offense as a fad. Now, as innovative coaches are flooding the field with pass-catching mismatches, defenses are forced to adjust. Put simply, as running backs drop in value, safeties are increasing. That will result in NFLDraftScout.com's top two-rated safeties, Louisville's Calvin Pryor and Alabama's Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, earning top 20 selections. That will push Northern Illinois' Jimmie Ward and Washington State's Deone Bucannon into the top 32, as well.

4. The Rise of Derek Carr

Even with once-in-a-decade talents like Jadeveon Clowney and Greg Robinson likely to be the first picks of the draft, the quarterbacks remain the hot topic of debate. That's not surprising given the nature of the position, but the ironic thing is that the quarterback generating the most buzz in the days prior to the draft is Derek Carr, not Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles or Teddy Bridgewater. Carr has been frequently projected to land with Arizona (No. 20 overall pick), Cincinnati (23) or Cleveland (26), but I'm told he won't make it there.

3. Philly Goes Pac-12 ... again

A year ago, the Eagles relied upon new head coach Chip Kelly's familiarity with the Pac-12 to nab former conferences foes with half of the club's eight selections. Expect the Eagles to continue this strategy in the first round again this year with Pac-12 wideouts Brandin Cooks (Oregon State) and Marqise Lee (Southern Cal) as potential replacements for jettisoned big-play receiver DeSean Jackson, who ironically played his collegiate ball at Cal.

2. 49ers Trade Up

It has been a tumultuous offseason for the 49ers, and I expect the club to seize back momentum with the first round's most aggressive trade up. General manager Trent Baalke has assembled as deep a roster as there is in the NFL and with 11 picks at his disposal he has the ammunition to match the bold move San Francisco made a year ago to nab safety Eric Reid. Brothers Jim and John Harbaugh agreed to a mutually-beneficial swap for veteran wideout Anquan Boldin a year ago. Don't be surprised if the duo works together again, this time with the 49ers moving up 13 spots to complement Boldin (and Michael Crabtree) with LSU's big play pass-catcher and returner Odell Beckham, Jr.

1. Champs Trade Out

While rival San Francisco has a treasure-trove of picks to play with, the Seattle Seahawks enter the draft with only six due to trades for wideout Percy Harvin (third round) and quarterback Terrelle Pryor (seventh). Head coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider have enjoyed extraordinary success in the middle and later rounds and in a draft as deep as this one, it is unlikely the duo is going to sit pat and watch 66 picks go by between their current second (No. 64) and fourth round (132) selections.

The easiest way to recoup that third round pick would be to trade back from No. 32 and there should be plenty of interest. If, as predicted, the Houston Texans pass on a quarterback in the first round, they (and the Jaguars, Browns, Raiders, etc.) will be expected to take one in the second round. The Seahawks will likely be willing to accommodate anyone looking to jump ahead of them. Further, with teams holding a fifth-year option in the contracts for rookies drafted in the first round, the No. 32 overall pick is much more valuable than No. 33.

DANE BRUGLER

5. Johnny Manziel will be a top 5 draft pick.

To who? No one knows. But many around the league believe Manziel will be off the board in the top 10 picks and I'll go one further and say it's the top five. A FOX Sports report says the Cleveland Browns won't draft him at No. 4, but is that because he will already be gone? The Jacksonville Jaguars at No. 3 is a possibility. Or a team not currently in the top five could trade up at No. 2 where the St. Louis Rams currently pick. Manziel is the wildcard of the first round, but I don't think we'll have to wait long on Thursday night to hear his name called.

4. Tom Savage falls out of the top 75 picks

One of the "risers" this draft season has been well-traveled quarterback Tom Savage, who put together a solid senior season at Pittsburgh in 2013. But after the NFL Scouting Combine, his name started to skyrocket up boards as a player who was even mentioned as a possible first rounder. But I think Savage winds up outside the top 75 picks on draft day, going against what most believe at this point. He is well-built with a strong arm and knows what he's doing on the white board, but is also viewed as a long-term project who needs a good amount of work.

3. The Cowboys will trade out of the No. 16 overall spot

The top-two mostly likely targets for Dallas at pick No. 16 are UCLA pass rusher Anthony Barr and Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald. But if both are drafted in the top 15 picks, which I expect they will, then look for a trade down scenario, very similar to last year when the Cowboys traded back for center Travis Frederick. A team like the Browns looking for a quarterback could be the right trade partner, moving back to the mid-20s and selecting a defensive lineman like Boise State's Demarcus Lawrence or Missouri's Kony Ealy.

2. A record 12 wide receivers will be drafted in the first two rounds

It has been mentioned quite a few times just how deep this wide receiver class is and we'll see that on draft weekend with a record 12 wideouts drafted among the top 64 picks, which would be a NFL Draft record. Clemson's Sammy Watkins, Texas A&M's Mike Evans, LSU's Odell Beckham, Oregon State's Brandin Cooks, USC's Marqise Lee and Indiana's Cody Latimer could be first rounders, and these wideouts could be gone in the second round: Vanderbilt's Jordan Matthews, Penn State's Allen Robinson, Fresno State's Davante Adams, South Carolina's Bruce Ellington, Ole Miss' Donte Moncrief, Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin, Clemson's Martavis Bryant, Colorado's Paul Richardson and LSU's Jarvis Landry.

1. Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald will be a top 8 pick

While the edge rushers get most of the attention for their pass rush ability, Donald is that interior disruptor and ideal three-technique. He put together a productive career with 28.5 tackles for loss as a senior and was outstanding throughout the pre-draft process with big-time performances at the Senior Bowl and NFL Scouting Combine. Oakland at No. 5, Tampa Bay at No. 7 and Minnesota at No. 8 are all possible landing spots, but look for him to be drafted in the top eight picks.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You know what I conclude from all this draft predictions?......'.....The results are about as random as pulling for the short straw.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=2]Gazing Into My Crystal Ball: Ten NFL Draft Predictions[/h]By Frank "Dubs" Dobozy @Bozy1313 on May 7 2014, 9:00a

The 2014 NFL finally begins tomorrow evening. There's much uncertainty surrounding the first round of this years draft. Who will be selected Number 1 overall? Who will the Rams select with their two first round picks? Will they trade their picks? It's time to dust off the crystal ball, and put down some predictions!

After months of speculation, smokescreens, and mock drafts, the 2014 NFL Draft finally begins tonight, in "the city that never sleeps". Many have called this draft the deepest one they've ever seen, brimming with talent at many positions. I believe it may be the most unpredictable one in many a year. There'll be lots of drama and intrigue involved with the first 10 picks in the draft. Will the best quarterbacks fall out of the top ten selections? Will there be multiple trades in the first round? Adding to the uncertainty is the Rams' draft team of Les Snead and Jeff Fisher, who always seem to have a couple of surprises in store for the Rams faithful.

Once a year I dust off my crystal ball, and lay down some predictions on what will occur in the NFL Draft. I lucked out last year, as three of my predictions turned out to be accurate: The Rams trading down the Number 22 pick, the Rams' selection of Alec Ogletree in the first round, and the selection of Eric Fisher first overall. Those results marked the first year I'd actually predicted anything correctly! Let's see if I can improve on those results this year!
Ten 2014 NFL Draft Predictions

1. Jadeveon Clowney will be the Number 1 overall selection in the 2014 NFL Draft. Despite fielding calls from teams wanting to trade up - and their need for a quarterback - the Houston Texans select the highest-rated player in the draft.
  2. In each of the past two drafts, the Rams have double-dipped [selected multiple players at the same position]. In 2012, they used this strategy at the WR, RB and CB positions. Last year, they double-dipped at the WR position. In this years draft, the Rams will double-dip at both the safety and offensive tackle positions.
  3. The Rams - under Jeff Fisher and Les Snead - surprised many observers with a few of their selections in the past two drafts. The Rams' selection most likely to surprise us this year? Notre Dame DL Stephon Tuitt in the second round. The Rams have shown interest in Tuitt throughout the off-season. His athleticism, size - 6'6"-306 - and versatility are features the Rams covet in their defensive linemen.
  4. There were seven trades involving first-round picks in the 2013 NFL Draft. The composition and unpredictability of this years first round will result in a brisk trade market, with eight trades completed involving first-round picks.
  5. In the 2013 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys surprised many with the selection of C Travis Frederick in the first round. Who will be this years surprise first round picks? WR Cody Latimer, and OT Ja'Wuan James. Both have seen a meteoric rise in their draft stocks in the last three weeks.
  6. Which player(s) - for months projected as first round selections - will surprisingly fall out of the first round? QB Teddy Bridgewater and DT Louis Nix III.
  7. The Rams have been active traders under Jeff Fisher and Les Snead. In 2012, the Rams traded down three times. Last year, the Rams traded down once, and traded up twice. In this draft, the Rams will trade down once - sending the Number 2 overall pick to Tampa Bay [Number 7] - and package 3 late-round picks, to move up into the 4th/5th round. Tampa Bay will trade QB Mike Glennon on the first night of the draft.
  8. Which positions are locks to be selected by the Rams in the first two rounds? If the Rams stand pat and don't trade down, an offensive tackle will be selected in the first two rounds. If the Rams manage to trade down - and acquire an additional second round pick in the process - add cornerback as a lock as well. Safety and Wide Receiver should come into play in the first two rounds, depending on how the draft unfolds. Nonetheless, if the Rams end up with 4 picks in the first two rounds, they will choose a cornerback and offensive tackle with two of those selections.
  9. How many QB's will be selected in the top ten? The QB's are the most unpredictable position in this draft. The answer could be anywhere from zero to four. I believe two will be selected in the top ten picks: Johnny Manziel and Blake Bortles.
  10. The Rams will not select Johnny Manziel - or any other QB - in the first round, nor will they trade Sam Bradford.

From Gregg Rosenthal - NFL.com - regarding the Rams' alleged interest in Johnny Manziel:
"It doesn't pass the sniff test. If the Rams were really interested in making a franchise-altering decision, they would do everything possible to keep it quiet. They would stand by their public affection for Sam Bradford, go about their business, let the Texans take Jadeveon Clowney and grab the Rams' new franchise quarterback at No. 2. That hasn't happened. This all feels too choreographed, too public."

Who Will The Rams Select In The 2014 NFL Draft?

A couple of weeks ago, I posted my thoughts on who I thought the Rams should select in the draft (link). The accompanying chart presents my predictions of who the Rams will select in all 7 rounds:

Attachments

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Good retort. Hey, I'm curious what a Cards fan thinks of their needs. Get on it!
It's a draft predictions thread. Not a needs thread. But, if you want to start a needs thread, I will find something for you.

Top Bottom