MacMahon: Hatcher last Dallas D-line starter standing

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Hatcher last Dallas D-line starter standing

October, 16, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Nobody anticipated that Jason Hatcher would be the headliner of the Dallas Cowboys’ defensive line.

Many, including the Dallas coaching staff and front office, considered Hatcher to be the biggest question mark among the front four entering training camp. There was a ton of talk about how much the switch to a 4-3 would rejuvenate Jay Ratliff. DeMarcus Ware is one of the premier pass-rushers in NFL history. Anthony Spencer was coming off a career year. There were doubts about whether the 6-foot-6, 299-pound Hatcher, whose salary is a fraction of those guys’, had the frame to make the transition from 3-4 defensive end to 4-3 tackle.

Six weeks later, Hatcher is the last defensive line starter standing. And he’s arguably been the Cowboys’ best defensive player so far this season.

The 31-year-old Hatcher, an eight-year veteran, has already established a new career high with a team-best five sacks. He’s also tied for the team lead with three tackles for losses and ranks behind only Ware with 13 quarterback pressures.

The burden has never been heavier on Hatcher, who is coming off a dominant performance in a win over the Washington Redskins. He’s already been a focus of blocking schemes who haven’t had to worry about Spencer (injured reserve with a knee injury) or Ratliff (PUP list with as he continues the longest recovery from sports hernia surgery in NFL history). Now, Ware is likely to miss a couple of games due to a strained quadriceps.

“He’s a guy that would get a lot of attention any way,” coach Jason Garrett said of Hatcher. “That attention only gets greater. And he just responds to it. ...

“He plays the right way. It’s really important to him. He works very hard. He’s one of those guys that as a coach you can point to and say, watch that guy. He validates all of the things that we’re trying to teach. He has a relentless spirit about him. Great competitive nature, and he’s shown it week in and week out.”

Hatcher has excelled as the 3-technique tackle, a position that had been earmarked for Ratliff. A challenge for the coaching staff now is to figure out ways to create one-on-one matchups for Hatcher while he’s surrounded by unproven young players and journeymen.

Hatcher’s mission is to maintain his Pro Bowl-caliber level of performance despite being the primary focus of opposing blocking schemes -- and to help the no-name guys around him raise their games.

“I’m the leader of this D-line,” Hatcher said. “Now that D-Ware is gone, I’ve got to hold these guys accountable, play the game the right way, make sure they play their butts off and don’t approach the game like backups.”

Hatcher spent much of his career as a backup. Now, despite teammates going down all around him, he’s emerged as a dominant force.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I wouldn't mind seeing Jerruh throw a 3 year contract at this guy.

He's done a pretty good job.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I don't like that he's 31 but given how bare the DL is and how well he's played I don't see any choice but to give him another contract unless he asks for some outrageous deal.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd give him a 3 year extension, maybe 4 but that'd be pushing it. He didn't really become a full-time player until about 2010 or 2011 I think so he doesn't have as much wear and tear on him as most guys his age.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Hatcher got a late start and I'd pretty much given up on him.

Glad he proved me wrong...has definitely played much better the last couple years.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We will give him an extension and then he will fall off the wagon like so many others have. You watch.

But, I think at this point you have to extend him.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Hatcher last Dallas D-line starter standing

October, 16, 2013

IRVING, Texas -- Nobody anticipated that Jason Hatcherwould be the headliner of the Dallas Cowboys’ defensive line.

Many, including the Dallas coaching staff and front office, considered Hatcher to be the biggest question mark among the front four entering training camp. There were doubts about whether the 6-foot-6, 299-pound Hatcher, whose salary is a fraction of those guys’, had the frame to make the transition from 3-4 defensive end to 4-3 tackle.
Yeah, Hatcher was the question mark. Yet a broke down mofo Ratshit was to be the centerpiece. WTF?

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We will give him an extension and then he will fall off the wagon like so many others have. You watch.

But, I think at this point you have to extend him.
Hatcher has always been somewhat of an injury problem as well which has to be a concern when extending him. Still he was one of those older draft picks who probably has a little more tread on his tires then your average 31 year old.

GShock

DCC 4Life
You can't pay him. He'll be 32 next year, and he'll command too much with how he's been performing. I like the player and think he'll thrive in a 4-3, but we've got to let him go.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Tag 'em and trade 'em.
I'd love to see what we could get for him, but the same thing should have been done with Spencer last offseason and we didn't, so I'm not holding my breath.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I am leaning towards they should let Hatcher walk unless they can sign him to a team friendly deal which is unlikely. He has been good but not overwhelmingly good. He has been a leader but yet this defense is one of the worst in franchise history so far. It is nice to have a leader but at the same time I don't think having one is all that valuable. It hasn't gotten us very far.

You can approximate Hatcher's production with a younger guy. Or maybe a cheaper UFA.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I am leaning towards they should let Hatcher walk unless they can sign him to a team friendly deal which is unlikely. He has been good but not overwhelmingly good. He has been a leader but yet this defense is one of the worst in franchise history so far. It is nice to have a leader but at the same time I don't think having one is all that valuable. It hasn't gotten us very far.

You can approximate Hatcher's production with a younger guy. Or maybe a cheaper UFA.
Hatcher is playing at a pro bowl level how has not been overwhelmingly good?

I am not for breaking the bank for him, but his production cannot be replaced with just anybody he currently leads all DT's in sacks and is number 8 overall in sacks. and is tied for 1st in tackles among DT's.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would prefer to just tag Hatcher and draft guys.

No long term for 30-ish dudes anymore, kthxbai.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah that's my thinking tag him.
Don't get me wrong, that is not my number one preference. I don't think Hatcher is good enough for tag money for a DL.

But knowing how we do business, I know this is the direction we will go.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Don't get me wrong, that is not my number one preference. I don't think Hatcher is good enough for tag money for a DL.

But knowing how we do business, I know this is the direction we will go.
We could try the transition tag.

Top Bottom