Watkins: Stephen Jones says Cowboys are better

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Stephen Jones says Cowboys are better

May, 11, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said after the NFL draft that his team is better.

The Cowboys made upgrades to the offensive line, getting Zack Martin in the first round, the defensive line, selecting Demarcus Lawrence in second round, and adding depth to the linebacker corps with fourth-round pick Anthony Hitchens and seventh-rounder Will Smith.

"No question, we are younger. We are better," Jones said. "We will have over 30 players between our draft picks and our free agents. That's one-third of our team drafted or signed over the last three days. We will end up cutting a lot of players when we are through signing everybody."

The younger part is the key. The Cowboys allowed two defensive linemen, DeMarcus Ware and Jason Hatcher, to leave in free agency because of financial reasons and age. Both are age 31 and while the Cowboys re-signed Anthony Spencer, who is 30, there are no guarantees he'll recover from microfracture surgery in time to start the 2014 season.

The Cowboys replaced Hatcher with 27-year-old Henry Melton and then added Lawrence, 22, to replace Ware as the left defensive end.

Along the offensive line, the Cowboys' addition of Martin brings youth to the unit. On Saturday, while talking with reporters, Martin joked he was older, 24, than two current linemen in Travis Frederick and Tyron Smith, both 23.

"We feel like, hey, we need to get younger," Jones said. "We need to give some young guys a chance to show [what they can do]. We got better."

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
As long as Romo stays healthy, I think we're better, too. We have improved on both the offensive and defensive lines.

I wouldn't go so far as to say we're good enough to make noise, tho. We're probably still in the same situation as the last few years. Depending on health and a little luck, we could be anywhere from a 6 win to a 10 win team. Think I'll stay right in the middle at about 8-8.

Carp

DCC 4Life
They can be better. If the influx of DL proves to be competent, that is a big boost. Replacing Ware from last year is not very hard...his injuries limited him and he did not demand double teams. Also, with a better OL, particularly the interior...Fred better after one year, Martin pushing Leary or Berny to the bench...it should allow us to run the ball and control clock better. Holloman should be better, the LBs can be better, and hopefully Wilcox emerges.

I'm optimistic, but I am a homer, so take it with a grain of salt.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm optimistic, but I am a homer, so take it with a grain of salt.
It takes young players to learn and grow with a new defensive system. Old guys are comfortable with what they know, don't learn and adapt, and tend to take plays off. We only have Spencer and Mincey over 30, and they are not being counted on to start but to groom Crawford and Lawrence.

I'm most concerned at LB. Carter is a mental wimp and Lee is his physical counterpart. Durant is a JAG, Holloman is limited, and that's all we have. Pathetic, really.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'm most concerned at LB. Carter is a mental wimp and Lee is his physical counterpart. Durant is a JAG, Holloman is limited, and that's all we have. Pathetic, really.
I think Wilber could start at SLB, he won the job from Durant last year and played all right. If you have Carter and Holloman compete at WLB either Carter could bounce back from his sophomore slump or Holloman could take the next step.

The only real problem IMO is Lee's health. When he goes out the loser of the above competition is a starter.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think people are being a little quick to write off Carter.

Gurode went through similar struggles early in his career, including benchings. He was a guy with a lot of talent, though, and he eventually got it together.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Carter with a bounce-back year either.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I was impressed with Carter when he had a 13 tackle game in the 3-4 and I'm not especially mad at him for having an issue changing defenses when he didn't even have a position coach that was familiar with the defense. Remember when I said keeping LB and DB coaches that didn't know the Defense was a mistake? In my estimation, if he were cut, Rob Ryan would snap him up and have him in NO with the quickness.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I see the PT Barnum cackling has already started, and its infected Stephen too.

This team may be incrementally better simply because of DL depth...but the S situation is still the same as last year, the defense will be depending on a just drafted college DE to generate pressure :lol, and the 2 DL with the ability to have an impact are BOTH coming off knee injuries.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I see the PT Barnum cackling has already started, and its infected Stephen too.

This team may be incrementally better simply because of DL depth...but the S situation is still the same as last year, the defense will be depending on a just drafted college DE to generate pressure :lol, and the 2 DL with the ability to have an impact are BOTH coming off knee injuries.
To be fair, it wouldn't take a lot for the DL to be better than it was last year. Even having lost Ware and Hatcher, we really only lost 6 sacks from Ware. You gotta think that Spencer (if healthy), Lawrence, Melton and Crawford can replace that production, at least in terms of quality snaps, if not outright sack numbers. And then we've added some DLs who can hopefully actually play to the rotation mix as well like Bishop, Bass, Gardner, McClain, etc. The days of the washouts like Drake Nevis, Everette Brown, Corey Irvin and Jarius Wynn getting a heavy workload are hopefully over.

On top of that, you have to feel good about the LB depth if Carter bounces back, if Lee stays healthy, and you've got Durant, Wilber and Holloman all fighting for time.

That being said.... we were the worst defense in team history. An improvement to 22nd in the league doesn't help us get over 8-8.

I'm more excited about the OL's potential at this stage.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Some guys take a while to figure it out.
I don't think he'll make it in Dallas. The WOLB in this system has to be smart and play fast/instinctually. He might make it someplace else as a simple run and hit 3-4 ILB.

Top Bottom