Archer: Cowboys pleased with Gavin Escobar

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys pleased with Gavin Escobar

August, 18, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

GLENDALE, Ariz. – In the first two preseason games the Cowboys mostly used Gavin Escobar as an on-the-line tight end to test his blocking ability.

Escobar had some rocky moments, but in Saturday’s 12-7 loss at Arizona, Escobar, the Cowboys’ second-round pick, lined up on the line, as the H-back, in the backfield and split out wide. He caught all five passes thrown his way for 32 yards and the Cowboys’ only touchdown.

“I thought Bill (Callahan) did a really good job of getting him the ball in the second half of the game, just giving him some opportunities,” coach Jason Garrett said.

Three of Escobar’s catches from Alex Tanney came on the TD drive. He carried a defender on a 10-yard gain, slipped through another for a 4-yard pick up on a third down and then squeezed over the goal line with defenders closing.

“It’s good to see Escobar step in here and have a good night,” owner and general manager Jerry Jones said.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'll say it again, Escobar, Randle, and Beasley will each be among the very bottom in average yardage at their positions.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'll say it again, Escobar, Randle, and Beasley will each be among the very bottom in average yardage at their positions.
Pretty safe statement since all three will see limited playing time.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Pretty safe statement since all three will see limited playing time.
I think he means yards per attempt/carry/reception, of which playing time doesn't directly correlate to.

In fact less playing time often results in inflated averages.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Impressed with a slow moving, uncoordinated looking non blocking TE? Championship!

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think he means yards per attempt/carry/reception, of which playing time doesn't directly correlate to.

In fact less playing time often results in inflated averages.
He probably does mean that but if these guys are in the lineup for any extended period it would probably mean that Dallas had a comfortable lead and they would be going against the opponents first team.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He probably does mean that but if these guys are in the lineup for any extended period it would probably mean that Dallas had a comfortable lead and they would be going against the opponents first team.
If that's true of Escobar, he's a horrible disappointment anyway. One more TE failure in search of the elusive 2TE set.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, you're saying we would only bring our 2nd round pick only when we have a lead?

If so...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So, you're saying we would only bring our 2nd round pick only when we have a lead?

If so...
I believe I said being in the lineup for an "extended" period. Obviously any of them can see the lineup for a play or two at most any time.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I believe I said being in the lineup for an "extended" period. Obviously any of them can see the lineup for a play or two at most any time.
That would be a complete and utter fail (again) of this stupid 12 personnel idea. Do you see us going 3 wide all year? We're not carrying a FB.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That would be a complete and utter fail (again) of this stupid 12 personnel idea. Do you see us going 3 wide all year? We're not carrying a FB.
I see the basic scheme as 3 wide for the year but that really doesn't change the playing times of Randle or Beasley. That is where I got started on this thread commenting on how they may or may not be better than the "bottom average" of player performances this season.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I see the basic scheme as 3 wide for the year but that really doesn't change the playing times of Randle or Beasley. That is where I got started on this thread commenting on how they may or may not be better than the "bottom average" of player performances this season.
Randle may get some time in if Murray is injured.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Randle may get some time in if Murray is injured.
Probably but the way Dunbar has been playing I think he would be tagged first. I am not sure about Tanner's health situation at this time but he would likely split time with Randle behind Dunbar.

asklesko

Whoa An Active DCCer
they are giving him the bobby carpenter treatment, saying good things out lout so jerry will hear and be pleased while groaning inside. if the carpenter debacle is anything to gauge by, we have a few years of escobar denial in front of us.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Not your comment. Just the idea that they are happy with Escobar.
Ayuh. Escobar was not that great, but I guess the bar is set pretty low for our second round pick. The couple of times I noticed his blocking against Arizona he still was not good. Hell I think Rosario had a better game even though I noticed he missed a key block on a screen.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Probably but the way Dunbar has been playing I think he would be tagged first. I am not sure about Tanner's health situation at this time but he would likely split time with Randle behind Dunbar.
I love Dunbar but I look at him like a Darren Sproles type. I don't think I'd feel great giving Dunbar 20-plus carries. So I think if or when Murray goes down they give Murray's carries to Randle or Tanner and Dunbar's role probably more or less stays the same.

Top Bottom