Mendez: Jones says Cowboys have learned from 'disappointing times,'...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jones says Cowboys have learned from 'disappointing times,' and he is inspired to do everything he can to win games

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said the last three years have been “disappointing times,” but that everyone has learned from them.

“We’ve looked at how other teams have gotten there, and the circumstances,” Jones said. “I was just watching part of the Thanksgiving Day game between us and the Redskins. It does do one thing for me, and that is: do everything we can do in the offseason with the idea in mind it’s this year.”

Jones said Tony Romo’s new contract and the franchise tag on Anthony Spencer are part of that plan.

“Certainly, we want to look ahead to the future a little bit, but right now, it’s about now,” Jones said.

He said the last three seasons have put resolve in him.

“I think all it’s done for right now, for right here, is inspire me, on a personal basis, and us to do everything we can possibly do, and to do it as good as we can do it, to start winning some games,” Jones said. “Put those in place, win more games than we did last year, and then maybe some good things will happen to us n the playoffs. And if that should happen, maybe some other good things.”

Carlos Mendez

I hate him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So what exactly did he learn from watching the Redskins Thanksgiving game? Did he learn he needs an OL? A better set of safeties? A new head coach?

Nope.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
“We’ve looked at how other teams have gotten there, and the circumstances,” Jones said.
I'm sure he "looked" at how the successful teams have won Super Bowls, then promptly ignored the method because those teams who are playing in the Super Bowl every year have owners that don't meddle in the area of football operations.

And they have qualified GMs who know what they are doing and who are held accountable for their success or failures as the architect of the team.

So, yeah, I'm sure he "looked" at how other teams got there, but I'm also sure he wants no part of doing it their way.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He hasn't ignored the 12 personnel.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He hasn't ignored the 12 personnel.
That's what I was going to say because it shows how myopic Jones is. He looks at the Patriots and thinks, ooh, two TEs. But he looks right past and completely ignores their REAL reason for success (hiring credible football people and letting them run the football operations).

Genghis Khan

So what exactly did he learn from watching the Redskins Thanksgiving game? Did he learn he needs an OL? A better set of safeties? A new head coach?

Nope.
You don't get it booze. He's learned resolve.

Now get off the J's ass.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's what I was going to say because it shows how myopic Jones is. He looks at the Patriots and thinks, ooh, two TEs. But he looks right past and completely ignores their REAL reason for success (hiring credible football people and letting them run the football operations).
If he looked at the Patriots he'd also see that Belichick is falling apart without Pioli to be his conscious in personnel matters.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am trying to come up with a list of Jerry Themes of The Year...

So I am guessing it is like this...

2013 - "Resolve"
2012 - "Window" or "Glory Hole"
2011 -
2010 - "Continuity"
2009 -
2008 -
2007 -

Need help with the blanks.

1bigfan13

Staff member
If he looked at the Patriots he'd also see that Belichick is falling apart without Pioli to be his conscious in personnel matters.
Jerry balances things out with Garrett. WTF are you complaining about?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry balances things out with Garrett. WTF are you complaining about?
I know you are joking, but it is a little harder to stand up to the boss than it is to a guy on equal footing.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I am trying to come up with a list of Jerry Themes of The Year...

So I am guessing it is like this...

2013 - "Resolve"
2012 - "Window" or "Glory Hole"
2011 -
2010 - "Continuity"
2009 -
2008 -
2007 -

Need help with the blanks.
I'd say 2011 was about "accountability". I seem to remember that being the theme following the debacle of 2010.

Genghis Khan

I know you are joking, but it is a little harder to stand up to the boss than it is to a guy on equal footing.

Right, you can win a power struggle with a legit GM if he's wrong on something or holding the team back (i.e., he can be fired or have power taken away). But when it's the owner, oh well. Not much you can do.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
“When you work for yourself the thing that’s got to change is the mirror. Because you can’t change him out, so you work for yourself, and he’s there. You have to change what you are doing and how you are doing it. So that to me is a product of you [getting] motivated where you want to be or thought you could be.”

Ah shit, he's doing that mirror thing again.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Ah shit, he's doing that mirror thing again.
You actually can change him out if you didn't care more about your ego and personal glory than the success of the team. He'll be 71 this year, can't be too long now, maybe about 10 years, give or take 2.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You actually can change him out if you didn't care more about your ego and personal glory than the success of the team. He'll be 71 this year, can't be too long now, maybe about 10 years, give or take 2.
Then it's Stephen. So what?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas's GM has consistently tried to draft OL and they almost always go bust. After the OL busts of the late 1990's and early 2000's I would have done everything possible to overhaul the OL scouting and coaching. Instead, the Cowboy OL drafts and certainly the coaching might have gotten worse into the late 2000's.

Jury's still out on Callahan, Tryon Smith, and of course Frederick, but they still can't find mid-round guys to save their lives. David Arkin? Oy.

Top Bottom