MLB Chatter Thread

D

Deuce

Byrd's production though now is better than what Beltran's was the year he got dealt though. I just think you will see a team make a dumb trade to get him because they don't want to be left out.
Beltran was also a former MVP who was still clinging to the last bit of his prime if he could stay healthy. You knew what the possibilities were by taking that risk. What Byrd is doing now is as good as you could possibly expect from him and I doubt anyone expects him to continue it all year.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Beltran was still not himself when that trade went down. Byrd is going to be a solid pick up for anyone who trades for him...previous seasons don't mean much in a pennant race...it is what can you do for me now. He'll produce. If not, we'll keep him and sneak back into WC contention.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Beltran was still not himself when that trade went down. Byrd is going to be a solid pick up for anyone who trades for him...previous seasons don't mean much in a pennant race...it is what can you do for me now. He'll produce. If not, we'll keep him and sneak back into WC contention.
They absolutely do because they establish a track record on a player. A lot of the reported talk about Garza from interested teams has been about his track record, and not just his numbers. "This guy has pitched well in a tough AL East", "This guy has proven he can pitch well in the postseason", etc.

I agree that Byrd can help a team and should get moved to a contender but only if the Mets feel it's worth their while. Or do you think they'll move him for whatever they can get simply to get rid of his salary?

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Rangers Close To Garza Deal; One NL Team Still Involved
By Steve Adams [July 19 at 4:11pm CST]

4:11pm: It's "mystery team" time again! A Cubs source tells Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times that a mystery NL team has joined the fray and may intercept Garza (Twitter link). Previous National League clubs that have been connected to Garza include the Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Rockies and Pirates. The Cardinals have been connected to Garza as well, but in a separate tweet, Wittenmyer adds that they are not the unnamed team in the mix.
-----------------------------------------------

:zzz

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Mystery team sighting in the Garza sweepstakes. I don't have to worry because JD won't budge.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Imminent.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Al Yellon ‏@bleedcubbieblue 39s
RT @JimBowdenESPNxm: The Rangers - Cubs...Matt Garza deal will get done and Neil Ramirez will be center piece according to source
------------------------------

That's a serious FAIL if true. Serious fail. Surely some team can do better than Neil Ramirez. If not they should just wait and see if something better comes along.

Rev

Staff member
Feliz has been cleared to throw batting practice and they are even saying a mid august return. That seems a little fast to me.

Rev

Staff member
Al Yellon ‏@bleedcubbieblue 39s
RT @JimBowdenESPNxm: The Rangers - Cubs...Matt Garza deal will get done and Neil Ramirez will be center piece according to source
------------------------------

That's a serious FAIL if true. Serious fail. Surely some team can do better than Neil Ramirez. If not they should just wait and see if something better comes along.
Rameriz has turned it around this year. I don't think its as bad as that for a two month rental. Forget if it was Olney or somebody else had a piece today stating don't be surprised if Garza doesn't bring the return you expect.

Carp

DCC 4Life
They absolutely do because they establish a track record on a player. A lot of the reported talk about Garza from interested teams has been about his track record, and not just his numbers. "This guy has pitched well in a tough AL East", "This guy has proven he can pitch well in the postseason", etc.

I agree that Byrd can help a team and should get moved to a contender but only if the Mets feel it's worth their while. Or do you think they'll move him for whatever they can get simply to get rid of his salary?
For a pitcher, sure, it matters. Not for a hitter...particularly one that has had success in both leagues.

We are paying him very little, so his salary is not a hindrance. I'd rather just keep him that get some crap.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Feliz has been cleared to throw batting practice and they are even saying a mid august return. That seems a little fast to me.
Never should have moved him out of the pen.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Rameriz has turned it around this year. I don't think its as bad as that for a two month rental. Forget if it was Olney or somebody else had a piece today stating don't be surprised if Garza doesn't bring the return you expect.
Feh. I'm not going to be happy if he's the best player they get in return. He's at the ass end of the top 20 prospects in the Rangers system. Looks like he's going to be part of the deal at least though:

Al Yellon ‏@bleedcubbieblue 21s
RT @yoopernick: MKnightShyamalan twist NOW! @bleedcubbieblue ZOMG IT'S HAPPENING?!?!?!?! @JimBowdenESPNxm Neil Ramirez scratched from start

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Why is Matt "douchebeard" Garza so damned important
Because the Rangers really need a good, proven starter and he's best available. Cubs need to get something significant out of him. Reason it is being discussed so much here is because I'm a Cubs fan and there are some serious Rangers fans on the board too.

Rev

Staff member
Never should have moved him out of the pen.
He could have just torn it in relief. I have no problem with the move at all after seeing him start for the first part of last season.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think people undervalue arms like his out of the pen...he was flatout great when used in that role.

Rev

Staff member
Snag in the Garza trade. Somebody didnt pass the physical.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Snag in the Garza trade. Somebody didnt pass the physical.
The prospective trade broke down over the medicals of one player, tweets Bowden. He says that the clubs are "working hard" to re-formulate the deal with a replacement piece. Quite the opposite is true, according to Sullivan, who writes that "right now there is nothing happening" and that "tonight is not the night."

The loss of momentum between the Cubs and Rangers occured after the teams had swapped medical information on the players that were to be involved, writes Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. If medical concerns are to blame, Passan says it was likely not an issue with Garza, since the Rangers are apparently continuing to pursue him.

Rev

Staff member
It was suppose to be Olt, Rameriz, CJ Edwards, and SS Sardinas for Garza and another player. Think it was James Russell.

I don't know anything about Russell but that package makes me want to give up baseball. Hopefully it stays dead.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Sardinas too? I will give you Marlon Byrd straight up for him.

Top Bottom