Explosions rock Boston Marathon; several injured

Carp

DCC 4Life
Explosions rock Boston Marathon; several injured

Boston (CNN) -- At least two explosions rocked the finish line at the Boston Marathon on Monday afternoon, injuring at least a half-dozen people, a CNN producer at the scene said.

The blasts occurred a few seconds apart on opposite sides of the street, CNN Producer Matt Frucci reported. The first left "a big plume of smoke" hovering over the area, around Boston's Copley Square; the second occurred perhaps 10 seconds later, he said.

The explosions occurred about 2:45 p.m., about an hour after the first of the race's nearly 27,000 runners had crossed the finish line, Frucci said. The race was halted after the explosions as was subway service into the area.

Paramedics were treating several victims at the scene, and police ordered onlookers to back away from the area. Troops from the Massachusetts National Guard were assisting police as well.

Onlooker Josh Matthews said he heard the blast, then saw police running toward the scene.

"We just heard a lot of sirens, and people were kind of frantic, and it was a bad situation, so we got out of there," he said.

A spokeswoman for Massachusetts General Hospital said four patients were being treated there.

Carp

DCC 4Life
@BryanFoleyTV 23m Overheard officer telling bystander that 3 more devices found. #wbz #Marathon

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
No place is safe anymore thanks to sick cowards like the ones who are behind this act.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
You can't even run a marathon without someone trying to kill you.

Let that sink in for a second.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
How awful. Not sure how the visits go tomorrow on the Hill or even if they should happen at all for me. Scary shit, man.

My wife is flipping out right now.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
They'll do what they need to do in Boston, but you don't shut down Washington DC over this. Not being flippant about it, but day to day life goes on for those not affected.

Cotton

Staff member
No offense, but that's not going to make my wife feel better.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I was addressing whether or not the visits should go on, which IMO they should.

Carp

DCC 4Life
There were some reports about a Saudi national, but that was from the NY Post.

Cotton

Staff member
I was addressing whether or not the visits should go on, which IMO they should.
Yeah, I mean I agree with that. It's just a bit unnerving.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It's sad that anyone lost their life today, but it could've been worse.

The blast wasn't very big according to reports. Given the location of the bomb, there could have been lots of lives lost if that blast was half the power of the ones in London and Madrid from years ago.

townsend

Banned
It's sad that anyone lost their life today, but it could've been worse.

The blast wasn't very big according to reports. Given the location of the bomb, there could have been lots of lives lost if that blast was half the power of the ones in London and Madrid from years ago.
Luckily, most terrorists are pretty dumb and incompetent.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Luckily, most terrorists are pretty dumb and incompetent.
Well, the one thing a lot of them are capable of is creating bombs with significant power.

The one's who can't usually aren't well connected like the idiot who burned his underwear on the plane in an attempt to blow it up.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Really though, if someone wants to do something like this at a public event, it would be hard to stop. This is a 26 mile race...how you clear and keep a perimeter for something like that is a logistical nightmare.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Really though, if someone wants to do something like this at a public event, it would be hard to stop. This is a 26 mile race...how you clear and keep a perimeter for something like that is a logistical nightmare.
Definitely. On the other hand I could see a push for a London-like Big Brother CCTV system to be put in place in Boston, NY, and other big East Coast cities after this.

Top Bottom