Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Parcells Enjoyed Time In Dallas; Still Admires Jones’ Passion

Posted 18 hours ago
Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas
– Now down to just a handful of days before the start of training camp, the questions, projections and predictions of the Cowboys’ 2013 season are starting to surface even more.

This is the time of year for that. Forecasting and finger-pointing go hand and hand. And for the Cowboys, the person that gets most of the criticism, if not the vast majority, is owner/general manager Jerry Jones.

The Cowboys have won just one playoff game since 1996 – that stat gets pointed out in just about every setting possible – and the man behind it all is Jones.

Publicly, he’s the man who fired Tom Landry. He’s the one who couldn’t get along with Jimmy Johnson and he’s the one making all the decisions – especially the wrong ones – that have prevented the Cowboys from climbing that proverbial mountain.

But according to one of the more well recognized coaches that ever worked for him, there is a big misperception to how things operate at Valley Ranch.

Bill Parcells, who is about to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame next month, coached in Dallas four years and said his time with the Cowboys was “enjoyable.” He also spoke of that misperception between Jerry and his head coaches.

“Oh yeah, definitely. I think it’s distorted,” Parcells said. “I think there’s a definite misperception. I just think everyone thinks things are a certain way. I didn’t see it to be that way. I think Jerry is a good businessmen and a good listener. What you have to do is make sense to him. You’ve got to make sense to him. If he thinks you’re making sense, he’ll alter his opinion. I enjoyed him. I like him. I like him a lot.”

Parcells coached the Cowboys from 2003-06, putting them in the playoffs twice with three winning records. Although he decided to stop coaching the team in 2006, Parcells said he remains friends with the Cowboys’ owner to this day.

“I liked my experience there,” Parcells said. “It didn’t turn out perfect from a record-standpoint. I understand all of that. But I learned a lot and I enjoyed working there.
“Jerry and I are pretty good friends. I don’t know whether or not people know that. We talk a little bit. I wouldn’t say frequently. We talk a little bit. We talked recently. It’s good. And I’m close with Stephen [Jones], too. I enjoyed working there with the Joneses. They were supportive and tried to help.”

One of things Jerry gets criticized for the most is the way he apparently dabbles into the Cowboys’ every-day business, although as the general manager, it is certainly within his job description. Jerry is a hands-on owner and GM but according to Parcells, that passion is what drew him to the Cowboys job in the first place.

“We had some mutual friends. I was very close with Al Davis and I know Jerry was, too,” Parcells recalled. “I had a little background information from Al – not about working for the Cowboys, just about what they were trying to do. I knew he had a lot of passion for his work and his job and his organization. I could name a few organizations I don’t feel that about. The owner is just blasé about ‘if we win we win, good; if we don’t, that’s all right.’

“But Jerry isn’t like that. You want to be somewhere where it’s important to the people and certainly it’s a high-profile franchise without question. I just felt like those are the kinds of things I look forward to. I was trying to do something at a place like that. I like them. I think they’re a good group. I think they’re passionate. I think they’re trying to be successful in the business. Hey, that’s all a coach can ask for.”

If there is anyone who might be able to compare coaching situations, it would be Parcells, who led four different teams: the Giants, Patriots, Jets and Cowboys. Parcells also worked in the front office of the Dolphins.

But although the NFL doesn’t make players or coaches distinguish what team they are associated with for the Hall of Fame the way baseball does, Parcells makes it clear.
“I’m going in as a Giant,” Parcells said. “That was a place I spent 10 full years, two as an assistant and eight as a head coach. I certainly didn’t spend more than four years anywhere else. I think, identification-wise, I’m more with the Giants than any other franchise, just because of longevity.”

Parcells also says he was ahead of the time in terms of NFL coaches today. He sees coaches and players bouncing around from team to team much more than they did in the past.

“I was a product of what you see around the league now,” Parcells said. “When I first came into the league, the league wasn’t as transient in nature – players or coaches. Coaches stayed at one place and players stayed in one place. But with free agency and different ownership, the dynamic of the industry has changed a little bit. It’s become more transient in nature. You see a guy like Mike Shanahan … he’s a head coach in three different places. You see more of that than what you used to. It’s just the nature of the business. It’s a little more volatile and a little more transient. Change is a little more on the forefront than it was 30 years ago.”

Parcells showed he was never one to avoid change. He actually embraced it. And while he’s gone through many stops along the way, his time in Dallas gives him fond memories.
Although the Cowboys might have several problems facing them as they head into this season, there are many pundits who believe the GM might be the biggest issue.
There is one soon-to-be-inducted Hall of Fame coach who would disagree.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Glad Parcells likes Jerry and all, but I'd bet the way Jerry treated an all timer is quite a bit different than the way he treats a nub like Garrett or a toad like Fat Wade.

Cotton

Staff member
Bill Parcells: Cowboys lucky to have Jerry Jones

July, 17, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – As Jerry Jones embarks on his 25th training camp this summer as owner and general manager of the Dallas Cowboys, there is one former coach that believes Jones takes too much grief.

“I have a high regard for him,” Bill Parcells said on a conference call for his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. “He has a tremendous amount of passion for the franchise and I think the people are lucky to have him, lucky to have him as an owner because they’re not all the same. I can tell you that. Having a guy like that and what he tries to do on a yearly basis there is great.”

Parcells was the Cowboys coach from 2003-06 and compiled a 34-30 record in addition to two first-round playoff losses. When Jones hired Parcells the Cowboys were coming off three straight 5-11 seasons, were facing a vote for a new stadium and many assumed the dabbling owner and volatile coach would butt heads often.

The divorce never happened.

“He’s a straight forward honest guy,” Parcells said. “He really is. That’s all I look for. He was very supportive of me as a coach. Now were there things going on that occasionally I didn’t like? Yeah, there were but that didn’t inhibit me from going to him, talking things out. He’s really great about that.”

Parcells and Jones talk frequently and will be able to get together this summer in Canton, Ohio, with the Cowboys playing Miami in the Hall of Fame Game.

In a USA Today article earlier this summer, Parcells expressed regret about leaving New England following its Super Bowl season in 1996 because of a falling out with owner Robert Kraft.

His final game as a coach with the Cowboys was an excruciating 21-20 loss at Seattle in the 2006 wild card round when Tony Romo dropped a snap on a short field goal attempt. Parcells elected to retire as a coach despite finally landing a quarterback and having a roster filled with enough talent to go 13-3 under his replacement, Wade Phillips, in 2007.

He does not look back at his decision to leave Dallas with similar regret.

“I was at a different age,” said Parcells, who was 65 when he left the Cowboys. “To me, I’m trying to win the championship and when you lose like we lost that game and I’m down the road coaching wise and age wise and quite frankly energy wise at that time. I think about all the things that you’ve got to do just to get back to where you were at that moment and sometimes it’s a little bit overwhelming. I just decided, you know what that’s enough and I’m getting off the field and this time I stayed off the field. I still like football I still watch it and with interest and all those things.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sure. There was no ugly breakup because it was mutual.

Parcells got his fat checks but hated Dallas itself. Jerry got his stadium but was tired of walking on eggshells.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Everyone loves Jerry's passion. Not once has anyone expressed high regard for his abilities as a talent evaluator and decision maker.

I wonder why. It is like it is the best and frankly only good thing they can say about him.

Cotton

Staff member
Everyone loves Jerry's passion. Not once has anyone expressed high regard for his abilities as a talent evaluator and decision maker.

I wonder why. It is like it is the best and frankly only good thing they can say about him.
I think you answered your question right here. When asked about Jerry they can either say "well, he is really passionate" or they can say the bad things about Jerry. Even at his age, Parcells isn't willing to burn that bridge.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well it was a rhetorical question.

Cotton

Staff member
Well, GFY then.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It was really hard to not feel good seeing Parcells on the sideline. He was not as good of a personnel man as I thought he would be, but just seeing his fat ass on the sideline yelling at people and carrying on gave me a warm feeling.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Glad Parcells likes Jerry and all, but I'd bet the way Jerry treated an all timer is quite a bit different than the way he treats a nub like Garrett or a toad like Fat Wade.
Exactly.

Does anyone actually think Jerry would have even thought to have tried this with Parcells?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It was really hard to not feel good seeing Parcells on the sideline. He was not as good of a personnel man as I thought he would be, but just seeing his fat ass on the sideline yelling at people and carrying on gave me a warm feeling.

Yep. It's that level of trust that just isn't there with our coaches since Parcells.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yep. It's that level of trust that just isn't there with our coaches since Parcells.
Yep. I knew he would always make the right decision during the game...maybe not the right deicision, but he'd quickly make up his mind. Garrett needs to compute and process before doing anything.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Parcells ain't worth a shit, but I love him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Broaddus: Jerry Jones And Parcells Helped Each Other

Posted 1 hour ago

Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout

IRVING, Texas -- If you haven't had the opportunity to read Nick Eatman's interview with Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells on DallasCowboys.com, you need to find time to do so.

The piece was well written and points out the relationship that Parcells had with Jerry and Stephen Jones during his time as the head coach of the Cowboys. I thought his answers were honest and truthful but more importantly, accurate about his feelings toward the Joneses.

Bill Parcells was not an easy man to work for, but neither was Tom Coughlin, and I respected what they accomplished in their years in the NFL. Parcells was unique because he always had a plan in mind.

If you remember those teams under Dave Campo, we had no plan nor did we have any direction. During his seasons in Dallas, Parcells gave us both. Sure there were times he was stubborn and his ego got in the way, but it was honestly for the betterment of the team.

I have always said that one of Jerry Jones’ greatest traits was his ability to listen, but you can also say that it's one of his greatest faults. Parcells had Jones' ear, but in turn, Parcells was the same with Jones. What Parcells did better than anyone I had ever worked with is that he understood how to play the game. Parcells was a master at getting what he wanted but he also knew that getting what he wanted also came with a price.

In my time with both of these gentlemen, it was always interesting to see that dynamic at work. There was a huge amount of give and take between these two, and both of them went to work each day with that understanding.

If there was a buffer between Parcells and Jerry Jones, it was Stephen Jones. I have always called Stephen the voice of reason, who is a clear thinker and always has the big picture in mind. Parcells showed a great deal of respect for Stephen, and, when he became frustrated with Jerry, would knock on Stephen's door and voice his views.

Stephen had a way of calming Parcells down and working through the issues with him. Stephen was also able to take Parcells' ideas to Jerry and explain them in a way that would help him understand where he was coming from. Stephen was outstanding for both parties and the reason why many things were accomplished between Bill and Jerry.

Parcells was absolutely correct in his assessment of Jones as an owner. He is willing to do everything in his power to give the head coach the opportunity to win. In my time with them both, it was rare that Parcells didn't get the players he wanted.

Huge free agency dollars were spent on guys like Marco Rivera, Anthony Henry, Jason Ferguson -- all Parcells players. Money was spent on Ryan Young, who was broken down but Parcells wanted to sign.

Terry Glenn, Ritchie Anderson, Drew Bledsoe and Vinny Testaverde were all players brought in by Parcells. I remember the previous year in 2004, during free agency, when Parcells didn't want to sign anyone because there was no value there to be signed, although Jones was willing to spend the money. We were coming off a playoff season but Parcells wanted to stand pat, and Jones granted the wishes of his coach.

In looking back during those years Parcells was here, Jerry Jones made the right decision in hiring a big-time coach but more so, he hired a man who brought us creditability.

Jerry Jones helped Bill Parcells and Parcells did the same for Jones. It wasn't always easy but it was truly necessary at the time. There were so many that believed this partnership would have never worked but to both men's credit, it did. It’s nice to see that the respect still remains throughout the years.

Cotton

Staff member
JULY 17, 2013

Bill Parcells says Cowboys are "lucky" to have Jerry Jones as owner

In his 25 years as Dallas Cowboys owner, Jerry Jones has hired seven head coaches. One becomes a Hall of Famer next month.
Bill Parcells spent four years with the Cowboys and still speaks fondly of Jones despite the differences they had, among them the signing of Terrell Owens.

“He’s a straightforward, honest guy,” Parcells said of Jones during a conference call about his induction into Canton. “He really is. That’s all I look for. He was very supportive of me as a coach. Now were there things going on that occasionally I didn’t like? Yeah, there were, but that didn’t inhibit me from going to him, talking things out. He’s really great about that.”

The Cowboys have won three Super Bowls since Jones took over ownership in 1989, but they are 140-141, including a 2-7 postseason record, since their last championship season of 1995. The Cowboys were 34-30 with Parcells as their coach from 2003-06 with two first-round playoff losses.

But Parcells’ tenure helped usher in Cowboys Stadium as Arlington voters approved a tax increase in 2004 to pay the city’s $325 million share of the billion-dollar project. The stadium opened in 2009 to rave reviews.

Parcells defends Jones, citing the owner’s passion for winning.

“I have a high regard for him,” Parcells said. “He has a tremendous amount of passion for the franchise, and I think the people are lucky to have him, lucky to have him as an owner, because [owners are] not all the same. I can tell you that. Having a guy like that and what he tries to do on a yearly basis there is great.”

Parcells, 71, was 65 when he resigned as Cowboys coach after a heartbreaking loss to the Seahawks in 2006 when Tony Romo’s botched hold denied Martin Gramatica a chance for a 19-yard, go-ahead field goal with 1:14 remaining. The Cowboys went 13-3 the next season under Wade Phillips but were upset by the Giants in a divisional playoff game.

Parcells, though, doesn’t look back with any regret on leaving when he did. He never returned to the sideline, though he was executive vice president of football operations for the Dolphins from 2008-10.

“I was at a different age,” Parcells said of leaving the Cowboys. “To me, I’m trying to win the championship, and when you lose like we lost that game, and I’m down the road coaching-wise and age-wise and quite frankly energy-wise at that time, I think about all the things that you’ve got to do just to get back to where you were at that moment, and sometimes it’s a little bit overwhelming. I just decided, you know what, that’s enough, and I’m getting off the field, and this time I stayed off the field. I still like football I still watch it and with interest and all those things.”

-- Charean Williams

Carp

DCC 4Life
Pretty much in the face of all the Jerry haters. w00t

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Pretty much in the face of all the Jerry haters. w00t
Had he said, "you know, he does a really really good job as a GM, okay?" that would be an IYF moment.

All this does is parrot what everyone says about him.

He's like really passionate and stuff...he wants to win!

So fricking what.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I have no doubt Jerry is probably a pretty swell dude and he treats his employees like gold. So I have no doubt Parcells liked him a lot, and yes, he would definitely spend anything.

But Parcells can't see the forest for the trees there a little. His perspective is "I would talk, Jerry would (generally, though not on some very important issues) listen, what's the problem?" But not everyone has the stroke that Parcells has, and in that case, ugly GM defect rears its ugly head.

Top Bottom