Orsborn: Fact or fiction - Jones says ‘we like where we are at safety.’

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Fact or fiction: Jones says ‘we like where we are at safety.’
Posted on February 24, 2014 | BY TOM ORSBORN

INDIANAPOLIS – Cowboys owner Jerry Jones left a few of us scratching our heads when he told us on his bus Sunday that “we like where we are at safety.”

Granted, Barry Church is solid, but the play of rookies J.J. Wilcox and Jeff Heath underwhelmed least last season. Granted, Wilcox played only one college season at the position and Heath was undrafted, but neither impressed in their stints as starters for a horrendously bad defense.

Then there’s injury-prone Matt Johnson, who was placed on injured reserve last August and has yet to play in a regular-season game since he was drafted in the fourth round in April 2012.

So perhaps when Jones said he likes the safeties he was really saying he’s willing to be patient with Wilcox and Heath. Or maybe he was just putting up a smoke screen to hide the club’s intentions of targeting either Louisville’s Calvin Pryor or Alabama’s Ha Ha Clinton-Dix in the first round with the 16th overall pick.

Here’s what the NFL Network’s Mike Mayock had to say about both players in his post-combine news conference Sunday:

“Calvin Pryor, if I had a list of my 10 favorite players just because of watching them on tape, Calvin Pryor is one of them,” Mayock said. “He’s like a bigger Bob Sanders (the former Indianapolis Colts stalwart). I think he’s better in the box. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is better back off. He has more range and ball skills back there.”

In his most recent mock draft, ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. had the Cowboys selecting Clinton-Dix. And let’s not forget that Cowboys coach Jason Garrett has a deep respect for Alabama coach Nick Saban, who, Clinton-Dix, says prepared him well for the pros.

“Playing for coach Saban’s defense, we did a lot of things,” he said. “We played nickel, dime, Cover 2…We played a lot of different defenses.”

It’s still way too early to pinpoint the Cowboys draft plan, but if I had to guess, I’d say they’d be pretty happy if either Pryor or Clinton-Dix was still on the board when they are on the clock May 8.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Our safeties suck balls and have for years now, so only this buffoon would like where we are.

As a matter of fact, has this team EVER said that any position on the team, no matter how bad, was in need of improvement?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Our safeties suck balls and have for years now, so only this buffoon would like where we are.
If he had come out and said he didn't like where we are at safety, you'd say he was an idiot for letting people know we want to improve there.

Basically, WGAS what he says about anything? Jerry is a bullshitter. Loves to hear himself talk. I know this, you know this, everyone knows this. So why get upset about anything he says?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If he had come out and said he didn't like where we are at safety, you'd say he was an idiot for letting people know we want to improve there.

Basically, WGAS what he says about anything? Jerry is a bullshitter. Loves to hear himself talk. I know this, you know this, everyone knows this. So why get upset about anything he says?
Yep. Get over Jones. Just take him for what he is and look at the other aspects of the team.

Top Bottom