NBA Chatter Thread

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
For the record, Jrue Holiday was the only player in the NBA last season to average at least 17.0 points and 8.0 assists. And he likely hasn't reached his ceiling yet. He's not a superstar, but let's not undersell him.

The sixers deal is undoubtedly risky.

D

Deuce

Uh, Luol Deng is basically a career 17 ppg player. And a much better defender. They are very equivalent in terms of quality at their respective positions.
Good defender and solid scorer, but he offers little else. Holiday getting 8 apg with very little else around him while also handling a scoring load is impressive.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
For the record, Jrue Holiday was the only player in the NBA last season to average at least 17.0 points and 8.0 assists. And he likely hasn't reached his ceiling yet. He's not a superstar, but let's not undersell him.

The sixers deal is undoubtedly risky.
I'm not underselling him.

Maybe you guys are underselling Luol Deng... a 2 time all star.

They are both high end #3 guys, but neither is Superstar #1 or Star Sidekick #2 material on a championship team.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I now hope the Sixers hire Curry as HC. That would probably help them in the Wiggins sweepstakes.

D

Deuce

I now hope the Sixers hire Curry as HC. That would probably help them in the Wiggins sweepstakes.
Nothing can help you in the Wiggins sweepstakes except for Adam Silver pulling a David Stern special. Boston, Orlando and Charlotte are all horrible.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It's funny how butt hurt so many people are over Howard choosing Houston over the Lakers.

Both Shaq and Phil Jackson took shots at the city and/or organization, which I don't really understand.

Are they that shocked that someone would choose another team over the Lakers? I know Dwight has a history for being a drama queen, and theory that he didn't want the pressure that comes with playing for that franchise could be true, but what does that have to do with the city and the Rockets? And did they ever stop to consider that the Rockets actually are in a much better position right now than the Lakers are?

People in Lakerland need to realize that they have an old ass team that is declining. Kobe doesn't have much time left and he's already going to miss most of this upcoming season with an achilles injury. Steve Nash.....seriously? Playing with this guy right now is supposed to be a selling point? And why isn't the fact that players don't seem all that interested in playing with Kobe taken into more consideration?

Kobe is one of the least liked superstars by his peers that I've ever seen. Many of his teammates don't even like him. I'm surprised that this isn't brought up more often.

The Rockets have a star in the making in Harden who hasn't even hit his prime yet and a solid surrounding cast whose arrow is pointed up. That is the exact opposite of what they have in L.A. right now.

So while maybe all of the other stuff played a part in Howard choosing the Rockets over the Lakers, people need to remember that it also made a lot of basketball sense for him to make that move as well.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Nothing can help you in the Wiggins sweepstakes except for Adam Silver pulling a David Stern special. Boston, Orlando and Charlotte are all horrible.
I think we have a real shot though. We certainly will be in the mix for the worst record.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
How about the Celtics new coach?

D

Deuce

How about the Celtics new coach?
Very happy. Initially I was a little stunned and unsure about a college coach, but I like the long deal they gave him so he may get a legit shot as seeing a rebuild all the way through. Now we just have to get him some talent.

Kbrown

Not So New Member

Didn't get a chance to drop this when the Rockets got Dwight.

D

Deuce

Didn't get a chance to drop this when the Rockets got Dwight.
I like it, but ill also be happy to drop this on Rockets fans when they're going through the "will Dwight opt in" nonsense the Magic went through in 3 years.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Celtics hiring Stevens definitely has to be part of the tank, although they obviously have to trade Rondo to get the full effect.

And I don't really see Houston making it out of the West unless one of the Thunder's best players gets hurt again. I know for a fact that this years Spurs team is better too but I have no idea what kind of Spurs team we'll see next year.

I'd probably take this years Grizzlies over them too but losing their coach will hurt and I expect them to drop back a bit.

Right now I think OKC is the clear number 1 in the West, then you have the Rockets/Clippers a clear tier below them and then the Spurs who could potentially be the best team in the West but are a wild card because of their age.

If Rivers can get Griffin/Jordan to play with actual toughness instead of just wanting to throw down CP3 lobs and play grab ass all game I think the Clippers would be the 2nd best team in the conference but that's a big question mark.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
:lol

This is appropriate, especially for the Laker crowd.
I am not the most die hard basketball fan, but I am excited about this move.

And the butthurt from the national media and Lakers' associates has been amazing. One ESPN writer actually brought up the old bullshit about the Rockets' back-to-back championships being tarnished by MJ's absence (nevermind that everyone was itching to coronate Ewing at the time, and MJ was in the playoffs for the second one).

I love it, and I hope the Lakers claw their way into the first round and get their teeth kicked in by Harden and Howard.

As an aside, luck played a big role (the Pau deal getting negated, etc.) but Daryl Morey is a badass. At this point last year, Houston's MVP was Kevin Martin. Think about that.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Celtics hiring Stevens definitely has to be part of the tank, although they obviously have to trade Rondo to get the full effect.

And I don't really see Houston making it out of the West unless one of the Thunder's best players gets hurt again. I know for a fact that this years Spurs team is better too but I have no idea what kind of Spurs team we'll see next year.

I'd probably take this years Grizzlies over them too but losing their coach will hurt and I expect them to drop back a bit.

Right now I think OKC is the clear number 1 in the West, then you have the Rockets/Clippers a clear tier below them and then the Spurs who could potentially be the best team in the West but are a wild card because of their age.

If Rivers can get Griffin/Jordan to play with actual toughness instead of just wanting to throw down CP3 lobs and play grab ass all game I think the Clippers would be the 2nd best team in the conference but that's a big question mark.
I definitely think they can win the west this year. OKC still does not have a legit SG and I want to see how Westbrook comes back from his injury.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I am not the most die hard basketball fan, but I am excited about this move.

And the butthurt from the national media and Lakers' associates has been amazing. One ESPN writer actually brought up the old bullshit about the Rockets' back-to-back championships being tarnished by MJ's absence (nevermind that everyone was itching to coronate Ewing at the time, and MJ was in the playoffs for the second one).

I love it, and I hope the Lakers claw their way into the first round and get their teeth kicked in by Harden and Howard.

As an aside, luck played a big role (the Pau deal getting negated, etc.) but Daryl Morey is a badass. At this point last year, Houston's MVP was Kevin Martin. Think about that.
I wish them the best.

The Mavs really need to give some consideration to trading Dirk and rebuilding this thing. So while they are down, it would be nice to see the Rockets make a run at the thing.

Again, the way so many people are so insulted by him leaving the Lakers to come here is funny. I don't get why people feel the need to insult the town or the franchise. From a basketball perspective, Houston was by far and away the best situation. Golden State also would've given him a really nice team as well, but they get into things too late.

As for Daryl Morey, the guy is a great GM. The only reason the Rockets were down for so long was because they couldn't bring in any big FA's, but it wasn't due to a lack of effort on his part. Most of the big names already had their minds made up as to where they were going, so it wasn't like he was striking out. He tried to get Pau as you mentioned, but the NBA nixed that. But his persistence and patience paid off and he got his big name to go with another star.

I hope they make a deep run so all of the so-called experts are forced to eat crow.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Another thing about Morey.....I don't think he's done making moves.

And while I know they want to keep Asik, I think they need to give some serious thought to trading him if a good offer comes through.

One of the things being thrown out there was Asik for Bosh. Houston wanted Bosh before and Miami needs a real physical presence in the paint. Bosh would get to stretch the floor in Houston and wouldn't be needed near the post as much as he is in Miami since they have Howard, so his lack of a big man type game wouldn't be as big of a deal for Houston as it is for Miami.

What if someone is willing to throw in a solid PG or a solid PF? I think the Rockets should seriously think about trading him if they can strengthen one of those two positions.

Top Bottom