MacMahon: Jay Ratliff to miss at least 6 weeks

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jay Ratliff to miss at least 6 weeks

Updated: August 27, 2013, 4:35 PM ET
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys placed defensive tackle Jay Ratliff on the reserve/physically unable to perform list, meaning he will miss at least the first six games of the season.

Ratliff, a four-time Pro Bowl player who was limited to six games last season by injuries, has not fully recovered from sports hernia surgery he underwent in December. He also strained his hamstring during the Cowboys' conditioning test at the beginning of training camp.

Ratliff can be activated on Oct. 14 at the earliest, but the Cowboys have a three-week window to evaluate him in practice before making a decision on his status. Ratliff can remain on the reserve/PUP list for up to 12 weeks. If he's not activated by that point, he's ineligible to play the remainder of the season.

The Cowboys had hoped that the shift to a 4-3 defense would rejuvenate the career of Ratliff, whose sack total has declined in five consecutive seasons, bottoming out at zero last year.

"I believe in Jay," Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said earlier Tuesday, expressing confidence that Ratliff would contribute this season. "I think he's a competitor. I think, you know, there's some things that can be frustrating when you have injuries. … Those things happen. I'm convinced that we've got a program now -- he's had a few setbacks -- that hopefully will put him on the road where he can play for us at some point this season."

Ratliff did not rehab at the Cowboys' Valley Ranch facility this offseason. Jones was noncommittal about whether that might have been a factor in Ratliff's slow recovery.

Cowboys linebacker Alex Albright, who rehabbed at Valley Ranch, underwent an operation to repair a sports hernia and was cleared for training camp. Former Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman missed five games after he had surgery to repair a sports hernia in 2008.

------------

Unbelieveable.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
:lol

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Everything else aside, I have trouble believing in players that don't rehab at team facilities.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Also, Stephen says hey, injuries happen. But it's just funny how they seem to happen more often to some players than others.

But even still, it's only worth waiting out constantly injured players if they are actually productive when they do play. That hasn't described Ratliff in years.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Also, Stephen says hey, injuries happen. But it's just funny how they seem to happen more often to some players than others.

But even still, it's only worth waiting out constantly injured players if they are actually productive when they do play. That hasn't described Ratliff in years.
Exactly.

He's been a non-productive player for 3 years straight, and that decline began before he became the PUP king.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Just cut him now.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Just cut him now.

That is what I would do. They're allowing this prick to hold them hostage and he brings absolutely nothing to the table. Cut your fucking losses and send a message to the rest of the team.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Everything else aside, I have trouble believing in players that don't rehab at team facilities.
Exactly. Unless they are of the ilk of Jason Witten or Peyton Manning then I'd give them some leeway.

A known slacker such as Ratliff should have never been allowed to rehab on his own.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
That is what I would do. They're allowing this prick to hold them hostage and he brings absolutely nothing to the table. Cut your fucking losses and send a message to the rest of the team.
I get the frustration. But cutting him this season compounds the error we made in extending him. The jump in dead money would be catastrophic. Cut him next year, and the dead money gets more tolerable.

I'd say let this play out a bit. Bring in some additional help over the waiver wire, and then see what he brings to the table in 6 weeks. Maybe he sucks and we IR him at that point-- or maybe he gets well and gives us a boost down the stretch.

Either way-- cutting him immediately does absolutely nothing productive except make things personal.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
translation: we can't do better than you, so take all the time you need.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There's never anything to worry about. Must be a nice way to live.
When you are as rich and carefree as Jerry Jones, would you worry?

Seriously...the guy "wants to win" but it doesn't kill him if they don't unless it hits him in the wallet.

For a guy that played football and is supposed to be competitive, he's not really that way.

When is the last time someone wanted to win a race, but talked about how nice their new track shoes were and thought that would guarantee success?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jerry Jones felt more personal failure when those 400 ticket holders were denied seating at the Superbowl he hosted than when his team didn't make the playoffs because of his inept offensive line.

Top Bottom