Spagnola: Earth Movers Rarely High Draft Priority

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Spagnola: Earth Movers Rarely High Draft Priority

Posted 19 hours ago

Mickey Spagnola
DallasCowboys.com Columnist

IRVING, Texas – The earth must have moved in 2011. That’s when the Dallas Cowboys selected an offensive lineman with a first-round pick for the first time since 1981.

That selection at No. 9 of Tyron Smith then brought their grand total of offensive tackles taken in the first round over their 51-year draft history to two: Smith and Howard Richards in 1981. That’s it. No, that’s it, seriously.

The earth must have moved again in 1966, because for the only time in their now 52-year draft history the Cowboys selected a guard in the first round – John Niland.

And there must have been some seismic movement in 1979 when the Cowboys used a first-round pick on center Robert Shaw, the only time they’ve ever drafted a center in the first round.

These four guys, Niland, Shaw, Richards and Smith, represent the only four offensive linemen the Cowboys ever have selected in the first round of an NFL Draft.

But now some suggest the Cowboys should use their first two picks, and maybe the first three, of this 2013 draft on offensive linemen to bolster what they’ve struggled bolstering through the draft over the past eight years.

Judging from history, we should all be put on sinkhole alert if that unreasonable request occurs.

Oh, and while I’m at it, let me give you the rather humble list of offensive linemen taken in second rounds over all these years. That would include all of one center, Al Johnson, in 2003. That would include all of four offensive tackles – Bob Asher (1970), Flozell Adams (1998), Solomon Page (1999) and Jacob Rogers (2004). And get ready for this veritable plethora of guards: Burton Lawless (1975), Jim Edison (1976), Larry Allen (1994), Shane Hannah (1995) and Andre Gurode (2002).

And it’s not mattered if Texas Schramm or Jerry Jones was the president/general manager of this team, or if Tom Landry or Jimmy Johnson or Barry Switzer or Chan Gailey or Dave Campo or Bill Parcells or Wade Phillips or Jason Garrett was the head coach. Those are the totals.

So what are the odds that on April 25 the Cowboys select just their third offensive tackle in the first round? Or just their second offensive guard or center in the first round? Vegas might just take all of that off the board.

the new rookie salary structure makes it more palatable to select offensive linemen higher in the draft since previously you just didn’t get enough impact bang for your buck

Hey, and it’s not as if the Cowboys have loaded up on offensive linemen in the second round, either. What’s that total? Like all of 10 in 52 years? (The NFL did not allow the expansion Cowboys to participate in the college entry draft that inaugural 1960 season, and I’m not counting G Steve Wisniewski in 1989 since the Cowboys selected him for the Raiders with their second-round pick to facilitate a trade down that wasn’t completed in time so they could select Daryl Johnston and get extra picks.)

Now I’m not advocating the Cowboys ignore their immense offensive line needs in this draft. Not at all, although not exactly a fan of selecting guards in the top 18 of the first round, probably this team’s biggest need unless they part ways with Doug Free over his rather expensive $7 million 2013 base salary. In that case, then offensive tackle vaults to No. 1 need. And please, don’t even mention Jermey Parnell. I mean 60 snaps a game of him at right tackle might have Tony Romo throwing in the towel.

I do understand times have changed, and obviously so have immediate needs. Also understand that the new rookie salary structure makes it more palatable to select offensive linemen higher in the draft since previously you just didn’t get enough impact bang for your buck. So if that’s what you need, go get it.

But let’s not say the Cowboys have not made the offensive line a priority in the past eight drafts. They’ve selected nine offensive linemen. The problem has been they have not selected particularly well when you give this list a once-over: 2005 – Jacob Rogers (2) and Stephen Peterman (3); 2007 – James Marten (3) and Doug Free (4); 2009 – Robert Brewster (3); 2010 – Sam Young (6); 2011 – Tyron Smith (1), David Arkin (4) and Bill Nagy (7).

That turned into just two fulltime starters for the Cowboys, Free and Smith, although Peterman after two years and three starts with Dallas has gone on to start 87 games with Detroit, including all 16 in each of the past three seasons. Not remotely good enough.

But you know what? The Cowboys weren’t exactly draft wizards when it came to offensive linemen when building that three-time Super Bowl championship run, although I guess selecting now Hall of Famer Larry Allen in the second round of 1994 probably overshadows all the other warts.

Check this out: From 1989 when Jones and Johnson first arrived, through 1995, the Cowboys used 13 drafts choices on offensive linemen back when the draft consisted of 12 rounds instead of the current seven. They really only hit on only three fulltime starters: G Allen (1994), OT Erik Williams (1991) and C Mark Stepnoski (1989). That’s it.

But because of those three, no one remembers the likes of James Richards (3) in 1989 or James Brown (3) in 1992, neither of whom even made it out of training camp their rookie seasons before getting cut. Or how about Hannah (2) in 1995, a guy offensive line coach Hudson Houck got so upset with one morning during his rookie training camp over weight (uh, too much) that he slapped his dish of pancakes off the mess hall table. (Ah, those were the days when something like that was funny, not the national controversy it would be today). He was another who didn’t make the team.

Of the 13 OLs selected in those seven drafts, six didn’t even make the team and three others never got a second contract: Mike Sullivan (one season), Ron Stone (one start three seasons) and George Hegamin (10 starts four seasons).

See, I generally laugh when I hear people insist the Cowboys, back in those days, made a priority of drafting offensive linemen, that they wisely used their resources. Oh yeah, well here is the gospel truth behind the 1992 season starting five up front that led the Cowboys to the Super Bowl XXVII title and Emmitt Smith to his second straight NFL single-season rushing title and to the second-most rushing yards (1,713) in club history.
•LT Mark Tuinei, acquired in 1983 as a rookie free agent defensive tackle out of Hawaii. Made transition to starting offensive tackle in 1986. Not until his sixth year at OT (1991), which was his ninth with the team, did the Cowboys have a winning season.
•LG Nate Newton, acquired in 1986 as a free agent after having played two seasons for the Tampa Bay Bandits in the USFL. Initially signed with Washington in 1983 as a rookie free agent out of Florida A&M and was released after training camp. That made 1991 his first season with a winning record, too.
•C Mark Stepnoski, 1989 third-round pick from Pittsburgh, a collegiate guard the Cowboys transitioned to center, where he took over for aging Tom Rafferty in the final four games of his rookie season.
•RG John Gesek, originally a 1987 10th-round pick of the Raiders, acquired by trade in 1990 for the Cowboys’ 1991 fifth-round choice.
•RT Erik Williams, 1991 third-round pick out of Central State of Ohio. The Cowboys were so clever that year, Williams ended up being their third, third-round selection, drafted after LB Godfrey Miles and the aforementioned James Richards, who didn’t even make the team.

And the backups?

Why none other than 1987 eighth-round pick Kevin Gogan; Alan Veingrad, now known as Shlomo Veingrad, a Jewish Rabbi, initially entering into the NFL as an undrafted free agent signed by Green Bay in 1986 and claimed by the Cowboys in 1991 as a Plan B free agent; and Frank Cornish, a 1992 Plan B signing by the Cowboys.

So if you are scoring at home, two of the five starters on that 1992 Super Bowl championship offensive line were undrafted leftovers from the Landry era, and a third, Gesek, was acquired by trade. The other two were no more than third-round draft choices. And as for the backups, two were Plan B free-agent signings and the other (Gogan) was a one-time starter acquired during the Landry era before Williams was inserted into the lineup in 1992.

Talk about using your high draft resources to stock an offensive line?

There then is the real story about how those Cowboys in the 1990s stocked the initial Super Bowl championship offensive line before hitting the mother lode with Allen in the second round of the ’94 draft (without Jimmy by the way) and replacing free-agent defector Stepnoski in 1995 with free-agent Ray Donaldson, one of the very best free-agent signings the Cowboys have ever made.

data

Forbes #1
You fucktard.

Using that logic, then we should further avoid 1st round Quarterbacks since, gosh darn willabee, we've only drafted two in franchise history - Craig Morton and Troy Aikman.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas just has to get the best player at 18. Odds are that it's a lineman, but it could just as easily and justifiably be almost any other non-ST position.

Fixating on Fluker is stupid. He was rated the 25th or so best player and has been climbing steadily because of perceived need. He hasn't magically become more talented.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Odds are that it's a lineman, but it could just as easily and justifiably be almost any other non-ST position.
In most years yes, but this is an OL/DL draft. Everything else is fairly weak. At 18 there should be either an OL or DL that's either better than or at least equal to what's available at other positions. There just isn't that WR, or LB, or CB or whatever that's going to be so much better than the leftover lineman available that you can say BPA requires we ignore the lines again.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Did Mick actually just say that an OL at 18 doesn't offer enough bang for the buck?

:lol

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Did Mick actually just say that an OL at 18 doesn't offer enough bang for the buck?

:lol
Spags is a dipshit, but he's Joan's mouthpiece. The problem is that he's all but admitting that even though there is a dire need at o-line, the team doesn't give a shit about using high picks there.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
In most years yes, but this is an OL/DL draft.
If that's true, then it's a legit strategy to grab an elite talent at another position and let the deep linemen (and WR's this year too) come to you in later rounds.

Don't get me wrong I like the linemen in this draft too and it's clear the lines in Dallas have been neglected by a pompous fantasy-football playing jerk.

I just don't like the idea that people see holes on the team and seek to draft replacements. That's not how the draft should work. All else being equal-- then draft the lineman. That's key IMO. But if a stud RB you had ranked at 12 falls to you at 18 then you shop a trade or draft him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If that's true, then it's a legit strategy to grab an elite talent at another position and let the deep linemen (and WR's this year too) come to you in later rounds.

Don't get me wrong I like the linemen in this draft too and it's clear the lines in Dallas have been neglected by a pompous fantasy-football playing jerk.

I just don't like the idea that people see holes on the team and seek to draft replacements. That's not how the draft should work. All else being equal-- then draft the lineman. That's key IMO. But if a stud RB you had ranked at 12 falls to you at 18 then you shop a trade or draft him.
True, but there isn't a stud RB.

Who do you want if Warmack, Cooper, and Richardson are gone?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
True, but there isn't a stud RB.

Who do you want if Warmack, Cooper, and Richardson are gone?
RB was an example of course. I'm hoping Star Lotulelei or either of the WR's fall, but I honestly don't care as long as it is the very best player on the Cowboy's board. Fluker would be fine.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not really a fan of either of the WRs. I'd love Lotulelei though, but I think he would have been better for us when we were a 3-4 team.

Of course the year I want a WR -- when there are AJ Greens and Julio Joneses available -- everyone hates the idea.

These WRs do not stack up. They are not elite, lead WR types.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm not really a fan of either of the WRs. I'd love Lotulelei though, but I think he would have been better for us when we were a 3-4 team.

Of course the year I want a WR -- when there are AJ Greens and Julio Joneses available -- everyone hates the idea.

These WRs do not stack up. They are not elite, lead WR types.
That's true, but Dallas is drafting at 18 and the two you mentioned were drafted in the single digits. Hakeem Nicks stupidly fell in 2009, but Jeremy Maclin is exactly the kind of talent you could find at 18.

But not to worry. I see the top 3 OT's, Warmack, and Richardson gone, but Cooper makes it to Dallas.

I'm dreaming about Lotulelei, since his "heart condition" ended up being a false positive, he could be taken first overall. I would feel totally fine if Dallas traded up to get him if he fell any distance at all. He's exactly the kind of monster that could not only complement our two 3-technique guys by soaking up hits as a 1-technique, he can also rush the passer and has a knack for making plays.

You just can't find guys like that.

Top Bottom