BTB - Ten Options For The Cowboys' First-Round Pick

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=2]Dallas Cowboys 2014 Mock Draft Tracker: Ten Options For The Cowboys' First-Round Pick[/h] By One.Cool.Customer@OCC44 on Jan 3 2014, 12:00p

For the last two years, we kicked off mock draft season in early January with a look at 10 names which the early mock drafts suggested could be early candidates for the Cowboys. We do the same thing this year, plus we look back at the early predictions from 2011 and 2012 and what became of them

A year ago, almost to the day, we looked at "Ten Options For The Cowboys' 18th Pick." The year before, we looked at "Ten Options For The Cowboys' 14th Pick."

And here we are again. It's early January, the playoffs haven't even started yet, and we're already looking at mock drafts. As in previous years, that wasn't the plan, but it is what it is.

But before we dive into this year's crop of names already being thrown around as potential number one picks for the Cowboys, let's look back at the predictions made in early January of the previous two years. The following table shows who the ten candidates were in each of those years, sorted in descending order of where they actually ended up being picked.

January 2012January 2013
Rd/PickPOSNameRd/ PickPOSName
1 (7)SMark Barron1 (4)OTLane Johnson
1 (9)LBLuke Kuechly1 (7)OGJonathan Cooper
1 (10)CBStephon Gilmore1 (10)OGChance Warmack
1 (16)DEQuinton Coples1 (13)DTSheldon Richardson
1 (17)CBDre Kirkpatrick1 (15)SKenny Vaccaro
1 (24)OGDavid DeCastro2 (49)DTJohnathan Hankins
1 (26)DEWhitney Mercilus3 (73)QBMike Glennon
2 (35)OLBCourtney Upshaw3 (82)DTJohn Jenkins
2 (39)CBJanoris Jenkins5 (137)DTJesse Williams
7 (224)CBAlfonzo Dennard
- -OTJake Matthews

We know that as a predictor of which players are going to which teams, mock drafts aren't particularly accurate. And looking at the table above, the early names are all over the place, both in terms of position groups and in terms of where prospects eventually ended up being drafted. The hype around defensive tackles in 2013 is especially interesting, as of the four players initially projected as first-round picks, only one actually ended up being taken in the first round. Do not be surprised if something similar happens this year, where mockers have eight (!!!) defensive linemen penciled in for the Cowboys.
Also noteworthy: Neither Morris Claiborne nor Travis Frederick appeared in any of the the early mocks above. In fairness though, nobody could anticipate that early on that the Cowboys would be moving around the draft board on draft day.

But having said all that, mock drafts are not completely useless. They may not be a good predictor of what will happen on draft day, especially not at this time of the year, but for those of us who enjoy talking about the draft, mock drafts can still be a lot of fun regardless, as they can help us familiarize ourselves with the potential draft picks and give us a general sense for where a player fits on the draft boards. With that out of the way, here are the ten names for 2014:

SourcePlayerRationale
Rob Rang, CBSSports Kony Ealy, DE,
Missouri
Tony Romo's issues in the fourth quarter pale in comparison to the full game bludgeoning that occurs weekly to the Cowboys' defense. Expect there to be significant turnover in personnel over the offseason should Dallas elect to keep their 4-3 alignment. Adding a versatile and athletic edge rusher like Ealy would go a long way towards adding some danger to the Dallas defense.
Dane Brugler, CBSSports Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, FS
Alabama
The Cowboys drafted the strong safety of the future last season with J.J. Wilcox, but free safety is a different discussion. Clinton-Dix would provide an immediate upgrade over Barry Church at free safety.
Todd McShay, ESPN Stephon Tuitt, DT, Notre DameThe Cowboys' choice here could just come down to taking the best defensive player available, given the issues they've had on that side of the ball. But in particular, they need D-line help in a very bad way, and I think Tuitt would be an interesting fit. He makes the most sense as a 5-technique defensive end in a 3-4 alignment, but given his athleticism and quickness I feel as though he could also work as a 3-technique D-tackle who gets up the field and disrupts. Tuitt is still a work in progress, but his ceiling is awfully high. Florida State DT Timmy Jernigan is another option here."
Dan Kadar, SB Nation Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, MinnesotaJason Hatcher was a superstar for the Cowboys this season, but Nick Hayden struggled next to him. The addition of Hageman would improve one of the league's worst run defenses, and add an extra element to the pass rush. If the Cowboys happen to show three-man fronts, Hageman has the athleticism to play end as well.
Robert Davis, Football's Future Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida St. The transition from a 3-4 alignment to a 4-3 did not go very smooth this year. Different personnel is needed, and is starts up front. Monte Kiffin needs to apply pressure up the gut, and that's where Jernigan comes in. He has excellent quickness and could be a difference maker inside.
Walter FootballVic Beasley, DE/OLB, ClemsonDespite having DeMarcus Ware on the roster, the Cowboys inexplicably finished in the bottom 10 of sacks this season. Ware being injured has been a problem, but there's no one else who can consistently get to the quarterback. Monte Kiffin is likely to be fired, so Dallas could return to its previous 3-4 defense. If so, Vic Beasley would make a ton of sense.
Jeff Risdon, RealGM Football Ego Ferguson, DT, LSUEven though linemate Anthony Johnson gets more attention, Ferguson’s more consistent [in his] effort and [his] propensity for timely impact plays. Defensive line coach Rod Marinelli would love Ego.
Eric Galko, Optimum Scouting Greg Robinson, OT, AuburnRobinson is reportedly 50/50 on declaring for the draft, and may wait until after the championship game. However, if he does declare, he may be in contention to be the top offensive tackle in this class. Pairing him with Tyron Smith should finally give this offense two bookend tackles
Matt Falk, Draftseason Scott Crichton DE, Oregon StateGeorge Selvie has done a good job, but Dallas needs to add depth and someone to push for a startin[g] position. Crichton has had a huge year at Oregon State. While his home is at defensive end, he can play all along the defensive line making him a hot commodity.
Shawn Zobel, Draftheadquarters Louis Nix, DT, Notre DameNotre Dame's Louis Nix is a junior who has declared for the upcoming draft. A massive 325 pound fire hydrant of a nose tackle, Nix would fit well as a one-technique defensive tackle in Dallas' new defense. With the ability to clog run lanes and take up blockers, he'd be as good as it gets if the Cowboys are looking for a wide-bodied tackle to keep linebacker Sean Lee clean at the second level. Adding Nix to the mix would be a major upgrade for the Dallas defense.
Eight defensive linemen, a safety and a tackle, that about sums up the popular sentiment about who the Cowboys should draft in the 2014 NFL draft. And just like in previous years, no single player has yet emerged as a clear-cut favorite for the Cowboys, though Kony Ealy and Timmy Jernigan did show up in more mocks than the other players.
Who'd be your favorite come April?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
While I agree dline is the most pressing need I want to see some hope for the future to put up with Jerry/gingerfuck for another year, put me down for Manziel

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
While I agree dline is the most pressing need I want to see some hope for the future to put up with Jerry/gingerfuck for another year, put me down for Manziel

As married as Jones is to Romo and how he is already beating the drum that he will be just fine not only next season but deep into the future, you might as well save yourself the frustration of hoping for Manziel.

I once thought Jones would just jump at the chance to draft him but I don't think that anymore.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
As married as Jones is to Romo and how he is already beating the drum that he will be just fine not only next season but deep into the future, you might as well save yourself the frustration of hoping for Manziel.

I once thought Jones would just jump at the chance to draft him but I don't think that anymore.
You're probably right I'm just searching for things to get my hope up at the moment.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Hos will put Jerry's face on a dartboard before we draft an OT

Lotuseater

Banned

All bs aside, is there any way, no matter how remote, that we could move up for Manziel? I think not, so dreamers keep dreaming. He'll probably be playing for the Houston Texans.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
All bs aside, is there any way, no matter how remote, that we could move up for Manziel? I think not, so dreamers keep dreaming. He'll probably be playing for the Houston Texans.
I don't see Manziel being the first QB taken.

Lotuseater

Banned
Even if he isn't, we still don't have a chance at him even if we sacrificed the whole draft to get him. There is just no way it could possibly happen.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The way I look at it is we shouldn't be hellbent on drafting a QB in the 1st, but we should jump on one if he falls like Rodgers did.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is just so far from the prototypical QB I have a really hard time imagining him going in the top 5 picks. He doesn't have a cannon arm, he is 6 foot tall at best and his footwork is horrendous.

I actually really like Manziel but his skill set just never goes high in the draft.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I see noway he goes first with guys like Bridgewater,Bortles, & Carr coming out

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't wish this team on Jernigan.
I know what you mean. I used to hope Dallas would draft Arkansas players. Now I put it in the same camp as being drafted by Oakland or Cleveland

Top Bottom