boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
DeMarcus Ware exit creates Dallas Cowboys pass-rush need

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: March 11, 2014 at 05:29 p.m.
Updated: March 11, 2014 at 06:17 p.m.

The unceremonious exit of DeMarcus Ware from the Cowboys sheds more light on a glaring need for the team: a pass rusher. And while Dallas' No. 16 pick in the draft might be a bit high for Auburn defensive end Dee Ford, his pass-rushing style is starkly similar to that of Ware.

And so are their backgrounds. Both Alabama natives, Ware is from Auburn and played collegiately just up the road from Auburn at Troy University. Ford went to Auburn from Odenville, Ala.

Home-state kinship aside, the Cowboys would have an awfully hard time drafting a player more fitting of Ware's role than Ford. At 252 pounds, he's roughly Ware's size (albeit two inches shorter). Ford is a self-described speed rusher whose first step gets him around the corner of the pocket against offensive tackles who can't reach him. But he has strength and polished pass-rushing moves that allow him to set up offensive linemen for inside moves as well. Sound at all like Ware's game?

The earliest Ford is projected to go in the mock drafts of NFL Media analysts is 20th to the Arizona Cardinals by Charles Davis. While the vogue projection for the Cowboys at No. 16 is to draft a safety, perhaps Alabama's Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, it's certainly not inconceivable that they could consider trading down a few spots to add mid- to late-round value, and grab Ford later in the first round instead.

Ware is coming off career lows of six sacks and 13 games played last season. His 117 career sacks is a club record, but he ranked just third on the team in that category in 2013. But on a club that ranked just 25th in the NFL in sacks as a team (34), it's not as though Dallas has the returning veterans to fill Ware's shoes.

Ford, on the other hand, could be more up to the task.
----------------

Ugh.

I listened to this guy give an interview on Sirius the other day. Real dumb ass.

Used to want him, not anymore.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
DeMarcus Ware exit creates Dallas Cowboys pass-rush need

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: March 11, 2014 at 05:29 p.m.
Updated: March 11, 2014 at 06:17 p.m.

The unceremonious exit of DeMarcus Ware from the Cowboys sheds more light on a glaring need for the team: a pass rusher. And while Dallas' No. 16 pick in the draft might be a bit high for Auburn defensive end Dee Ford, his pass-rushing style is starkly similar to that of Ware.

And so are their backgrounds. Both Alabama natives, Ware is from Auburn and played collegiately just up the road from Auburn at Troy University. Ford went to Auburn from Odenville, Ala.

Home-state kinship aside, the Cowboys would have an awfully hard time drafting a player more fitting of Ware's role than Ford. At 252 pounds, he's roughly Ware's size (albeit two inches shorter). Ford is a self-described speed rusher whose first step gets him around the corner of the pocket against offensive tackles who can't reach him. But he has strength and polished pass-rushing moves that allow him to set up offensive linemen for inside moves as well. Sound at all like Ware's game?

The earliest Ford is projected to go in the mock drafts of NFL Media analysts is 20th to the Arizona Cardinals by Charles Davis. While the vogue projection for the Cowboys at No. 16 is to draft a safety, perhaps Alabama's Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, it's certainly not inconceivable that they could consider trading down a few spots to add mid- to late-round value, and grab Ford later in the first round instead.
I am all about Dee Ford and Jeffcoat. Dee Ford is quick as shit. Might be a dumbass but I could care less about intelligence with a DE. Hopefully that scares other teams off. I just want a RE that is fast and can go get the QB.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I am all about Dee Ford and Jeffcoat. Dee Ford is quick as shit. Might be a dumbass but I could care less about intelligence with a DE. Hopefully that scares other teams off. I just want a RE that is fast and can go get the QB.
I agree with this, particularly with Ford.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
We now have a MAJOR need, even more so than DT. Get ready for another Jerry MAJOR-REACH.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We now have a MAJOR need, even more so than DT. Get ready for another Jerry MAJOR-REACH.
That is the huge downside of releasing Ware. We have nothing at DE. And yes, I am aware George Selvie still plays for the team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I do not see Dee Ford as a value where we pick in the first round.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do not see Dee Ford as a value where we pick in the first round.
I don't either. But I think we could easily trade down to the lower portion of the first and still get him. If not Jeffcoat ran a 4.6 something forty and had 13 sacks last year. You can't tell me he isn't a legit prospect for RDE. Of course it helps that his bloodlines connect to Dallas.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't either. But I think we could easily trade down to the lower portion of the first and still get him. If not Jeffcoat ran a 4.6 something forty and had 13 sacks last year. You can't tell me he isn't a legit prospect for RDE. Of course it helps that his bloodlines connect to Dallas.
Jeffcoat is more like a third round type.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I certainly didn't mean in the first round but I would have no problem taking him in the second. I think he is worth every bit of a second round pick.
I have a hard time saying confidently he is one of the top 50 players in this draft. No offense to him, but he just isn't. Top 100? Sure.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What don't you like about him? He played for Texas?
Actually, I don't have as much of an issue with him as I usually do with Texas players. He actually seems less entitled than the average Longhorn player.

I just don't think he is among the top 64 players in this draft. If we took him in the third, no issue. It is about value, not the player.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually, I don't have as much of an issue with him as I usually do with Texas players. He actually seems less entitled than the average Longhorn player.

I just don't think he is among the top 64 players in this draft. If we took him in the third, no issue. It is about value, not the player.
I just think he is a better player then people give him credit for. For example I would take him over Crichton who is almost unanimously ranked higher. His stats are better, he runs better and in my opinion has way more upside then someone like Crichton. The only drawback to Jeffcoat in my opinion is he could probably use a little more weight. But lets face it, NFL RE's aren't meant to be huge players. They are pass rushers.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I just think he is a better player then people give him credit for. For example I would take him over Crichton who is almost unanimously ranked higher. His stats are better, he runs better and in my opinion has way more upside then someone like Crichton. The only drawback to Jeffcoat in my opinion is he could probably use a little more weight. But lets face it, NFL RE's aren't meant to be huge players. They are pass rushers.
I wouldn't take him over Crichton. But I do think he gets dogged a little too much amongst the draft geeks. He was very very productive.

Top Bottom