Golf Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
Pass...watching guys tee off with hybrids and irons is gay.

Carl

RIP Brother
Deep roughs are an Open trademark. Everytime they get shorter, the scores are higher and they catch shit from the purists. I don't mind making it so hard that people need to be extra careful with their shot making.
It's really that the players have been "spoiled" in the last few years by the graduated rough that the US Open have been using. Not this year, so a one yard miss means 4.5" of rough. The amazing thing is as bad as the rough is right now, they actually cut it on Monday, which they hadn't wanted to do. If they hadn't with the rain, the rough could have been 9".

One thing I do like about Merion is the Par 5's are legit Par 5's, not 4.5's and the bunkers are actually penal.

The winning score looks like being Even. What would it have been without the rain?

Carl

RIP Brother
Pass...watching guys tee off with hybrids and irons is gay.
While driving is a huge skill in golf, I am ok with the Pros having to think their way around a course rather than just trying to blast it to its' knees. Just get rid of the silly wicker baskets and I like this course. Much better than Olympic from last year, which was boring golf. This is interesting to me.

Carl

RIP Brother
One last thought, with the equipment and the ball technology now, I just wonder if the current players are being held in too high of a regard. Like any sport, the elite are the elite, but the average players of today are being overrated because they can bomb the ball, the equipment bails them out but they don't have a second game. One trick ponies?

Carl

RIP Brother
Ok, one more...Jim Furyk got it right. Depending on pin placement, the winning score could be even or 5-6 over...I suspect it will be even.

Carl

RIP Brother
I don't want Hunter Mahan to win just based on the way he was dressed today. #gettingdressedinthedark.

D

Deuce

I don't want Hunter Mahan to win just based on the way he was dressed today. #gettingdressedinthedark.
It's almost like he wanted to look like Ricky Fowler, but let Jesper Parnevik pick the outfit.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I shot a 107. Why do I even play?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I shot a 107. Why do I even play?
Because golf is not just about the score. It is about integrity and challenge. The score is an indicator of how well you met the challenge but at the same time a measurement of whether it is a true reflection of your efforts.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The problem with golf is people look at the entirety of the 18 instead of hole by hole. I pretty much always shoot in the 90s, but if you mix in a nice par or birdie anywhere and I am happy. Bogey golf is my goal.

Cotton

Staff member
Nothing to be ashamed of. Didnt you say it was your first time playing in a while? There are times I've shot a 105 after playing regularly.
It has been over a year. And to be clear, I'm not that guy that throws his club when he shanks a shot. It's just frustrating when you drop a 9 iron shot 10 feet from the hole at 120 yards and then takes out a hybrid fairway wood and tops it resulting in the 20 yard walk of shame to the next shot.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
The problem with golf is people look at the entirety of the 18 instead of hole by hole. I pretty much always shoot in the 90s, but if you mix in a nice par or birdie anywhere and I am happy. Bogey golf is my goal.
Yeah, I had some good shot. I sunk about a 45 foot par shot on hole hole, and then didn't clear the women's tee box on the next with my driver. I have a really bad problem pulling my shoulder. It's the old baseball swing I can't get away from.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I played awful yesterday, but on Friday I pushed two way right behind some tall bushes/trees...I landed both on the green blind. Gives me wood thinking about it. I almost like being in tough spots because you have nothing to lose.

Carl

RIP Brother
Very happy for Justin Rose. Top talent and a decent lad considering he is a combo Saffer/ Pom.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I had some good shot. I sunk about a 45 foot par shot on hole hole, and then . I have a really bad problem pulling my shoulder. It's the old baseball swing I can't get away from.
That's called pinkies and you owe everyone in your foursome a round of drinks

Carl

RIP Brother
And so, onto Muirfield, which I think is the single best golf course and fairest/ truest test in all of major golf. Just look at the winners since the 50's.

Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus, Lee Trevino, Tom Watson, Nick Faldo, Nick Faldo (again) and Ernie Els. If Tiger is back on form, this is his best chance to win a major this year. This course brings out the best in the best.

Last edited:

Carl

RIP Brother
It has been over a year. And to be clear, I'm not that guy that throws his club when he shanks a shot. It's just frustrating when you drop a 9 iron shot 10 feet from the hole at 120 yards and then takes out a hybrid fairway wood and tops it resulting in the 20 yard walk of shame to the next shot.
How many beers did you get in, before, during and after. That's the true test for golfers at our level.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
How many beers did you get in, before, during and after. That's the true test for golfers at our level.
Don't listen to that Doggie, alcohol is not a friend to golf unless it is done at the 19th hole.

Cotton

Staff member
3 total.

Top Bottom