Broaddus: Painting A Favorable Picture For Vince Young In Dallas

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Broaddus: Painting A Favorable Picture For Vince Young In Dallas

Posted 1 hour ago

Bryan BroaddusFootball Analyst/Scout

As a scout you are trained to write what you see and see what you write. You want to paint a picture for that person who is reading your scouting report like you are not in the room to describe that player. My teammates at DallasCowboys.com love to get on me about the way I write stories, not for the subject manor but for how I can take a hundred word piece and turn it into five times the amount in a heartbeat.

I admit, I can be too wordy and draw the subject out a little long but again, it’s about painting that picture. Last week, Nick Eatman wrote a column that used few words but most importantly in my view from a personnel man’s perspective, made perfect sense. Why not take a look at Vince Young as a third quarterback for this team? I am sure that you can come up with several reasons why not and before I observed Young’s pro day in Austin, I would have been right there with you but Nick’s piece actually presents several positive reasons why this team should consider it.

Throughout his career, we have all seen the brilliance of Vince Young but we have also been a part of his short comings. I understand where there have been moments of inexcusable decisions of not protecting the ball but I also remember times where he danced through the rush delivering a strike down the field to beat the Giants. Sure there are plenty reasons to not want to work with Young but there also are some moments to hang your hat on.

From a scouting point of view, I understand what you have to be able to do on the mental side of the game to be a successful quarterback in this league and there will be those that say that Young isn’t smart enough which I have to disagree with. Young appears to be very coachable and the example I will give you once again comes from my visit to Austin where I watched him throw the ball. When Young came into the league, his mechanics would not remind you of Troy Aikman but more of an Olympic shot putter. He wouldn’t throw the ball off his index finger but he would push it like a shot put. During his workout, it was clear that Young had worked with University of Texas offensive coordinator, Major Applewhite on his throwing motion.

His drive away from center, foot work and arm motion was tighter and better put together. He threw the ball with pace and his accuracy was outstanding at all levels. It didn’t matter whether the target was stationary or on the move like Marquise Goodwin running the deep “In” Young had the ball right there. I remember times in Young’s career where he was all over the place with the ball making his receivers have to work much too hard for a reception. This was still the physically gifted quarterback with the ball in his hands but technically, he was a totally different player.

I am sure there are those of you that believe there would be baggage with a signing like this but l honestly don’t believe so. Young is 30 years old but there is not much wear and tear on that body. He has made only 50 career starts and during that time he has 31 wins to his credit. In just watching him work, you can see the growth of him as a person. He has a young son he now looks after and a college degree hanging on the wall. He is mentally in a better position to handle an opportunity to help a club. Nick brought up an excellent point about his ability to run the scout team offense when you play those clubs that run the read option which two of three teams use in your own division.

What I also would like about Young is that in the pre-season, he could give you a better look in the games than the two young quarterbacks that are currently on the roster behind Kyle Orton. We have to remember how poor quarterback play in the pre-season effects the evaluation of the other offensive players on your squad. From experience, I can’t tell you how many times where receivers, tight ends and backs have run good routes but the ball doesn’t get to them because of a poor throw or read from a quarterback that has no business being on the field.

Will this front office and coaching staff pull the trigger on Vince Young? Probably not but there is a reason they tried to claim Mike Kafka off waivers from the Patriots because they understand they have several young players they have to evaluate and if the offense grinds to a halt, they will struggle to get that read to set their 53. Vince Young might not make a lot of sense to fans out there but I have to give Nick a lot of credit, because it makes perfect sense to me.

Just stop with this nonsense already. Please.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm getting concerned with the amount of team mouthpieces clamoring for this, especially considering that Vince Young is what, exactly the same age as Kyle Orton? So it's not like we're getting a prospect.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
With these preparatory articles from the team shills it sure seems like we'll end up with this retard before long.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
With these preparatory articles from the team shills it sure seems like we'll end up with this retard before long.
No shit. I can see no reason to bring this guy in at all. He doesn't fit what we do at all.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No shit. I can see no reason to bring this guy in at all. He doesn't fit what we do at all.
For the sake of invoking the Spagnola Principle, why would we bring him in when teams whose systems he does fit with are bringing in guys like Tarvaris Jackson, Dennis Dixon and Pat White?

He's dumb as a box of rocks and is obviously missing something in the leadership/personality category.

I do like how quickly Broaddus skirted over the intelligence piece...said he was smart enough but quickly changed the subject to mechanics without elaborating.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
He's dumb as a box of rocks and is obviously missing something in the leadership/personality category.

I do like how quickly Broaddus skirted over the intelligence piece...said he was smart enough but quickly changed the subject to mechanics without elaborating.
He is smart enough...to tie his own shoes. Barely.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
RTN: 4 Statistical Reasons for Vince Young to Dallas

Posted 6 hours ago

By Jonathan Bales

Last week, Nick Eatman posted an interesting article detailing five reasons the Cowboys should sign former Texas quarterback Vince Young. Bryan Broaddus followed that up with a scout’s view of the situation. So here I am to break down the potential acquisition from a statistical standpoint.

Like Nick and Bryan, I believe signing Young would be a smart move for Dallas. He’s a high-upside player who can beat defenses a variety of ways, and he’ll come cheaply; if things don’t work out in camp, the Cowboys can cut him without any strings attached. That’s important. Take a look at four numbers I believe demonstrate Young’s fit in Dallas.

6.8: Robert Griffin III’s YPC as a rookie *– the highest mark in the NFL by nearly a yard.

Why would RGIII’s rushing prowess affect the Cowboys’ quarterback decisions? As Nick and Bryan pointed out, Young can give the defense a unique look in practice. With Griffin and possibly Michael Vick set to run read-option, the Cowboys need to be prepared to defend it. In RGIII’s first game against Dallas, he completed 19 of 27 passes for 304 yards and four touchdowns, and you can bet that much of that passing success was generated indirectly through Griffin’s ability to take off on the ground. Young can imitate Griffin and Vick in practice in a way that Kyle Orton simply can’t.

6.9: Young’s net-YPA during his final two years in Tennessee.

Young struggled with interceptions during his lone season in Philadelphia, but he was quietly really effective in 2009 and 2010 in Tennessee. Net-YPA is a stat that factors sack yards into a quarterback’s yards per attempt. Even though Young has taken too many sacks during his career, including on 7.7 percent of his passes in 2010, he’s still been very efficient as a passer.

A year after finishing in the top 12 in net-YPA in 2009, Young checked in at sixth in 2010. He also tossed 20 touchdowns to only 10 picks during that time, a ratio superior to Tony Romo’s career mark.

7.7: The average number of rushing touchdowns for the Cowboys since 2010.

The Cowboys obviously need to get better near the goal line and in short-yardage situations. Running is statistically superior to passing near the goal line and on third-and-short, so it’s important for Dallas to be able to pick up those tough yards.

The most common explanation for the Cowboys’ short-yardage woes is poor offensive line play. That idea is merited, but the easiest way to help them out might be to give the offense another blocker. Since Young can run the football, the offense wouldn’t need to “waste” a potential blocker because no one needs to hand it off. In effect, Young’s rushing ability results in the simplest mathematical explanation you’ll ever see me write: 10 blockers is better than nine blockers.

Now, I’m not saying Young should repeatedly come in to replace Romo, nor do I think the Wildcat formation should be a regular part of the Cowboys’ offense. But in short-yardage situations when the defense “knows” the offense is going to run anyway, it could be advantageous to bring in an extra lineman (one more even than what’s in the offense’s normal “Jumbo” package), a luxury the offense can’t afford with Romo handing off the ball.

45.9: Percentage of Young’s games with a 95.0 passer rating or rushing touchdown

Young has historically been a volatile player; he’s either really on or completely off. That’s not necessarily something you want in a starting quarterback, but the trait is more valuable in a backup. The reason is that when most teams’ starting quarterbacks get injured, the team is dramatically worse; most backups simply aren’t capable of long-term success. That means knowing exactly what you’ll get from your backup can be bad; if he doesn’t at least have the upside to play like a starter at times, that hurts. You actually want up-and-down play from your backup because his median production probably won’t be good enough to consistently win.

Despite a career passer rating of just 74.4, Young has posted at least a 95.0 rating or a rushing touchdown in nearly half of his 61 career games. That’s a high mark for someone you’re asking to come in and be your backup. He’s versatile enough to beat defenses with his arm or legs, and the high ceiling that creates is exactly what you want if your starter goes down.
---------------

Now that idiot Bales is bean counting to campaign for him?

AYYYYYYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Cotton

Staff member
This is just stupid.

Cotton

Staff member
It is like some bizarre mass hysteria.
One dumbass mediot hooks onto it, and all of a sudden it's a great idea and worthy of many other stupid articles supporting it.

It would be a horrific move, which means Jerry is most likely pondering it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowlishaw: Vince Young as a Cowboy? There’s only one way it could work, and even that's a stretch
SportsDayDFW.com

Published: 18 June 2013 11:05 PM

Updated: 18 June 2013 11:05 PM

SportsDay columnist Tim Cowlishaw answered reader questions during a live chat Wednesday. Here are some highlights:

Should the Cowboys bring Vince Young into camp for a tryout?

Tim Cowlishaw: Pretty sure my answer to this question 5 days ago was no. Just to elaborate, if you wanted to bring him in just to run some wildcat plays, I guess that's fine. But that's a roster spot that teams consider to be rather precious. It's a shame, he was obviously a great college player and had a good first year or two in Tennessee, but a lot of things seemed to conspire to keep him from progressing.

Rumor mill is that Devin Hester may be released. Is this someone the Cowboys would take a look at?

Tim Cowlishaw: I have not read anything about that. I would say the Cowboys now believe they have some people who can return kicks and punts -- Bryant, Harris, and B.W. Webb. So I would have to find out why the Bears are getting rid of Hester (presumably money). They have tried and tried to make him a front line receiver and he isn't one.

Is there a point to keeping Vickers on the roster? He's in his last year, coming off back surgery and they've got 4 TE's now.

Tim Cowlishaw: I think there's a point to having a fullback, whether it's Vickers or someone else. These guys tend to be undervalued, even the best (Vonta Leach) just got dropped by the Ravens. But they open holes and it seems Murray has been more effective running behind a fullback, at least he was early in his career.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Why in God's name would you do this to a team? He proved how fucking stupid he can be with his "Dream Team" shat. Everything this kid has touched since he beat USC has turned to crap.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He and Tebow are a lot alike except he goes to strip clubs instead of church. It is amazing to me, all this Zone-Read being run around the league and three running QBs can barely find a job.

If I was going to run a zone read offense, I wouldn't have a pocket passing backup.

Last edited:
Top Bottom