FOX Sports 1 initial impressions.......

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Did any get a chance to check out the new Fox Sports channel?

I watched a couple of programs yesterday. Their CF preview show and their nightly highlight wrap up show.

The CF show has some promise but that Fox Sports Live show that is supposed to go head to head with SportsCenter needs a lot of work.

I like the format of the program with how they bounce back and forth between showing highlights to having in depth "round table" discussions about a specific topic but the writing for the two desk guys delivering the highlights is horrid. They were trying too hard to be funny so it came off as corny and awkward.

They need to either improve the writing for the highlights, get guys who genuinely have a sense of humor and know how to deliver funny lines, or just be straight forward and focus more on the highlights and substance instead of trying to out-humor the SC anchors.

I prefer the latter. Show me more highlights of the days action and I'm fine. When I tune in I'm not expecting Comedy Central material so I'm fine with a straight laced sports program.

Any other thoughts?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Did any get a chance to check out the new Fox Sports channel?

I watched a couple of programs yesterday. Their CF preview show and their nightly highlight wrap up show.

The CF show has some promise but that Fox Sports Live show that is supposed to go head to head with SportsCenter needs a lot of work.

I like the format of the program with how they bounce back and forth between showing highlights to having in depth "round table" discussions about a specific topic but the writing for the two desk guys delivering the highlights is horrid. They were trying too hard to be funny so it came off as corny and awkward.

They need to either improve the writing for the highlights, get guys who genuinely have a sense of humor and know how to deliver funny lines, or just be straight forward and focus more on the highlights and substance instead of trying to out-humor the SC anchors.

I prefer the latter. Show me more highlights of the days action and I'm fine. When I tune in I'm not expecting Comedy Central material so I'm fine with a straight laced sports program.

Any other thoughts?
I agree with all of this but I thought the roundtable was a bit clunky as well, they need to iron out a lot of rough patches.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I was impressed the the caliber of UFC fights they were able to get that first night.

gator

Brand New Member
I was impressed the the caliber of UFC fights they were able to get that first night.
It was a great card on paper and the fights didn't disappoint at all. One of the best UFC events I've watched.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I hate ESPN so bad and hope this Fox channel turns out pretty good. Unfortunately I am not impressed so far. It's closer to being another ESPN than something completely different.

As far as the UFC, soccer, NASCAR, and other lesser sports, they need to dial it way back.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I hate ESPN so bad and hope this Fox channel turns out pretty good. Unfortunately I am not impressed so far. It's closer to being another ESPN than something completely different.

As far as the UFC, soccer, NASCAR, and other lesser sports, they need to dial it way back.
I agree with your comment regarding the channel's content. NASCAR and UFC dominate way too much of their air time.

I'm hoping that it's only because we're still technically in a slow sports cycle. Once college football, the NFL, the NBA, and the NHL start up I'm guessing we're going to see a lot less soccer and UFC.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I agree with your comment regarding the channel's content. NASCAR and UFC dominate way too much of their air time.

I'm hoping that it's only because we're still technically in a slow sports cycle. Once college football, the NFL, the NBA, and the NHL start up I'm guessing we're going to see a lot less soccer and UFC.
I don't think it will that dramatic a drop off Fox has contracts with Nascar, UFC and FOX 1 took over their Soccer channel, I am sure Football will be a big part of what they do but I think they are trying to promote the channel to people who like these other niche sports and have no place to get in depth coverage.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The other thing is every time I put the channel on, half the screen is covered in graphics. It's way too much. Who wants to lose half their screen?

1bigfan13

Staff member
I actually prefer the back up anchors on the Fox Sports Live show. The regular guys, Onrait and O'Toole, don't do anything for me.

I think they'll eventually be replaced.

D

Deuce

The other thing is every time I put the channel on, half the screen is covered in graphics. It's way too much. Who wants to lose half their screen?
I actually prefer the back up anchors on the Fox Sports Live show. The regular guys, Onrait and O'Toole, don't do anything for me.

I think they'll eventually be replaced.
I agree with both of these points.

Top Bottom