Watkins: Available players on the free agent market

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Available players on the free agent market

June, 10, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

The Dallas Cowboys have $9.7 million in salary cap space. The Cowboys can use the space to sign the remaining draft picks without contracts and potential free agents.

Here's five with the potential to join the Cowboys in case of injury:

Laurent Robinson. He's on the free agent market because of health issues. He didn't recover from a concussion last season while in Jacksonville, but Cowboys' officials are more concerned about an ankle injury. When Robinson played with the Cowboys in 2011, he caught 54 passes for 858 yards and 11 touchdowns. The Cowboys couldn't afford him when he hit the free agent market, but if something happens to one of their receivers they can pick him up for the veteran minimum now.

Winston Justice. The Cowboys expressed interest in the right tackle, but were able to getDoug Free to accept a pay cut so they keep him. If the Cowboys want a veteran tackle, Justice is available. His salary demands were a little high a few weeks ago, but he could lower them as the season nears.

Cedric Benson. The Cowboys drafted Joseph Randle in the fifth-round with the goal of replacing DeMarco Murray who has battled injuries the last two seasons. Benson has endured some off-the-field issues which raises questions with any team. But he could be a nice pickup in case of injury.

Sedrick Ellis. Health and age are concerns with the projected starters of the Cowboys defensive line. Ellis would be a nice signing in case one of the tackles, Jay Ratliff or Jason Hatcher go down. Ellis has drawn interest from several teams, so his availability is a question mark. Anthony Hargrove is also on the roster and somebody who can play defensive end and defensive tackle that provides the team with veteran depth.

Ronde Barber. He's retired and headed to television, but with inexperience at the Cowboys' safety position maybe he returns. Barber knows the Tampa 2 defense and is a trusted veteran defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin trusts. It would be for only one season and pairing him up with Barry Church could be seen as a positive.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Isn't Eric Winston still out there? Or did he sign elsewhere?

Regarding Laurent Robinson I might pick him up even without any injuries at WR. He was that good for us in 2011.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Regarding Laurent Robinson I might pick him up even without any injuries at WR. He was that good for us in 2011.
Winston is still available.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I don't think Robinson is in the cards unless we have an injury issue at WR. Drafting Williams pretty much put an end to that.

I don't think Winston is of any interest either since all he can do is play right tackle.

We got Doug Free. He's just as good. And stuff.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As an aside, I'd sign Sedrick Ellis right now. You could do a lot worse for DT depth.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As an aside, I'd sign Sedrick Ellis right now. You could do a lot worse for DT depth.
Yep...particularly when really none of our projected DTs have really been in a 4-3.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
You'll get Pendleton and like it. ~lipsmack~

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Richard Seymour is probably overpricing himself into retirement, but I'd try to see if he had some gas in the tank.

Lotuseater

Banned
Richard Seymour is probably overpricing himself into retirement, but I'd try to see if he had some gas in the tank.
And play him at tackle?

Cujo

DCC 4Life

I agree. I still think Ronde Barber would be a decent signing depending on how much he wanted.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Can we just sign Idonije to a 1 year deal?

I have no clue why nobody seems interested in him, perhaps he has some kind of medical issue, but considering our coaching staff, the scheme change and what we have personnel-wise on the DL, he'd be a great fit.

Top Bottom